Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 581193 times)

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
Soooo...
"Erudite and charming" (Sunflower's words ! I would never have dared write that myself ! *blush*) Frenchman here.
Living somewhere in the region of Lyons after many years spent in Paris, age...er... halfway between Taru and Trond.
Graduated as an engineer, with a crush on math, worked in IT, currently unemployed.
Speaks French, English, German. Deeply regrets having left Latin, fancies learning Italian and ancient Greek (will perhaps do), Arabic and Japanese (will most probably never do)...Life is always too short.
Found SSSS thanks to an ad on Girl Genius, got intrigued by the prologue (this is a slow and rather boring story but it goes somewhere, and how beautiful are the landscapes and the art ! Ah, those maps !) and more than rewarded by the following chapters. And what is this bunch of nice and crazy comment writers ?
That's the story.
tl;dr : average SSSS addict.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:01:21 PM by FrogEater »
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Raya

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
I prefer heavy metal (heavy, nwbhm, thrash, folk...)

Good man, thumbs up for you.

Hi, I'm Richard, I'm in my early 50s and live in the UK.

Another Brit ;D Which part of the UK are you in?

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
I had to google Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - it sounds like a really interesting and multifaceted martial art. I hope I'll get the chance someday to learn another eastern martial art besides karate, preferably one with weapons.

I miss my karate class so much... I was only a "yellow" belt and wasn't even that good at karate but I've never felt better than after a session. Unfortunately a few months ago our karate teacher had to stop and we've been unable to find a replacement class. (All the martial arts around here are either tae kwon doe - I'm so sorry if I misspelled that - or the wrong style of karate. I hope we can find somewhere to do it soon.

...I just realized that while technically a yellow belt, I never actually received it. Is it strange that I'm amused?

Also, I can't believe how many people came here from Girl Genius.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 04:17:26 AM »
As of writing this, I'm still a couple of years younger than Siv. I'm from Oslo, Norway and speak norwegian and english fluently. I took spanish classes quite a while ago at Uni, and if given a spanish newspaper I would probably get the gist of most of the articles.  When I try to carry a conversation though, I usually end up stuttering and searching desperately for words. I'm a radiologist, but having a break these days being at home with experiment number two (Phil Foglios perfect description) who arrived in may.

I entered the world of aRTD from a link in topwebcomics at the end of chapter 4, and have followed the comic and the comments since, first as a lurker only, nowadays chipping in to join the conversations. I love computer games as a pastime, and also used to sing in a choir - I enjoyed that a lot but it took just a bit too much time and energy.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
I am posting this on behalf of Michael, who is relatively new on both the Disqus thread and this forum.  He first posted this introduction/tribute to SSSS on p. 192
It impressed me and so many others that I asked his permission to share it here. (With any luck, he'll take to posting on his own behalf...)

Michael
The journey started when I came across a comment somewhere on the internet. Where exactly? I can't quite remember but it mentioned a web-comic titled, 'A Red Tail's Dream.'

"Huh," I said to myself, "I like dreams! And a dream that involves a fox? Well, good-golly-gosh, I like foxes too."

And so, I clicked the link. Next thing I knew, I was busting through the amazing and beautiful mountain of archives of, what I learned to call it, 'aRTD.' I read every word on every page, even the note made below each post, written by a mysterious lady born in Sweden, the very same lady who had brought so many strangers this fascinating and amazing creation.

I have to admit, these notes - these small windows into the life of the author - were just as inspirational as the comic itself. For, being a college student myself, I realized something.

Despite the mounds of assignments that pile up, despite the stress, and despite the staying up until four o'clock, it is also possible to do amazing things on top of it all. One needs to work diligently and budget their time. Which, as the cliché goes, is far more easier said than done.

However, seeing Minna accomplish such a feat during her last two years of college - a time when that dreaded thesis is due - has given some random person, all the way across that little lake called the Atlantic Ocean, here in the United States, some hope and inspiration for upcoming college days that are sure to be difficult.

Now, here I am, after I busted through the archives of 'Stand Still. Stay Silent,' attempting to see just how much Disqus can handle, loving every word and every color. And, as final note, I give a big ol' thanks to Minna!

P.S. Well, I'm sure everyone got their daily dose of romanticism for the day! :D. Oh, and as a final final note, I've never made a comment before on a web-comic page.

P.S.S. One final final final note, my favorite character is Lalli... and... a close-second-possible-tie is Mikkel!

OrigamiOwl --> Michael
Hello fellow college-goer! I too see Minna and her work as a shining example of defeating the gloomy and stressful college mindset~! There is indeed a light at the end of that long, long, essay-filled tunnel ÚuÙ and it's very refreshing and inspiring to be reminded of that.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

victrixia

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Weep! An almost 30-year-old Finnish person here. Been following Minna on deviantArt for quite a while, but since some intensive real life happened over the past year, I only caught up with the comic this week. And I'm even more hooked than I was with aRTD :3333 I love the art, I love the story, and as a decidedly mediocre hobbyist digital comic doodler I find Minna's work wonderfully envyinspiring.

Like most Finns, I've got a few languages under my belt... I speak Finnish, English, Swedish and German fluently, French and Italian work best in written form. ;) Though I do get along in both if needs be!

I haven't been active on any forums for years! Goodness! But this community seemed too good to miss. :)

Edit: Fun fact: I was born and lived until I was 19 in Mikkeli, the city mentioned on this page: http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=24
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:42:46 PM by victrixia »

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 03:04:42 AM »
I had to google Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - it sounds like a really interesting and multifaceted martial art. I hope I'll get the chance someday to learn another eastern martial art besides karate, preferably one with weapons.

Then Bujinkan might be your thing since we have lots of weapons ;)

But seriously, Bujinkan is a very interesting form of budo. Since it's a combination of nine differnet ryu, "schools", it's really versatile. And since the basic idea is that anything that works is right it also gives lots of room for creativity, even though there are of course lots of formal kata too to base the henka, "variations", on.  I also like the fact that we practice the art for it's own sake, not to compete, and each and everyone progresses in their own pace according to their personal condition.

Edit Oooops. Sorry again Richard, forgot where I was since I noticed someone interested in Bujinkan ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:06:31 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Peridotal

• Uh-huh
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
Hello forum! I only found out about SSSS this past saturday, through a webcomic called Paranatural( more specifically, it's fantastic comment section). I took one look at this comic, and it was love! The art was great, and I loved that I could immediately tell what kind of characters Tuuri, Mikkel and Sigrun were with only one page (pg 198, actually   :D). So I binged the whole comic in 2 hrs, and somehow ended up here.

So about me... I'm currently the same age as Lalli, and live in Canada.

RumbleRose

• --If there is a chance to make you :) I will try--
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
hello forum! You really look dashing today.
My name is RumbleRose which is a made up of a word that starts with and R and my name but then pronouncable for most people. I guess I unconsiously chose the Rumble part because of the rumbling of thunders and storms which scare me a lot just like batman is afraid of bats :)
I found SSSS when I was looking at topwebcomics. And SSSS looked like a comic worth reading, little did I know that it was so much more! :o I first red aRTD because I thought it might be a prequal of some sort.

And I live in the Netherlands and love nature and animals and am pretty much a nerd and geek (combo!) and love to draw. And I am younger than Lalli.

that is my storeyyy, yeahh

()

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Greetings, Forum! I have not made myself known in this thread, and I shall endeavor to do so on the behest of PotatoBunny. Or was it PotatoeBunny? But I digress. Yes my real name is Noah, and no, I will not tell you my full last name. I am currently living in the State of Texas, which I like because of the low taxes and big frickin' plots of land just sitting there, and I don't like because of the fact that Ted Cruz is from here, everybody else in the United States hates us (seriously, they took a poll), and there are so many MOSQUITOES! Like I wake up and there are 5 bites on one leg, 3 on the other, two on my elbow, and one on my left foot. Used to live in California, and before that New York. Although I really shouldn't be telling you this either. But we're all decidedly non-stalker normal friends here, right? Riiiiight. I am a War History buff, specializing in WWII, and if any of you like WWII please contact me because I have not had any intelligent conversation on the topic in 8 years. I am half-and-half Korean Japanese, which in my mind gives me automatic permission to start bashing Japan, because when you study WWII as much as I do, you become glad that we nuked them. Twice. I love America for no particular reason other than the fact that I live here, therefore I hate all countries that oppose us by default. I also like Apple for no particular reason other than the fact that I use an iPhone, therefore I hate Android by default. It's kind of weird- I will take a side and unconsciously start hating the other side with all my inflamed passion. Another thing you probably don't want to know about me- I am official. Like I trust the government, despite their many attempts to convince me otherwise, I only ship the official couple, even if it's terrible (Harry Potter was such a pain.), I am anti-Republican but not pro-Democrat, and I am, according to Wikipedia,an "Apathetic Agnostic". Basically, that means that I don't care if there's a God, no God, several gods, or if the entire world is really just a ham sandwich in disguise. Although that last option sounds pretty good. I have a tendency to make bitingly insulting remarks, especially to my friends. In fact, only to my friends. For some weird reason, I have had the desire to beat someone up for the last year, problem is, I won't do it unless it's government sanctioned. So I have to wait until somebody robs my house. I like all music except for piano solos, dubstep, Miley Cyrus, and heavy metal. I mostly listen to movie themes, 70's and 80's, Symphony Orchestra, and pop.
Another thing you probably didn't want to know about me: I like anime. Especially the dark, horrifying stuff like Attack on Titan, Madoka Magica, you get the point. Now all my friends think that I am a psycho, anime-loving, violent, Applephilic Dictator who will reign over the world. Although really, if I had to take a job in the gov't it would be Secretary of Defense, and no higher than that. Because being supreme leader is fun and all, but that means that you have to interact with the masses, and if the masses include people like Ted Cruz, Bill O'Reilly, Miley Cyrus, and Donald Sterling, I want to get as far away from the masses as I can possibly can, because the minority is a loud minority.
A'ight, that ends my rambling rant on myself, if you got this far, congratulations! You now know a whole bunch of stuff you never cared about in the first place!

Luci

• Super-Newbie
  • o/
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »
Well... hun... I'm really not that good at introductions, so... Hello, forum people~ (if there's still anyone online here)
Before everything, I have to say that, doesn't matter how faster I can read in English, I'm always pretty awful writing in that language (actually, in all the ones I know, but that's another story). So, if you see something wrong, I'm sorry  :-\
So, could you guys notice me if there's something really wrong in my posts? :) That's the first time I'm entering in a "international" forum, that's a good way to practice and meet new people~

Ok! Now, introduction! ... ... ... Wow, I'm really ashamed...  I'm a 16 year-old Brazilian girl. I met the comic by starting reading aRTD before (which I found in some sponsor in other webcomic site). I just becomed so impressed with Minna's art style and good stories that, after thinking a little about enter or not here, I decided to definitively be part of the fandom~

Oh, and I'm a amateur artist (I drew my avatar and one of my wishes is to one day draw my own webcomic), internet lover and distracted high school student. I'm kinda good at languages, but I have neither money nor time to any course, so I'm trying to learn alone for a while. For now, I'm fluent in Portuguese, understand English well (but not totally, yet!) and I'm learning Spanish (I don't like that one so much, but, as it's very close to my native language, is more easy for me to learn).

Well, that's all! (Did I said that I have such a bad habit to write so much? It gets annoying with time :-X) See ya~
What I know:
What I try to:
What I partly know:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »
Well... hun... I'm really not that good at introductions, so... Hello, forum people~ (if there's still anyone online here)

Hello, Luci! And there are always people online here. We take it in shifts.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
Hello, Luci! And there are always people online here. We take it in shifts.
Some timezones are sparser than others, but I think Luci should be fine. :)

Hi, Luci, welcome. Your English is quite understandable, and it will improve as you keep practicing!

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
Some timezones are sparser than others, but I think Luci should be fine. :)

Hi, Luci, welcome. Your English is quite understandable, and it will improve as you keep practicing!
We're all friends here, right? Riiiiiight.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
We're all friends here, right? Riiiiiight.

Yes, but let's not clog down the introduction thread with too many filler comments.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk: