Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2401268 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1605 on: November 21, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
Eeh, I think I have a lot less in common with Sigrun than you seem to assume... Okay, maybe I say something Sigruny every once in a while. Maybe Minna really did capture some defining aspect of being Norwegian.
I'm mildly offended but mostly painfully jealous of the fact that you have enough free time to wonder how to spend it all =P
It's more like I'm deciding what I should give up. Working full time is a lot harder on the hobbies than a student schedule is.  I only have time now to do 2 or 3 things after I get back home. :(
Feel free to PM.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1606 on: November 21, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
It is 3:18 pm, sun is shining and it is bedtime for me. Afterwards I promise to post the knitting script.
What is this?
It has been grey and cold here all day, and the sun was already going down at that time, meaning it got dark and more grey, and you tell me the sun was shining over there?
Why don't I live a bit farther in the west?  :(
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1607 on: November 21, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
What is this?
It has been grey and cold here all day, and the sun was already going down at that time, meaning it got dark and more grey, and you tell me the sun was shining over there?
Why don't I live a bit farther in the west?  :(

It gets dark around 4:20 pm, my driver's licence forbid driving from 4:36 pm today. But the light was good enough for me until nearly 5 pm. The last days. But as I woke an hour before, it was pitch dark outside ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1608 on: November 21, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
It gets dark around 4:20 pm, my driver's licence forbid driving from 4:36 pm today. But the light was good enough for me until nearly 5 pm. The last days. But as I woke an hour before, it was pitch dark outside ;).

4:36 pm is an oddly specific time...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1609 on: November 21, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
4:36 pm is an oddly specific time...

It is the official time for sundown this day. Tomorrow it will be another time, its the same with sunrise. I have to check those times for every date I'm driving a vehicle requiring my driver's licence. If I would be caught after that time I might be feed and if in addition an accident happened, no insurance would pay.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1610 on: November 21, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
It is the official time for sundown this day. Tomorrow it will be another time, its the same with sunrise. I have to check those times for every date I'm driving a vehicle requiring my driver's licence. If I would be caught after that time I might be feed and if in addition an accident happened, no insurance would pay.
Why can't you drive after sundown? I've never heard of that kind of stipulation.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #1611 on: November 21, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
Why can't you drive after sundown? I've never heard of that kind of stipulation.
Making a wild guess here, but I think people with certain vision problems aren't allowed to drive after dark? I had a teacher in middle school who had something like that, but I can't remember what it's called now...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1612 on: November 21, 2014, 03:21:31 PM »
Making a wild guess here, but I think people with certain vision problems aren't allowed to drive after dark? I had a teacher in middle school who had something like that, but I can't remember what it's called now...

Yeah that's it. It is some variation called "night blindness". Some tiers of the retina do not work properly so I am not able to build up contrasts after dawn. I see mostly black and if Lanterns are around, I see their lights as small dots, depending on their intensity.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1613 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Yeah that's it. It is some variation called "night blindness". Some tiers of the retina do not work properly so I am not able to build up contrasts after dawn. I see mostly black and if Lanterns are around, I see their lights as small dots, depending on their intensity.

Ouch, it mustn't be pleasant during the winter... Luckily the only eye problem I have is myopia.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1614 on: November 21, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »

Ouch, it mustn't be pleasant during the winter... Luckily the only eye problem I have is myopia.

I think it is more unpleasant for the people I have to ask for help. It has been long time since the last person called me a liar about it, that really hurts especially when they bring to a really dark spot and say: "Okay, lets look how long you will go acting on like that". But as Solvei had a teacher having similar problems maybe that is linked to our choice of jobs :P.

Good old myopia, during daytime I am hyperopic :D.  My boyfriend has one eye myopic and one hyperopic with 8 dioptres difference. If I look through his glasses they make my head spin around.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1615 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
Good thing you don't live further north. You'd be virtually blind large parts of the year (but then again the summer days are also long/never-ending).

I only wear glasses when I drive really. I'm legally required to *sigh*.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1616 on: November 21, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
Good thing you don't live further north. You'd be virtually blind large parts of the year (but then again the summer days are also long/never-ending).

I only wear glasses when I drive really. I'm legally required to *sigh*.

Maybe I would be better with the walking stick if I was forced on using it half of the year. On the other hand: Long summer's are one point on my list why I really like to visit nordic countries. Besides Landscape, wandering and stuff ;).

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1617 on: November 21, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
Oh yes, I'm also myopic, the left eye more than the right one, on the other hand my hearing is quite well, the left side better than the right. And I got the feeling that I actually see better in the dark (without glasses, I mean)? Might be my imagination...

Man, that thing with 8 dioptres sounds... exertive.
But so does nyctalopia.
Well, I guess it's easier if you are used to and know how to deal with it.

Maybe I would be better with the walking stick if I was forced on using it half of the year. On the other hand: Long summer's are one point on my list why I really like to visit nordic countries. Besides Landscape, wandering and stuff ;).
And now, with SSSS we all have another reason. ;)
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1618 on: November 21, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
Oh yes, I'm also myopic, the left eye more than the right one, on the other hand my hearing is quite well, the left side better than the right. And I got the feeling that I actually see better in the dark (without glasses, I mean)? Might be my imagination...

But so does nyctalopia.

There is still a ship to be boarded and as some of us have pirate experience by now the venture should work.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1619 on: November 21, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

But so does nyctalopia.
I'm really shortsighted in both eyes (I had to look up "myopic." I never knew its scientific name).  I think I have okay hearing, but my ADD makes it hard to filter out background noises, so even a small amount of noise can make it hard for me to understand someone.  That said, my sense of touch is pretty strong, and I've noticed that I learn best through physical contact and using my hands.

Also, back on the topic of cars, I did my first illegal thing EVER just a few minutes ago.  I wanted to pick up a package from the post office, but all the parking spots were full, so I... parked somewhere that wasn't a parking spot.  I know, I'm a rebel.  I was kind of worried though, because my school's parking services are pure evil, and I was parked right around the corner from them.
Feel free to PM.