Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404847 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2520 on: January 21, 2021, 12:11:59 PM »
Nefnef what a world! Very intriguing! And the art is really beautiful.

In the Finnish mythology, the Swan isn’t really the keeper of souls, in the Kalevala it just swims in the river of Tuonela (the underworld of the dead) and is untouchable, one of the “impossible heroics” in the story is shooting it.

Our “ferryman” is actually a girl, Tuonen tytti (daughter of Tuoni) who rows the dead across the River of Tuonela. Her job is to make sure that only the dead get to go across, and Väinämöinen argues with her on his way to Tuonela after some words of wisdom (getting out was another story). So, she’s a very suitable character to play this part! Did you know, or is it a coincidence?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2521 on: January 21, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »
Thanks again everyone!! Youre all so sweet <3

Nefnef what a world! Very intriguing! And the art is really beautiful.

In the Finnish mythology, the Swan isn’t really the keeper of souls, in the Kalevala it just swims in the river of Tuonela (the underworld of the dead) and is untouchable, one of the “impossible heroics” in the story is shooting it.

Our “ferryman” is actually a girl, Tuonen tytti (daughter of Tuoni) who rows the dead across the River of Tuonela. Her job is to make sure that only the dead get to go across, and Väinämöinen argues with her on his way to Tuonela after some words of wisdom (getting out was another story). So, she’s a very suitable character to play this part! Did you know, or is it a coincidence?

No way! I had no idea. I only know the swan from SSSS and assumed she was the keeper :O It's so hard to find good documentary about the Finnish mythology on the internet :( Are these all in Kalevala? I have to read it now! In the story Tulya really is just trying to make sure the poor souls don't come back and end up as creepy ghosts, but this still is an awesome coincidence :D
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #2522 on: January 21, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »
Me and many others know most about the mythology as it is depicted in the Kalevala. However it’s worth bearing in mind that Kalevala is a fictional book written by Elias Lönnrot, based on the oral tradition he collected. He has linked a more or less chaotic bunch of tales, poems and songs into a more or less coherent story. For example he has combined several characters from the legends into some of his characters.

Furthermore the oral tradition he and others collected was at the time from people who had lived with Christianity and as Christians for generations. So, a lot of what we have now is pretty close to being made up. In addition to the oral collectors’ archives, there are some descriptions from an earlier time where priests describe the horrible pagan beliefs and wrong gods the Finns respected at the time. Those are obviously very biased :) but they describe the situation from a closer moment in time.

There is a religious community of the ancient Finnish faith, the Karhun Kansa, and they consider Kalevala to be interesting fiction. I have tried to find out about their actual beliefs and it seems they are more or less neopagan, they don’t have strict rules, texts or rituals but rather have the view that each person will find the connection to the spirits/gods/powers in a way that suits that person. Alternatively, they just say this in interviews and actually do have elaborate rituals! But their celebrations are open to others too, so I find it unlikely that they would keep secret bear mass in hiding :) I may be wrong, I don’t personally know any of them (and they are very few, only a couple dozen actual members).
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #2523 on: January 21, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »
Nefnef your picture is great. What you are doing with the light ist just great.

Mirasol I know there is something wrong with the legs. But I can't say what exactly.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2524 on: January 21, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »
nefnef, that is absolutely beautiful! XoX
I love the colors! And the whole atmosphere of your drawing!

Mirasol , thank you! You all inspired me, so I'll try to do the translation as good as possible. My problem is that I feel so much more confident when I write in Russian that it feels really bad once I try to do it in English, especially when the lack of words in my English vocabulary shows up.  :-\
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2525 on: January 22, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »
Mirasol I know there is something wrong with the legs. But I can't say what exactly.

I really didn´t mean to be rude or anything, I hope you aren´t mad at me for pointing it out! I tried to give somewhat constructive critizism, but I realize now upon rereading my comment that it probably wasn´t all that helpful... ^^"
Again, your drawing is adorable, and practice makes perfect. You´re very good with colored pencils!
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2526 on: January 22, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »
I really didn´t mean to be rude or anything, I hope you aren´t mad at me for pointing it out! I tried to give somewhat constructive critizism, but I realize now upon rereading my comment that it probably wasn´t all that helpful... ^^"
Again, your drawing is adorable, and practice makes perfect. You´re very good with colored pencils!

Your comment was helpful. It assured me my impression of the legs was right.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #2527 on: January 22, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »
Thank you Vulpes ! Those are all correct, I see you're a bird lover as well :D

Yes, I like watching birds and knowing what I'm looking at (sort of... I get annoyed with all the little warblers that look the same) but I'm not a "twitcher" who will jump in the car and drive 200 km to see a small drab bird in a bush. I enjoy seeing relative rarities, like the beautiful northern shrike that's been terrorizing the juncos, chickadees and nuthatches that hang out in the yard, or the huge Caspian tern that flew down the lake one day.

Your comment was helpful. It assured me my impression of the legs was right.

Just say it's a kitten - that's what I assumed you were drawing!  :))

To me the head looks relatively large, the legs and tail short, and the belly plump, all of which say "kitten!" to me. That said, the proportions are still a little off... perhaps the relative size of eyes and ears to head isn't quite right for a kitten. Also, you did a great job of conveying soft fur - another reason I figured you were drawing a kitten.  :)
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2528 on: January 23, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »
Alright, I have committed something worth sharing again!  :'D
This time a non-digital thing, watercolour on paper and a little bit of winter spirit:
“Red Fox in a Fur Hat”:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_v3rvVxRcryg6HrZL
It’s also Nicklis from my own stories... I know, my elves wear Russian fur hats, but at least it’s easier to hide their long ears from the low temperatures of their lands and survive through the winter without the frostbites once you have such a hat!  :'D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:55:29 AM by Annuil »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2529 on: January 24, 2021, 06:19:26 AM »
I know, my elves wear Russian fur hats, but at least it’s easier to hide their long ears from the low temperatures of their lands and survive through the winter without the frostbites once you have such a hat!  :'D
[starts pondering how one would make fur hats that do that and still permit the wearer to notice someone sneaking up]
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2530 on: January 24, 2021, 07:03:30 AM »
Annuil as always your watercolours are really great. And in my opinion frostbytes are a real danger for long ears without a hat.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2531 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:49 AM »
[starts pondering how one would make fur hats that do that and still permit the wearer to notice someone sneaking up]
Phahahah! JoB, that’s awesome, I need one of those hearing devices  :'D
I have a fur hat and I would not say that it’s that hard to hear when you wear it. Once you put the “ears” of the hat to the back, like on my drawing, you can hear pretty well, still not as clear as without a hat obviously. But it depends on the hat also :'D
Annuil as always your watercolours are really great. And in my opinion frostbytes are a real danger for long ears without a hat.
Thanks! True-true, however some elves are too proud to wear hats, so frostbite is the only thing that making them to do it  :'D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:57:13 AM by Annuil »

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2532 on: January 24, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
I´m in awe at the thin lines you manage to get with watercolors! XoX Truly a great piece, Annuil!

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #2533 on: January 25, 2021, 07:56:41 AM »
Thanks, Mirasol! My secret with the thin lines is in a number of tiny brushes in my arsenal :'D
People kept asking me why in the world do I keep a three-hair-brushes, like, who even uses them?
Well, that how you can apply them. I just looove little brushes and the effect they can give, even thought it takes a little linger to accomplish  :)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_v3smUdP5i02Sd3ZK
Here is what they look like.
And watercolor is actually the best paint to make thing lines I think  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:00:24 AM by Annuil »

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #2534 on: January 26, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »
Woah yeah, these are thinner than almost all of the brushes I posess. I have maybe one that gets close.

I agree with you with Watercolors being the best for thin lines, I´m just very untalented with any sort of paint, so I can try to do that as long as I want to... ^^"