Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136927 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Improvements
« Reply #360 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
First off, if you can introduce some sort of colourscheme  of some sort for nicknames so we can easier see which usergroup a user belongs to (like members, moderators, admins, that sort of stuff) that'd be nice.
Isn't that what the row of squares two lines below the username already does? Red for the admins, green for our forum skald / moderator, and yellow for everyone else?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #361 on: May 17, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
Isn't that what the row of squares two lines below the username already does? Red for the admins, green for our forum skald / moderator, and yellow for everyone else?
Yup. The names in the list of online users (at the bottom of the home page) also displays names in different colors, though I think I need to add green for Sunny.  So if an edit needs to be made, it's just that
Feel free to PM.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Ohhhhhh, so that's why my name shows up in red at the bottom! *slaps forehead* I'm such an intelligent person sometimes, srs.

Also, note to self so this is in the right thread: We discovered a while back that because of the way the website handles HTTPS, if you embed a youtube video using normal HTTP, the video will show up blank in some browsers--notably chrome. I'm considering what's the best way to handle this, such as a selective htaccess rewrite (which is relatively easy but adds to page load time), but the best way (and hardest to implement) would be to put some php hoozits in to the post submission process to find youtube links and change the http to https before saving in the database. *makes weighing motion*

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2015, 04:35:08 AM »
Is it possible to create folders and sub-folders for our PM Inboxes, like for regular e-mail?  I have accumulated quite a lot, and I'd like to have folders for, e.g. content requests and Promotion Ceremony invites. 

(I realize I may be the only Forumite with a PM hoarding problem of this scale...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »
General question: Does BBcode get anywhere near tables (as in, force some proper alignment of the flags of our fathers signatures)?
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »
Is it possible to create folders and sub-folders for our PM Inboxes, like for regular e-mail?  I have accumulated quite a lot, and I'd like to have folders for, e.g. content requests and Promotion Ceremony invites. 

(I realize I may be the only Forumite with a PM hoarding problem of this scale...)
Check under actions and preferences.  You can create rules to change how your inbox works, and, while I'm not certain, I'd assume there's a way to do something similar to folders.

General question: Does BBcode get anywhere near tables (as in, force some proper alignment of the flags of our fathers signatures)?
Yeah, I was going to use a table in the helpful info thread, for the flags, but it kept messing up the spacing on the left-most column, placing it farther away from the others.  I can't any of the details, but I know there's a tutorial I found out there with a google search or two. 
Feel free to PM.

JoB

« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
Yeah, I was going to use a table in the helpful info thread, for the flags, but it kept messing up the spacing on the left-most column, placing it farther away from the others.  I can't any of the details, but I know there's a tutorial I found out there with a google search or two.
Turns out it's pretty much an analogon to HTML, except that [th] does not work.
(And it's manhandling the vertical positioning for me. ::) )

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »

Check under actions and preferences.  You can create rules to change how your inbox works, and, while I'm not certain, I'd assume there's a way to do something similar to folders.
Thanks for the tip!

The "Labels" function works great.  It's not folders per se, but it does tag designated messages into their own stack. 
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Personal_messages#Label_System

The one drawback:  You can't Label messages in your Sent folder, because the system will only apply labels to messages that were in the Inbox to start with. 

BTW, I guess I'm not endangering the Forum's PM upper limit just yet:

By default, 4,294,967,296 personal messages may be sent on a forum.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:39:57 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #368 on: May 20, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
Most forums tend to limit you to something like 50, 100 or 500 per user.  May seem like a lot, but you would be surprised how quickly they fill up.  Numbers tend to depend on whether the forum counts each message as 1 or each conversation as 1.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:26 PM »
Most forums tend to limit you to something like 50, 100 or 500 per user.  May seem like a lot, but you would be surprised how quickly they fill up.  Numbers tend to depend on whether the forum counts each message as 1 or each conversation as 1.

AH HA HA!  (Embarrassed Torbjorn face.)

I actually have over 500 PMs, if you count "Sent" as well as "Inbox."  Is that too many?  Do I have to join a 12-step program for Excessive PM'ing?   :-[

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
AH HA HA!  (Embarrassed Torbjorn face.)

I actually have over 500 PMs, if you count "Sent" as well as "Inbox."  Is that too many?  Do I have to join a 12-step program for Excessive PM'ing?   :-[

Wow, I have bumped up against the PM limit a couple of times in the past, but never when the limit was set that high :D

JoB

« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
By default, 4,294,967,296 personal messages may be sent on a forum.
Ah, unsigned 32 bit integer as an ID, apparently. Guess that means that you can only reduce the limit.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
Is there a way to have messages to be shown "in a conversation" but have the conversation over several pages instead of aaaalll at once?

Because um I have some very long conversations that are getting very slow to load.... i should probably choose some of the other options but I'm not sure which of them I'm after

No, I don't think so -- I've tried. 
The only workaround I can think of at the moment is periodically not "Reply" to someone but create a new message (even if you have to copy-and-paste in what you're replying to).  I know that's not ideal.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
No, I don't think so -- I've tried. 
The only workaround I can think of at the moment is periodically not "Reply" to someone but create a new message (even if you have to copy-and-paste in what you're replying to).  I know that's not ideal.
yeahhh it struck me right after posting that that that's what I had to do, and I did.

(also thank you english language for making me write "that" three times in a row)
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
Two times in a row would have been enough, reading that sentence hurts my head.