Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404784 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2670 on: April 03, 2021, 08:47:36 AM »
Molly, I have no advice because you are far better than I am! They're all good, and in the "gory" one, the body position is especially well done - it looks natural and dynamic.

Tarnagh, that is indeed a very cool sculpture!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2671 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »
there is an update to the fire snake. one of the kids saw me drawing and said he wants to do one too. I gave him a copy of the linework and he drew something completely different. He wanted me to post it here. So there is an example how two people ca see totally different things in the same pencil drawing.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:05:26 PM by moredhel »

catbirds

« Reply #2672 on: April 03, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
Awww, moredhel, your snakes are so cool! Ah, wait, the second one was a copy coloured by a kid! Good for him, I love seeing how children colour things. Also, your idea for the fire snake is interesting :)

Mollyvampiric, the expressions on these characters are so cute! I like these drawings :))

Beyond looking up tutorials, I think one of the best ways to improve would just be to do life studies, though. You can also look at how professional artists you like draw and then experiment with their colour use, line weight, sketch process, etc… Songbird wrote a great tutorial post a while back that shows some of the messier bits of learning how to draw, which I appreciated. A lot of online tutorials only show the nice parts (a great inconvenience to people learning how to draw from the Internet), so don't be afraid of making art that isn't spot-on from the start!

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2673 on: April 03, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
I love the kid's interpretation of the fire snake, moredhel! Let them know they do good work! :)

Adorable characters, Mollyvampiric! I love the last one best I think. "Woof!"  :))
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2674 on: April 03, 2021, 04:29:39 PM »
Moredhel, your fire snake is exactly the kind of thing I’m here for! Keep up the good work! And your son is clearly following in your footsteps, his is great too. But yours is something else!

Molly, as already mentioned the one with blood has very good posture. Also it’s unnerving. Why are they smiling like that? In such a situation?? Sadly, I can’t give any advice as I can’t art. Mirasol’s suggestion to try out different sources of art sound sensible!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #2675 on: April 03, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
moredhel, I love that you keep lineart copies of your drawings for your kids to mess with. He did an awesome job!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2676 on: April 03, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
Oh my, moredhel, that is the BEST that you and your child can bond over your drawings.  And I have to say, the tongue in your child's version really makes it for me, even though I like the extra (dripping!) fangs, too, the tongue makes it.  Out-standing.
I see figureheads for your fleet of longboats happening with these.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #2677 on: April 03, 2021, 11:03:25 PM »
Oh, that snake is so cool! You're kid did great work on those teeth.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:04:58 PM by Opaque »

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2678 on: April 04, 2021, 08:14:07 AM »
Aww, moredhel, it’s to fun to hear that you and your kids work together  :))
The snakes are really nice, both of them  ;) the second one looks more like a dragon to me.. and indeed he did a great job there! ;D

Also, MollyVampiric, I love your art dump (gore! yeah!)) your style is very interesting  ;)

Mirasol, that surrealistic painting is amazing! It almost glows!.. XoX Bigger formats are always nice, I like them  ;D I was trained to work with them when I was in an art-school and now it’s easier for me to have more space to draw something that to not have it and make myself squeeze a composition into a small format.

Keep Looking, I saw you had something there, but sadly my device doesn’t let me see it  :(

Songbird, all those tips and sketches look so professional! I was wondering, where you learned art (if you did study art)? Thanks for sharing them! And again, the are gorgeous!  ;D

I apologise for being inactive here, I have a ton of schoolwork and not enough time to keep track of things here. However, now I finished one of my courses and I should be a little more free to do my own art and to share it  ;)
I hope I mentioned everyone, if I did not, I am terribly sorry! All art here it amazingly great in any case!
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Songbird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • 10g of fluff and pointy edges
« Reply #2679 on: April 04, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
moredhel Those scales must have taken time! You handled the hue shifts neatly, it does read as vibrant flames. And the amethyst snake is lovely, the tiny story behind it makes me happy.

If my wife heard this. She is totally against throwing away anything. I used to recycle everything I made, but now we have sort of a growing archive.
Haha, so is my mother with art/old school or university works, but I have no use for all that stuff nor any attachment to these. Lugging all of it around when moving is a pain and hey, I did throw it in the recycle bin and repurposed some as sketching paper. It has to count for something.

MollyVampiric Adding to Mirasol's and catbird's great advice you can also do some staring exercises when you can't or doesn't want to draw. Look at art you love and ask yourself questions: What is it about it you like? Why do you think this detail works? What's the artist representing with that color/line/brushwork/parrot/whatever? Is it an interpretation of a natural phenomenon or what? This is a mental exercise to complement actual drawing; it works for some people because drawing and painting aren't purely motor skills, there's a lot of deconstruction and rebuilding it to your liking in the process—the thing we know as style.

Whatever you do it's important to balance taking risks and enjoyment so you don't get overwhelmed. Break subjects into bite sized bits and pick only a couple of risks at a time to really focus on, mixing them with things in your comfort zone. Everyone has their own tolerance to struggling with new things and I find it important to figure out how far you can push yourself before getting too frustrated to proceed. Eg if you're comfortable with flowers and want to do a values study it's better to do one using flowers than trying your hand at motorcycles.

Annuil *blushes* Thanks! I learned art on the Internet. ::)

I really really like to see people's sketchbooks, you can glimpse how they deal with their own hurdles, get ideas for new approaches and studies, etc. I used to lurk a lot in a place with may sketchbooks but I don't know where to find this kind of community now. I also like to take my time to ask questions about the art or photo I'm seeing, formulate theories then research to see if they check out. It's a fun type of challenge that helps in advancing your foundational knowledge, though not ideal if you don't balance this theoretical approach with developing your motor skills (which I don't tend to do ofc).

I had two brushes with formal art education in university, and to expand on them a bit: They were unfortunately mismatched to my skills at the time. One class went through the fundamentals like "this is a color wheel, mix these colors to create one; draw those dead plants, can you see that core shadow?" at a time I was daring stuff beyond this, the other was a gestures one in which the teacher took our names then left us alone with the model for the rest of the class. That was it for the entire semester. No guidance or basic anatomy or anything beforehand. I get the point of being looser with your sketches, but that felt terribly wasteful to have access to live models and lack the foundation and confidence to get them onto paper. Yeah to this day I still mourn getting so little out of this one.  :'D

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2680 on: April 04, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »
This isn't my own work, obviously, but this art installation has just gone up in a nearby town and I thought it fit nicely with all the bears and things people have been posting. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10157874568448038&set=a.395845588037

I'm sorry I don't have a site I can post images. :( And if there's a way to embed the image directly, I haven't figured that out yet. It's a pretty neat sculpture, I thought.

(Sorry that this isn't related to art, but I had to say, hello from one Mainer to another, Tarnagh!)
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2681 on: April 04, 2021, 03:08:32 PM »
(Sorry that this isn't related to art, but I had to say, hello from one Mainer to another, Tarnagh!)
Hello back, SkyWhalePod! One could argue that Maine lends itself nicely to art in general. So we're still technically on topic. ;)

One of the things that struck me when I went to "street view" on Google Maps for the place settings in Finland is how easily they could be from somewhere here in Maine.

https://www.groomanji.com/at-blog/100-mile-wilderness
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2682 on: April 04, 2021, 03:28:45 PM »
Tarnagh where there's natural beauty there's art to be made, and Maine certainly has natural beauty in spades! Have you ever played Geoguessr? You're plopped down in a random Google street view spot on the world map and have to poke around until you can guess where you've been placed. I've often been put down in Eastern Europe and thought I was cutting through some Maine farmer's field. I can easily see Finland fitting the bill as well. We have a bog walk up here that I've thought of more than once when Minna shares her own nature walks on YouTube. . . .
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2683 on: April 04, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
The image sharing site I use is Postimage. It’s free and you don’t even need to make an account if you don’t want to. And the “share” button is very easy to use, it gives you the direct link to the image you can just drop between the [ img ] tags. It also provides a thumbnail option.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #2684 on: April 04, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »
<snip> Have you ever played Geoguessr?

I know that was directed at Tarnagh, but I wanted to add another vote for Geoguessr - I love it! Finland looks a lot like my part of Newfoundland, too.