Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136936 times)

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: Improvements
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
I love it!  :'D  Also, I'm in love with the button to the comics. 
I only wish I knew how to help with this kind of thing so I could work on it.
Either way, I agree, I think it's good enough to start using now, and we can make adjustments when problems or complaints arise.

Thor has spoken! After making some small tweaks to it (for forward compatibility), the theme is now installed and set as default for the forum.

For those who don't like change, find the new theme too distracting, or otherwise want the old theme back: First off, do let us know! The theme can be tweaked, and we'll take any suggestions or requests under advisement. Second, you can change what theme you are personally using on the forum under Profile > Account Settings > Look and Layout > Current Theme > (change). You're totally free to switch back to the other theme if you feel the need.

It looks nice, but I am perversely bugged that I can't shift the overlying features to expose different parts of the background [WAS: water trolls (like Moomi-Pirhana)].  Would that be possible? 

Will it be the same theme all the time, or periodically changed? 

Would a translucency slider / preference be practical for individual users? 

Is Disqus-like comment organization possible with the Simple Machines engine? 

Just throwing out ignorant or curious questions, not *trying* to make life overly "interesting." 

To answer these one at a time:

• This might be possible but doesn't sound easy to implement. Eriaror might have some thoughts on the subject.
  • We probably won't change it all that much on a forum-wide level due to simply not having a lot of themes to switch to, but you can change the theme for your own viewing pleasure as described above and I wouldn't mind switching out occasionally if others want to create themes as well.
  • I'm already looking into the possibility of a translucency slider for users, since the topic has come up. I'm not sure how hard or easy it will be to get that working though.
  • Disqus comment organization is probably not gonna be possible without a really big mod; we'll probably just leave that one as it is.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
Can the mobile version maybe be tweaked a little? Specifically the top right corner, which looks like this:

(I'll probably change back to the other theme, but still)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
Can the mobile version maybe be tweaked a little? Specifically the top right corner, which looks like this:

(I'll probably change back to the other theme, but still)

It's actually more than just mobile doing that--it shows up jumbled on desktops too. We're looking at fixing that bug now!

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
The top right corner looks a little messy in the pc version as well...

It's actually more than just mobile doing that--it shows up jumbled on desktops too. We're looking at fixing that bug now!

Ok, it has already been said. Sorry. :P
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »

For those who don't like change, find the new theme too distracting, or otherwise want the old theme back: First off, do let us know! The theme can be tweaked, and we'll take any suggestions or requests under advisement. Second, you can change what theme you are personally using on the forum under Profile > Account Settings > Look and Layout > Current Theme > (change). You're totally free to switch back to the other theme if you feel the need.

The top right isn't looking all that good on my laptop.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #320 on: May 08, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
Could I ask for a few pixels more space between replies to make the thread less a complete wall of white so it'd be easier to tell posts apart? The way those spaces look now that I'm writing a reply is quite nice.

^like on right

ETA: Also, personally I don't have a problem with it but the text in the dropdown menus is quite tiny, some members might appreciate a larger font especially since it's a serif :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:58:06 PM by Rabbit »
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

BreezeLouise

« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
I feel like the background for quotes doesn't stand out quite as much as it should. That might just be a personal taste thing, though.
Life is a state of mind.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
The top right isn't looking all that good on my laptop.

I've got the same thing going on--sorry I haven't taken my own screenshot of it, still trying to figure out how to work a Mac xP

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
I feel like the background for quotes doesn't stand out quite as much as it should. That might just be a personal taste thing, though.

I had a similar reaction.  Otherwise, a lovely theme!  I normally dislike *any* changes (just 'cuz I'm fussy), but I'm warming up to this one quite fast.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »

I felt the same, although I changed back to the old theme so I've no place to complain.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »
It seems like I did not consider avatar images, when I made that upper section... *facepalm*
However, I have now replicated the problem on my machine (wasn't that hard, a bug cannot really get more obvious...) and currently working on fixing it. Making that box behave like it should was pretty fun last time, so here we go again... :D

Other smaller improvements so far:
  • Make the space between posts a bit larger ✔
  • Increase the color saturation of the new-posts star, so it stands out more  ✔
  • Make post images' max width the width of the post every time, so they do not stick out and spawn horizontal scrollbars ✔
  • Make quote blocks stand out more ✔ (swapped the colors, now the standard one is light blue and the alternate is white)
  • Fix submit buttons turning plain white when they are (for some reason) focused ✔
Note that I'm editing my local file, so these fixes won't appear here immediately, but sooner or later they will get here...
Please continue to report any odd things and keep making suggestions, let's make this theme as nice as we can!

Also, it might be a good idea to move the theme discussion to this thread if it gets too long, just to keep things organized.
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #326 on: May 08, 2015, 05:06:44 PM »
I like the new forum theme, but it doesn't seem to work for me while I'm logged in. Like, I can only see the new theme when I'm browsing as a guest for some reason.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »
Also, it might be a good idea to move the theme discussion to this thread if it gets too long, just to keep things organized.

Thanks for all your hard work, Eriaror!  Despite my nit-picking, I'm very pleased with this Forum option.

Would you like me to move the posts relating to your new theme into the thread you suggested?  I can do that as a Skald.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
ETA: Also, personally I don't have a problem with it but the text in the dropdown menus is quite tiny, some members might appreciate a larger font especially since it's a serif :)

This member would certainly appreciate slightly larger text in the dropdowns!  (Adjusts glasses.)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
I like the new forum theme, but it doesn't seem to work for me while I'm logged in. Like, I can only see the new theme when I'm browsing as a guest for some reason.
Do you instead see the same theme you've had before the change? If so, my guess'ld be that you expressedly selected that theme in your preferences, and need to switch back to "Forum or Board Default" to have such changes apply to you automagically.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15