Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136834 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Improvements
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »

We had our first spambot today.  His topic has been deleted, and every relevant facet of his account has been banned.  I'm not deleting his account quite yet, because he was using one of those rerouting hostnames/IPs, and I want to find a way to block out his hostname altogether, so every bot that might come from there will be blocked.  Thanks everyone for reporting it, I'm really happy that so many people knew exactly what to do.  You've made this a relatively swift swing of the banhammer and I really appreciate it.

We did? And I missed it? Aww  :(

:P Thanks for protecting us against the spambot Giants, Eich!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »
*Sigh*  I don't want to have a new thread on this board at the moment, so I'm just posting this here, because this is going to be something I'll be looking into improving for quite a while, I think.

We had our first spambot today.  His topic has been deleted, and every relevant facet of his account has been banned.  I'm not deleting his account quite yet, because he was using one of those rerouting hostnames/IPs, and I want to find a way to block out his hostname altogether, so every bot that might come from there will be blocked.  Thanks everyone for reporting it, I'm really happy that so many people knew exactly what to do.  You've made this a relatively swift swing of the banhammer and I really appreciate it.

Oh, I guess it's back here again. I'll keep the topic locked in case you need it for anything.

Edit: I think we might need some kind of filter for these spambots. I removed another thread. They are multiplying....... oh, the horror, the horror..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:15:27 PM by noako »

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »

Oh, I guess it's back here again. I'll keep the topic locked in case you need it for anything.

Edit: I think we might need some kind of filter for these spambots. I removed another thread. They are multiplying....... oh, the horror, the horror..

It's like a .... disease.

If the problem persists though it might be an idea to consider that second mod thing, we probably want the threads closed down ASAP in case they link to bad sites.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
Yeah, setting up a capcha and email-confirmation is kind of becoming urgent; the frequency of the spam bots seems to be increasing.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:27 PM »
Somehow I've missed all the spam bots?... Is there something I should be looking out for just in case?
But if it is such an - apparently invisible - issue, some sort of security would be a great idea.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the problem now. My goodness.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:48:06 PM by StellersJayC »

greger

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »
This being a forum about a multi-lingual comic (btw, I hate the word 'comic' for strips like SSSS), I think it would be useful if forum members could declare which languages they understand or speak/read. Maybe using flags?
Swedish by birth!

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
This being a forum about a multi-lingual comic (btw, I hate the word 'comic' for strips like SSSS), I think it would be useful if forum members could declare which languages they understand or speak/read. Maybe using flags?
I really like that idea. Would there be a way to declare languages that people are currently learning/semi-fluent in? A lot of people on this forum are trying to learn new languages from what I've seen. (Including me.)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
That's not particularly hard, I just tested out a solution using icons in the signature. Hopefully you're able to see it. I suppose it would be for the best though if Eich could let us know if the forum can handle image files in signatures.

I'm not sure stealing icons from Humon's site is the right way to do it, but well ...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:56:39 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
I really like that idea. Would there be a way to declare languages that people are currently learning/semi-fluent in? A lot of people on this forum are trying to learn new languages from what I've seen. (Including me.)

Pretty good idea. I only speak three languages fluently, but if we were counting languages I'm trying to learn/semi-fluent in that becomes seven or something like that.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
That's not particularly hard, I just tested out a solution using icons in the signature. Hopefully you're able to see it. I suppose it would be for the best though if Eich could let us know if the forum can handle image files in signatures.

Also I'm not sure stealing icons from Humon's site is the right way to do it, but well ...
Image files and gifs are fine in sigs.  Just... don't make them too big or, if they are big, scale them down a bit using a little BBCode, because it's not fun having entire pages taken up by oversized signatures.  Good solution, by the way.  I'm not sure if there's a way to add another slot of info in the avatar area but, for now at least, this is a pretty elegant solution.

I like the idea Greger.  Even if we don't use flags, we can just write what languages we know in the sigs or something.  The only real use I can think of would be for the language learning thread, though.  That said, I'm monolingual, so I don't really know what uses there might be.  Maybe a quick way to know what potential areas of the world people live in?
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »

I'm not sure stealing icons from Humon's site is the right way to do it, but well ...

Okay, I give up. How did you do that? I can't get it to work.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
Okay, I give up. How did you do that? I can't get it to work.

Seeing as how you already have a signature I assume you know how to access the Signature option (it's in the Modify Profile menu).

In your signature field you need to insert image brackets. They should look like (img)(/img), but with square brackets.

You can now insert the url of any image file you want to add to your signature inside the brackets. I have two brackets, one for the Norwegian flag (http://satwcomic.com/flags/no.gif) and one for the British flag (http://satwcomic.com/flags/gb.gif) separated by a space.

You can find convenient flag icons on Satwcomic.com or on  wikipedia.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
You can now insert the url of any image file you want to add to your signature inside the brackets.
Unless the targeted site has taken measures to prevent bandwidth theft, of course ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
Unless the targeted site has taken measures to prevent bandwidth theft, of course ...

Sure. Saving the image and uploading it to a photobucket account or similar is probably the more polite option.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »
Seeing as how you already have a signature I assume you know how to access the Signature option (it's in the Modify Profile menu).

In your signature field you need to insert image brackets. They should look like (img)(/img), but with square brackets.

You can now insert the url of any image file you want to add to your signature inside the brackets. I have two brackets, one for the Norwegian flag (http://satwcomic.com/flags/no.gif) and one for the British flag (http://satwcomic.com/flags/gb.gif) separated by a space.

You can find convenient flag icons on Satwcomic.com or on  wikipedia.

Thank you!  :)

I am so bad at these kinds of things.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk: