Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404733 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2760 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:33 PM »
Wow! Nice work, Keep! And that's not a painting-in-a-painting, is it? It's a reflection. That takes some serious concentration to get right!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2761 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
Keep, your painting is amazing! Well done, and the reflection that's not exactly a reflection is great, even if a little frightening! (what's on the other side of the mirror, one can ask...)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2762 on: May 06, 2021, 01:39:43 AM »
Painting, mirror, or painting done while looking in a mirror? Fascinating! One always wonders what is on the other side of mirrors.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2763 on: May 06, 2021, 05:36:58 AM »
Tried to add some heavier shading. And because my wife said none of the rose sorts she knows (and she knows a lot of them) looks like this some additional red. Unfortunatelly i spilled some water over it during the painting process. But it still looks rose like.

I tried to do the shadows in a different color (ultramarine).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:54:56 AM by moredhel »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2764 on: May 06, 2021, 05:46:56 AM »
Moredhel, I like the way you have done the edges of the petals - makes it look sort of more three dimensional! Very lovely.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2765 on: May 06, 2021, 04:06:37 PM »
Keep Looking you are very skilled. I really like how human the woman looks to me, as in: beautiful by simply being, and not looking all styled up. Looking slightly imperfect, making her more charming.

moredhel a pretty rose. With gentle shading & coloring. A thing I've never really figured out how to do. And I like the spots caused by the water, giving a kind of background.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

catbirds

« Reply #2766 on: May 06, 2021, 11:49:43 PM »
moredhel, the improvement on the rose is good!!! I'm glad you took your wife's feedback. You got the right idea with the watercolour shading.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #2767 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:23 AM »
Keep, your painting is amazing! Well done, and the reflection that's not exactly a reflection is great, even if a little frightening! (what's on the other side of the mirror, one can ask...)

Ahah! I argued with myself for quite some time about the reflection, and decided that I was imagining things, but I'm glad to see you think it isn't quite a reflection, too. The plants seem to be reflected, but the figure... not quite. And yes, the effect is slightly unsettling. So well done.

moredhel, I like both versions of the rose! My limited experience of watercolour is of endless frustration, so I'm really impressed.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2768 on: May 07, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »
I'm glad you took your wife's feedback.

As a completely self untaught painter, I am happy for every feedback. No learning without experimentation.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2769 on: May 07, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
Great work, moredhel! The 3D feeling is there now! What kind of brushes do you use for watercolor? I was thinking that you are missing a tiny bit of sharpness in your artwork... it definitely isn't a bad thing, it may just be your style, so I'm just wondering. Otherwise, I like the vibrance of color now. (Isn't it cool how watercolor allows you to make a ton of layers and it wouldn't fall of, like oil paints would?..)
Keep Looking, that is a beautiful painting! I didn't know you work in such style! And these things indeed take lots and lots of strength and time! But the outcome is worth it!
Here is my little something I drew today, an illustration to one of my stories... "A moment of pure happiness":
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_zG9BekNyzD4oCkXh
(still a OneDrive link...)  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:11:51 PM by Annuil »
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2770 on: May 07, 2021, 06:34:36 PM »
Great work, moredhel! The 3D feeling is there now! What kind of brushes do you use for watercolor? I was thinking that you are missing a tiny bit of sharpness in your artwork... it definitely isn't a bad thing, it may just be your style, so I'm just wondering. Otherwise, I like the vibrance of color now. (Isn't it cool how watercolor allows you to make a ton of layers and it wouldn't fall of, like oil paints would?..)

Layering watercolor is really great. I think it is because it is water pigment and only a little binder. Pastels or colored pencils are limited there, because they fall of the paper, or the pencils build up a lyer of binder (wax? oil? whatever it is) and it is not possible to draw on this layer.

It was lazy with this painting and used only a broad brush. I do have fine and very fine ones too, but for learning purposes with the broad one I can see better what I am doing wrong.

Here is my little something I drew today, an illustration to one of my stories... "A moment of pure happiness":
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_zG9BekNyzD4oCkXh
(still a OneDrive link...)  ;)

This is so beautiful.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2771 on: May 07, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »
Annuil, they are so beautiful! Is it their wedding?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #2772 on: May 08, 2021, 01:26:16 AM »
Annuil, your art style is absolutely lovely, this is such a pretty artwork! It definitely does capture a moment of happiness.

Moredhel, the blue tones you've used in the shading of the rose work really well in adding depth to the artwork!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #2773 on: May 08, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »
Annuil, that's lovely - you've definitely captured a moment of joy.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2774 on: May 08, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
Thank you, guys! :)) This is my favorite way of using watercolor (and ink) for illustrating. This one is going to be the ending illustration for the story I wrote ;D
Annuil, they are so beautiful! Is it their wedding?
Yep, it is.  ^-^ :sparkle:
It was lazy with this painting and used only a broad brush. I do have fine and very fine ones too, but for learning purposes with the broad one I can see better what I am doing wrong.
Oh, okay, yeah, that is a good way to find mistakes.  ;)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿