Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404759 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2550 on: February 02, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »
Thank you but also, sorry.  I wondered whether posting these was sort of ...rubbing it in.  Things are different around here, we are aware that a breakout can happen at any time, but by and large we've worked bl**dy hard to get here.  The Folk Festival had absolutely no international acts, for instance, as our borders have been shut for a year (fortunately there's plenty of NZ talent). 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2551 on: February 02, 2021, 07:46:51 PM »
Your sketches are awesome, Wave! I´m amazed how many details you got by just looking at people for a really short time!

pssst: I am lucky in that none of these people would likely recognise themselves, as genuinely capturing the actual details, such as contours of noses and faces, is beyond my capability in this instance.  The bald guy in black half-hidden in the back was the only one who actually saw what I was doing.  Scared the p**s out of me by coming up to me on my flank and talking to me - turns out he's a security guard at the venue.  Cheeky guy asked me where he was, and at least I could point at him, but he didn't seem too impressed by that placement.  Tough luck buddy!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2552 on: February 02, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »
Thank you but also, sorry.  I wondered whether posting these was sort of ...rubbing it in.  Things are different around here, we are aware that a breakout can happen at any time, but by and large we've worked bl**dy hard to get here.  The Folk Festival had absolutely no international acts, for instance, as our borders have been shut for a year (fortunately there's plenty of NZ talent).
No-no, Wave! It's a good sadness, remembering the good times, even with a teardrop sliding down the cheek6 it still feels good. At least for me. I looove to be sad. It brings me inspiration.  ;D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2553 on: February 03, 2021, 03:47:09 AM »
Wavewright, glad you managed a folk festival anyway! Who played?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #2554 on: February 03, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
I'm envious but that doesn't mean I would deny you the pleasure of normalcy.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2555 on: February 06, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »
Seconding Annuil and midwestmutt, there´s no need to be sorry, Wave! They reminded me of happy memories. And I´m happy for you that you get to experience this bit of normalcy again. :)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2556 on: February 06, 2021, 01:38:49 PM »
I agree with the others on both counts: wonderfully evocative sketches, and the vicarious pleasure of being around people. I have never had the knack for capturing people being themselves, even with a camera - I'm so self-conscious that I make the people I'm trying to photograph self-conscious, too, I think! As for drawing them... forget it.

I'm generally pretty happy keeping to myself, but I am finding this past year is getting a little much. The other day I met with a new graduate student in person, and it was very nice. It felt like we got to know one another better in the first five minutes than we had in a one-hour zoom meeting.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

MollyVampiric

• I'm always up too late, don't worry
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her, with love
« Reply #2557 on: February 07, 2021, 05:24:08 AM »
(*Teleports from last August to now* Huh? What happened? Where am I?)

Anyway, I've been working on my digital art in the meantime and I'd like to hear your thoughts and advice.

Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:36:27 AM by MollyVampiric »
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! <3

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2558 on: February 07, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »
Interesting use or not use of color and the contrast it creates.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2559 on: February 07, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Molly, I like it - I agree with moredhel on the limited palette, makes the eyes and pendant jump out. The heavy outlines (I'm not normally a fan) work with this very clean, simple (well, it appears simple - I know a lot of work went in!) style. The only thing that bothers me is the very flat background, and that it doesn't use one of the blue/violet shades from the figure.

Take all this with a large bucket of salt, I'm one of those "I don't know much about art but I know what I like" types! But you asked for thoughts, so here they are.  ;D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2560 on: February 07, 2021, 11:48:46 AM »
I agree with what the others said, I really like the color-palette. I also really enjoy how you used the gradients on the eyes and necklace, it makes them stand out more from the rest apart from just the different colors. I also like the way you did the shadows and highlights, though it´s not entirely clear where the light is coming from (which isn´t necessarily a bad thing!)

The simplicity of the background bothers me personally not much, but I do agree with Vulpes on the point that the color you used for it doesn´t show up anywhere else in the picture. Maybe you could use another light shade of grey or something purple-ish instead of something entirely new. (though wait, correct me if I´m wrong, but is it the same color as that of the highlights in the necklace?)

But overall you´ve improved a lot since the last picture you posted! Good job, and welcome back! :)
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2561 on: February 07, 2021, 01:36:47 PM »
I like it, Molly! The outlines are a tiny bit to heavy but that is your style and if you like it this way, that’s great ;)
The color palette, like other people said, is nice, though I agree with Mirasol’s description about the background. Beautiful neckless and the eyes, but I would have made the eyes a little bigger/more visible. The necklace takes too much attention on it, though it’s not that bad ;)
That’s my thoughts. Sorry for the critique, but I hope it helped you in a way. Really nice work! ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:47:41 PM by Annuil »

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2562 on: February 07, 2021, 01:58:04 PM »
Sorry for spamming, I also have something to share with you, guys!
Edit (with grey’s advice I was able to post the picture):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_wCOGoSzFaKwXwT1F
(Still don’t have any place to get a link to make a normal image to post here)
Neidol&Runa! These two are from my OC stories as well, if you remember my posts about Nicklis (the red-haired guy, I also drew him with horses), Neidol and Runa are his grandparents, however he never met them, they died long before he was born.
I also posted about my characters and the world they live in in the OC’s Showcase Thread on the Personal Board (https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=536.0
so if you’d like to read more about them, you can go there  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:39:18 PM by Annuil »

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #2563 on: February 07, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
Molly, really nice work! It is supposed to be a connection between those eyes and the necklace? I'd also choose slightly lighter lines because they draw too much attention from the rest. Well done! And this is a character from some story or just a random figure?

Wave, I wish I could draw people like you, capturing their expressions and movements. I must practice more...

Annuil
, really nice work! I love the colours! If you want to post directly I'd recommend using Postimage (https://postimages.org/). It's free (there's a premium version, but the free one works fine for me) and after uploading your image it's easy to get a link to post here, just clicking in share and choosing "hotlink for forums". Then it's just copy and paste. For the comments section you can use the "Direct link" option. I hope I helped!  :reynir:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:14:23 PM by thegreyarea »
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2564 on: February 07, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
Ooh, thanks, grey! That is very helpful, I’ll look into it  ;)
Edit: Yes! It worked! THANK YOU, grey again, it worked ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:37:05 PM by Annuil »