Author Topic: The Forum's Art Museum  (Read 404721 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Forum's Art Museum
« Reply #2205 on: November 01, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
Must go check out your Flickr, Wyrm, if these are any indication, they're hilarious!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2206 on: November 01, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
Windy, that is sweet. Obviously all cats are tigers at heart.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2207 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
AO3 is having difficulties doing author reveals for the Trick or Treat exchange, but here I am anyway. 

My assignment matched only on the fandom 'Namesake', so here I've drawn four of those characters dressed up as the band KISS.
Read blurb here: True Loves' KISS
Spoiler: image kept large so you can squee over the details • show

I also had fun with bestowing treats. 
Here's one from Girl Genius that I made for Unlos:
Spoiler: this is not a coffee shop au • show

Uncredited mappearance by Emil in the zumil outfit.

Two Tolkien treats for Elleth & StarSpray:
Spoiler: lobelia sackville-baggins • show

Spoiler: goldberry singing an autumn prayer • show

Anybody wanting to have a go at writing this prayer is welcome to do so!

My ARtD & SSSS treats are posted in the appropriate art museum threads.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:09:26 PM by wavewright62 »

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #2208 on: November 07, 2018, 08:27:53 PM »
I'll have a go at the prayer and PM you the result, if any, to use as you will. These are good, especially the Girl Genius one.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #2209 on: December 13, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
Thought I'd drop in this warmup sigrun portrait I did! I've been trying to learn how to paint digitally lol

Spoiler: show

Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2210 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
Thought I'd drop in this warmup sigrun portrait I did! I've been trying to learn how to paint digitally lol

Spoiler: show

Cool, and a very good Sgru!! Digital painting can be so much fun, in some ways very much like traditional and in other ways just so very different. And then there's  an ocean of tutorials that sometimes help, and sometimes overwhelm (at least that's how it works for me). Some of the tips and tricks are so super helpful though! Feel free to completely overlook this if it's unwanted advice, but the points below were revelations for me.
1. You can work at low opacities! Yay!
2. Multiple layers - they may be a curse but also so super good when you want to experiment.
3. Locking a layer - if you have finely traced and filled in the basic colors of, e.gyour characters hair, you can lock the layer when you add shades, highlights and all the fun stuff, without being the least afraid of messing up adjacent things like the face.
4. Layer masks -can be used for the same functions as locking a layer.
5. Customized brushes! Some of the basic brushes are plain round things, and although I know It's possible to get the effect you want with them, they can make drawing so much more fun!

And more, so if you need someone to yell at re digital painting, feel free to PM me as I'm not the best at keeping on top of the forum threads anymore :-)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:03:20 AM by Unlos »

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #2211 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
Cool, and a very good Sgru!! Digital painting can be so much fun, in some ways very much like traditional and in other ways just so very different. And then there's  an ocean of tutorials that sometimes help, and sometimes overwhelm (at least that's how it works for me). Some of the tips and tricks are so super helpful though! Feel free to completely overlook this if it's unwanted advice, but the points below were revelations for me.
1. You can work at low opacities! Yay!
2. Multiple layers - they may be a curse but also so super good when you want to experiment.
3. Locking a layer - if you have finely traced and filled in the basic colors of, e.gyour characters hair, you can lock the layer when you add shades, highlights and all the fun stuff, without being the least afraid of messing up adjacent things like the face.
4. Layer masks -can be used for the same functions as locking a layer.
5. Customized brushes! Some of the basic brushes are plain round things, and although I know It's possible to get the effect you want with them, they can make drawing so much more fun!

And more, so if you need someone to yell at re digital painting, feel free to PM me as I'm not the best at keeping on top of the forum threads anymore :-)

Ohoho! Some good tips in there! As I’m a newbie I’ve been making myself stay on one layer, but perhaps when I’m better at it... *wiggles fingers menacingly*

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2212 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
Even better advice for someone who is less than a newbie - I haven't even tried yet, although I want to!  The nice thing is getting a teaser of the advantages of going digital.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
« Reply #2213 on: December 14, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Even better advice for someone who is less than a newbie - I haven't even tried yet, although I want to!  The nice thing is getting a teaser of the advantages of going digital.

Best thing about going digital is ctrl-z, at least for me :P I make so many mistakes...

My style tends to be quite comic-y so painting is a revelation, it's almost like trying to make my drawings more organic and kinda heading back towards *looking* traditional.

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2214 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:07 AM »

I got to see "Never Ending Man", a short documentary about Hayao Miyazaki. He had retired and closed down Studio Ghibli but he couldn't stop drawing. So he wound up trying to do something digitally - CGI. Some digital artists were hired and he gave them some sketches he'd been working on. It was very interesting. At one point he tried doing some digital drawing himself. But I think it was a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. He was getting the hang of the basics but he couldn't learn fast enough to suit himself. He went back to his traditional sketches and giving them to the digital artists. There may be a feature film in the offing.
I will say after watching him interact with the staff I can say he is a stern taskmaster. Benevolent but definitely a taskmaster along the lines of "I can draw this now you do it". I don't think I'd care to work for him. :D
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2215 on: December 30, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »
It sounds like the title "Never Ending Man" is very fitting then, both in his own history with art and with his style as a boss ;D
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #2216 on: December 30, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
Iceea, thatsounds fascinating.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2217 on: January 03, 2019, 06:51:01 PM »
Had some fun playing with watercolours and ended up with two messy drawings:

Spoiler: Hiding them under a spoiler to protect your eyes • show
Sadness on a hill at dawn:

Happiness in space at noon:
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2218 on: January 03, 2019, 10:53:47 PM »
Had some fun playing with watercolours and ended up with two messy drawings:

Spoiler: Hiding them under a spoiler to protect your eyes • show
Sadness on a hill at dawn:

Happiness in space at noon:

Nice! I like the shapes and colors! Very abstract :D
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

peeweevireo

« Reply #2219 on: January 04, 2019, 12:57:58 AM »
:o Windy, those are so pretty! Also expressive!

By the way, that 4-panel comic about your cat seems like a good way to help with learning language.