Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 405128 times)

ohnosir

Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2910 on: September 04, 2021, 01:45:22 AM »
Omg Keep Looking I love that! The angles and lines....anytime I'm let loose to photograph things it ends up almost entirely powerlines! And don't worry, litho is fun, but it's a mixture of art, chemistry and black magic...spend hours on a beautiful drawing and get the acid mix or hydration (dependent on even environmental pressures), and you ruin the whole thing...believe me I've lived it DX Really the only people who love it are legit insane, as I've learned thru meeting others
moredhel - that paper is so great, but I'm a paper whore as a printmaker. Where are you located? Not having access to the right paper is rough like cold press  8)
sorry I couldn't help it!

ohnosir

« Reply #2911 on: September 04, 2021, 02:26:26 AM »
EDIT: okay I say litho is fun but I lied, it is full of pain and regret but once you drink the nitric acid you can't ever escape

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2912 on: September 04, 2021, 01:49:18 PM »
Beuatiful linocut you made Keep Looking
I only once made a linocut at school but I decided I like my fingers too much to try it again.

ohnosir I am not in the middle of nowhere. But my watercolors are done very watery I tend to dissolve even watercolor papers. The one I know I like working with seems not to be sold by anybody I can find inside the EU. It may be because the paper is relatively expensive but I would pay to avoid the crazy times it takes to get it via mail from china. Currently I try other papers but I am not happy with the ones I tried.

ohnosir

« Reply #2913 on: September 08, 2021, 09:06:04 PM »
moredhel I'm sorry to hear that! I personally get Stillman & Birn sketchbooks, I don't tend to work too watery but I've yet to have a page warp from them. Unsure where that's made/how much shipping costs to you might be!
Any paper bigger than a drawing pad I'm afraid I can't help with, all of my big pieces are prints (some with watercolour) on Rives BFK, but that shit expensive  :'D

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2914 on: September 16, 2021, 03:32:04 AM »
I love your linocut, Keep Looking.  Gosh, I feel that ohnosir, I loved doing prints as well but the studio equipment required is generally not doable at home.  I suppose that is something that could be accomplished at home with smaller blocks, but would still require infrastructure to deal with the lino and the wood.  (I am famously bad with adhesives and my one attempt to get a piece of lino onto wood was very uneven.  I guess I needed a better press than a pile of books, or something.)
I do have a scavenged platen glass from a photocopier, which I can paint onto to make monoprints.  I don't do this very often, so I'm not all that skilled at it, but here's a fairly recent example:

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2915 on: September 16, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
Beautiful prints.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2916 on: September 18, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
So much printing talent! Keep, I echo ohnosir, the lines are great. And wave, I like your diy setup, scavenging stuff is great. Both prints are great, but I particularly like the person dancing? fencing? You're so good at conveying motion.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2917 on: September 22, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
So much printing talent! Keep, I echo ohnosir, the lines are great. And wave, I like your diy setup, scavenging stuff is great. Both prints are great, but I particularly like the person dancing? fencing? You're so good at conveying motion.

Thankee - it's a conductor.

My Urban Sketchers group has been running Zoom meetups for the last few weeks, while Auckland has continued in strict lockdown.  We take turns posing for one another in 5-minute poses.  Here are some of my more successful attempts.  I did discover that while 5 minutes is fine for a sketchy pen drawing, it's not really enough time to develop shading with soft pastels.
Spoiler: show
(It's made a little more challenging in that the one posing is expected to talk throughout their pose! That took me by surprise when my first pose was holding a mug up to my lips.  Kinda ruined by having to take the mug away so I could answer questions.  Never mind, I got them back the next week - I held up my baritone!)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2918 on: September 22, 2021, 06:18:54 PM »
Beautiful.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2919 on: September 22, 2021, 07:43:03 PM »
Thankee - it's a conductor.

Oh well then, I wasn't too far off with dancing/fencing!  ;D

I remember being taken to my first orchestral concert (aside from in utero, when I apparently did somersaults during Bartók) at the age of about 6. It must've been a matinee performance for little kids. Mum explained that a well-dressed man with slightly wild white hair would come out and wave a little white stick at the players to keep them in time. I was quite entranced by him, he was almost a caricature of The Conductor, and was great fun to watch. I recall being thrilled by the timpani, too, but never got the chance to try percussion.

I like the sketches! Such a great way to force yourself to focus on the essence of a person. I've tried it in the past, but never practiced enough to get any good. Some day, when I'm less busy...
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2920 on: September 22, 2021, 11:50:05 PM »
The whole thing with kids and music is interesting. All of my kids were exposed to music both in utero and as small children, because my family in general was very musical, and because from about the time that my youngest son was three months old we shared a house with several members of my cousin’s band. All five of my kids, and the two nieces who spent a lot of their childhoods in my household, grew up very musically inclined, though only two of them went on to make careers performing. Those were the two who used to kick in time with whatever music they could hear while in utero, which was quite uncomfortable for me at times.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2921 on: September 23, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »
Did a small format painting. Because it is my mom's birthday tomorrow and we ran out of greeting cards.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2922 on: September 23, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »
Oh moredhel that is beautiful! Better than any greeting card!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2923 on: September 23, 2021, 05:03:37 PM »
Totally agreed - so much better than a card, and a lovely image.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2924 on: September 23, 2021, 09:11:48 PM »
Seconding the others - it's beautiful. The roses look very delicate.

I generally myself prefer to make people cards than to buy them, because I enjoy making cards and people always seem to appreciate having, like, a little piece of art that somebody made all for themself. Also, I'm not very good at buying presents so I need to compensate somehow.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport