Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 405199 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2970 on: February 22, 2022, 03:18:42 AM »
I admit to being a bit uninspired lately, but occasionally an idea can still hit me.  Anybody seen the movie, Encanto?  A Colombian family with magical powers, and a swell redemption arc.  One of the young people's powers is that she has extremely acute hearing.  The movie glosses over how irritating such a power could be.  But - what if Dolores wanted to practice selective hearing?  Like, say, just focus on the purring of the happy cats in the valley?

Better in concept than in execution, but fun to doodle anyway.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:22:14 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #2971 on: February 23, 2022, 01:47:25 AM »
OMG yeah I did watch the movie and could not stop thinking about how terrifying being able to hear everything would be... this is such a cool way to represent selectively hearing Every Cat Around You!!! I love how all the cats are up to different things.

Mirasol, that's also a neat Allura drawing! I remember that scene, you have the serenity and the weird suspense of it down. Also a very well-coloured sun.

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2972 on: February 23, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »
Wave, that's a very clever idea. I, too, felt sorry for Dolores, both because her power would give me sensory overload and because, oof, imagine all the secrets she would learn against her will. (She's not one for gossip, it seems: she never even spilled the beans about Bruno!)
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2973 on: February 23, 2022, 11:39:24 AM »
I do not know the movie jet but I really like the drawing.

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2974 on: February 23, 2022, 11:57:38 AM »
Having Dolores concentrate on kitty purring would definitely be calming.  Imagine living in a world were you never have silence..
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2975 on: March 01, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
Thank you all for the comments! :)) catbirds, the scene fascinated me since the first time I saw it. It was happy and sad and kind of creepy all at the same time. I knew I had to draw it and then... I proceeded not to do that for several years. :'D

Awww, Wave I think that would be a great way to cope with hearing such as Dolores has. (I haven´t actually seen Encanto, but Youtube has been very insistent on recommending me videos related to it. So basically, I have all the songs stuck in my head all day anyways.)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2976 on: April 30, 2022, 04:00:18 AM »
I made it to an Urban Sketchers session today.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2977 on: April 30, 2022, 04:16:46 AM »
So... you sketched people sketching...

SKETCHCEPTION!!!!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2978 on: April 30, 2022, 11:18:08 PM »
And I in turn showed up in another participant's drawing!
So, yes!  :haw:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2979 on: May 09, 2022, 10:12:02 AM »
Great drawing, Wave. That fellow on the right is particularly well done. I can see his glasses, ear, hair, the pattern of his jacket... What did you use for the shadows?

Also, if that guy is also sketching than we have your sketch of a person sketching a (third) person sketching... that's three levels of sketcheption! Don't go deeper, please!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2980 on: May 10, 2022, 03:50:48 AM »
Great drawing, Wave. That fellow on the right is particularly well done. I can see his glasses, ear, hair, the pattern of his jacket... What did you use for the shadows?

This whole drawing was a second choice.  First choice was the large sculpture and fountain just 'offscreen' to the left - the tree framing the left was used to frame the right of that discarded picture.  The lady in the midground and the gentleman on the right (who incidentally was also wearing a ball cap) were also drawing that.  The gentleman in the midground facing away from me was drawing the skateboarders and tanks vaguely alluded to in the distance. 
I was attempting to draw the sculpture and surrounds with some coloured drawing pens, then was going to use use some watercolours to add shading but alas! those drawing pens were not, in fact, impervious to water like the black ones I have.  An hour's work laying out the intricate geometric lines of the sculpture and fitting random passers-by in perspective was ruined with the first swipe to lay in background colour.
Annoyed and disheartened, but with another 20 minutes to go before the group assembled for the group korero, I took out the cheap-ass sketch pad and a halfway-dried-out brushpen and looked at something else for a while.  That went okay, so shading was added with ink wash. 

Now you know. 
(The ruined drawing is no longer available, as my daughter was using watercolours next to me, and appreciated the piece of high-quality paper.  She painted something on the back.)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2981 on: May 10, 2022, 08:34:37 AM »
Tanks? Interesting urban sketching!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2982 on: May 14, 2022, 01:07:47 AM »
Auckland had an industrial area on its harbour with a bunch of tanks for storage of chemicals etc.  It was recently redone into a whole public park, known as Silo Park, with some of the tanks left intact, connected to the overall waterfront development as a recreational hub.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2983 on: May 14, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
What a fine resource! Imagine those tanks as surfaces for public art. Something like that has recently been done in Western Australia, with old silos and industrial buildings used as underlying substrates for some truly amazing murals of WA flora and fauna, with panels of information about what the viewer sees put under the pictures. A project like that could really enhance the city, turning an eyesore into wonderful public art. Educational opportunity as well!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2984 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:52 AM »
What a fine resource! Imagine those tanks as surfaces for public art. Something like that has recently been done in Western Australia, with old silos and industrial buildings used as underlying substrates for some truly amazing murals of WA flora and fauna, with panels of information about what the viewer sees put under the pictures. A project like that could really enhance the city, turning an eyesore into wonderful public art. Educational opportunity as well!

Yes, I've seen some of these! Notable examples are the Wellington Dam and the grain silos down in Albany, Ravensthorpe and some of the towns in the wheatbelt. Also in various parts of the city and country areas, you can find smaller murals painted on the, uh... those metal boxes that I think are for electrical or water stuff or something? The ones that are a bit smaller than the size of a person.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport