Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404651 times)

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #3045 on: July 20, 2022, 10:38:22 PM »
Ooh wow, your characters and art are so neat!!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #3046 on: July 21, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »
Ooh wow, your characters and art are so neat!!

Thanks!
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

dmeck7755

« Reply #3047 on: July 21, 2022, 05:48:47 PM »
Thanks!

I second this.  Very cool indeed
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3048 on: July 23, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
Don’t mean to clog the forum with drawings and art and all that but i have a few more doodles for Skybound City (Formerly Eyes Of The Forest)

One of the main cast using sign language lives on! Rune uses a bit of a mishmash of Danish sign and British sign (despite being Norwegian) as one of his primary forms of communication. He can talk but he’s hard of hearing so sometimes has difficulties hearing himself and others speaking.

As for the other two, Esbjörn and Jannick are dubiously a couple. Jannick being the troll man with the funky tattoos and Esbjörn being the smaller Huldrekall. Jannick’s tattoos don’t have much meaning, they just look neat (and are a nightmare to draw).

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3049 on: July 23, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
MintheTea, you can't "clog" an art thread with your excelent "doodles"! This is exactly the place and the audience for them! So please keep clogging! :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3050 on: July 24, 2022, 12:41:54 PM »
MintheTea, you can't "clog" an art thread with your excelent "doodles"! This is exactly the place and the audience for them! So please keep clogging! :)

Thank youuuuu. I get a little nervous sometimes so it's good to know you all appreciate it.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3051 on: July 24, 2022, 03:53:06 PM »
We definitely do, so keep them coming! This thread is for any art, but yours is also highly relevant to our interests, with creatures of Nordic myths and webcomics!

Which is by any means not meant to indicate that art about e.g. everyday subjects would not be welcome. Not at all! We love the face studies, landscapes, flowers… Everything is welcome here!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3052 on: July 28, 2022, 02:14:19 AM »

Dropping a concept piece for that short comic i was mentioned, featuring our very tentative main character and an incredibly familiar swan. I’m sort of leaning towards a simplified watercolor esque style with bits of texture sprinkled throughout.

No guarantee about the color of the swan remaining orange, it just fit with the color scheme i was going for. (The purple and orange palette Minna used for Tuonela in aRTD has infested my brain in a very good way)

This scene would come closer to the end of the comic as our main character tries to escape death. That’s about the only thing I have fully planned as of now though! Enjoy.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3053 on: July 28, 2022, 06:12:47 AM »
What a lovely piece! I really like your style!

However I recommend changing the color of the Swan to avoid directly copying it from Minna. There is nothing in the mythology about it’s color (it’s actually only briefly mentioned in the Kalevala for example) so I would assume it was expected to be white like all swans are (in Finland). Your mythical creature can of course be any color, but if it’s orange like that it looks like the Minna Sundsberg Swan of Tuonela.

Btw have you read Year in Hereafter? The Swan features in it too on occasion! Miikka’s art style changes a lot during the comic so far so I think there are a couple of versions of the Swan there http://yihcomic.com/pages/page1.php

Note however that the story is unfinished and it’s being made as a labor of love rather than work, which means it sometimes goes on long hiatus. Miikka came back to it just recently so hopefully it will keep going for a while now. Unfortunately the artist comment part was lost during the last page overhaul, it might have been useful reading for you as an aspiring webcomic artist. Anyways well worth a read!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #3054 on: July 28, 2022, 09:31:19 AM »

Dropping a concept piece for that short comic i was mentioned, featuring our very tentative main character and an incredibly familiar swan. I’m sort of leaning towards a simplified watercolor esque style with bits of texture sprinkled throughout.

This scene would come closer to the end of the comic as our main character tries to escape death. That’s about the only thing I have fully planned as of now though! Enjoy.

Wow!! That looks great!!!

-Frank Zappa

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3055 on: July 28, 2022, 01:06:29 PM »
What a lovely piece! I really like your style!

However I recommend changing the color of the Swan to avoid directly copying it from Minna.

Btw have you read Year in Hereafter?

Yeah that's about what I figured with the swan. Still mucking around with colors and all that and sometimes inspiration draws far too heavily from the source! I'll probably distinguish it from other swans by giving it a more expressive face rather than making it orange. Tuonela itself will shift in colors and design as well, I'm considering more of a blue and orange-red rather than purple and orange like it's depicted in aRTD.

And I have! I'm going in for a re-read recently as I lost track after his first big break so my understanding of the plot is sort of wonky but it's definitely going to be worth it! I didn't know anyone else on this forum read/was actively reading YiH.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3056 on: July 28, 2022, 01:31:31 PM »
There are a few, although I’m sure the long breaks have caused some to lose track. I think Miikka has some plot summaries available though.

In the Finnish tradition Tuonela twndw to be very boring. It’s depicted almost as normal life (people have houses and work on fields etc) but leached of everything. There is no color, no emotion, no satisfaction. No toil ever results in reward. Sometimes the dead eat, but the food doesn’t taste like anything and it doesn’t nourish. On the other hand there is no particular pain either, just a nothingness to everything. But such a Tuonela would also look boring :)

dmeck7755

« Reply #3057 on: July 29, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »
For all of you who paint :)

-Frank Zappa

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #3058 on: July 29, 2022, 01:36:07 PM »
That's not going to work. I think I need one that says POSSIBLY CADMIUM in (cadmium?) red letters.
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

dmeck7755

« Reply #3059 on: July 29, 2022, 02:15:10 PM »
That's not going to work. I think I need one that says POSSIBLY CADMIUM in (cadmium?) red letters.

Ingesting CADMIUM red would be a very bad idea....

Isn't there a CADMIUM yellow also?

-Frank Zappa