Author Topic: The Introduction Thread  (Read 580904 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: The Introduction Thread
« Reply #4320 on: February 08, 2021, 07:28:00 AM »
Well, it will happen. Hopefully not now, or within the foreseeable future which could be considered to be a few hundreds or if we want to stretch it a bit, even a few thousand years (although if you look back 2000 years, it’s clear we can’t possibly imagine what humanity will be like 2000 years into the future, if we do manage to survive). But in the last instance the Sun will die, so even if no supervolcanoes or colliding asteroids ever happen again (and they will happen), there is an end. All things must end.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Hopefully it won’t fall on us, or our kids, or grandkids etc.
Luckily there are billions of years ahead of Earth before the Sun turns in a red giant. :) So I'm quite sure that if something lives on Earth by that time it won't be anything like us.
You don't have to look back 2000 years. Just imagine the World in 1821, or in 1921! Humans made extraordinaire, and terrible, things. But not counting the eventual supervolcano or asteroid (that may happen in ten or ten thousand years) we are facing a tipping point with the conjunction of excessive population growth + environmental pollution + climate change. I'd say that the next hundred years will be very dangerous and we, our kids and grandkids will be affected, hopefully in a mild way (to live in the more developed countries helps a lot in that). All that said I have great hope in the next generation, and if we, together, find ways to overcome the XXI Century's problems, we may pass the Great Filter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter) and have an amazing Future ahead.
So we can think how privileged we are to have a actual role in a decisive moment for our Civilization! (I'm that guy that, like Mikkel, always see the half-full glass, remember?) :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4321 on: February 08, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
I wonder what will come next? For my part, I put a lot of work and time into supporting and repairing the land and the present biosystems of our earth, doing revegetation projects, cleaning up bushland and rivers, working on recycling projects, teaching people to ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’, and teaching food gardening, wild food foraging and ‘eat the weeds’. All useful skills. (If you want to see the kind of things we do, look up ‘Recreate’ at the Mount Pleasant Natural Resource Centre. You may find useful ideas for ecology-saving projects of your own).

And yeah, I well know that everything perishes, including worlds. I think we just need to make the best job of what we have, while we have it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4322 on: February 08, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »
Beautiful words, Róisín! And even more beautiful deeds. You are a hero of the people AND the planet.

Grey, now that you mention it, you may be right that we are facing a Great Filter! (Notice, I say a, not the). We are at a turning point, that’s for sure. There are many reasons to despair, but also emerging signs of actually starting to take things seriously. Things like banks setting numerical targets on the carbon loading of their investments and loans. There’s only so much we can do one Róisín at a time :) As we aren’t all Róisín.

This discussion is veering far away from Introduction Thread however. If we want to continue, we should open a proper thread. Maybe even in the Politics board.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #4323 on: February 08, 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
*Blushes to her boots*
And I reckon that there are things all of us can do. Anyone can be a hero for the earth. As the filk song ‘Steps’ has it:
‘Step by step the longest march
Can be won, can be won.
Many stones can form an arch
Singly none, singly none.
And together what we will
Can be accomplished still.
Many drops can turn a mill.
Singly none, singly none.’

Saving the world one backyard at a time may sound weird, but we can try.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4324 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »
That's a great song, Róisín.

I have it associated in my head with Pete Seeger, but apparently he didn't write it:

/>
https://farfringe.com/stlt157-step-by-step-the-longest-march/

(that's two separate links, in case it shows up confusingly; the first to Seeger singing it, the second to a bit about the history of the song.)

Jitter, no, we're not all Róisín (if everybody were like Róisín, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place); but almost everybody can pick a corner that they can work in. Find your corner, and do what you can there. Enough people doing that may pull us out yet.

Feya

• Blue-haired goblin with a shiny rock collection
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4325 on: March 10, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
Hello <3
I'm Feya and I've been eartips deep into Minna's comics for about two months and I'm about halfway through 2nd re-reads now. Anyways, I'm not ready to dive back into Tumblr hell, but I found this forum and I'd like to give it a try. ^^

A little about me: I'm a biology (botany focusing) student in my mid 20s from the teeny-tiny geographical heart of Europe - Czech Republic :cz: . I've always had a big passion for webcomics (TwoKinds, Ava's Demon, The Boy Who Fell, Prequel, The Weave, ...) but so far this is probly next to Ava one that struck me the most. Apart from that, I quite enjoy RPGs, both tabletop and on PC, MMOs included (I actively play Elder Scrolls Online), listening to various kinds of music, drawing, crafting (wires, poly clay, epoxy resin, sewing), taking photos of plants and cuddling cats. Speaking of cats, I have 2 babies: a ginger boy Simba (2,5 y) and tricolour princess Momo (0,5 y). Favourite aesthetics: indie coffeeshop, goblincore, dreamy cute and creepy cute.

It's nice to meet you all! ^^
Native: CZ
Fluent: GB/US
Semi-capable: SK, PL, FR
Know some phrases: LAT, JP
Want to learn: SWE

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4326 on: March 10, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
Welcome, Feya, glad to see you.
As for ES online... I'm a bit concerned about your choice. Compared to Morrowind or even Oblivion it's like pan Andrzej compared to Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:11:54 PM by Maglor »
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #4327 on: March 10, 2021, 12:57:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum Feya! It's nice to meet you!
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4328 on: March 10, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
Welcome Feya

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4329 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:14 PM »
Welcome welcome Feya! Here, have a cookie: :squirrelcookie:
Please enjoy your stay! :))
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4330 on: March 10, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
 :sparkle: Welcome, Feya, welcome!  :sparkle: Nice meeting you! ;)
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4331 on: March 10, 2021, 02:35:35 PM »
Hello Feya and welcome to the Forum! (This is btw the first time I encounter the Aesthetics in a natural situation, as opposed to having a friend tell me about their kids’ aesthetics. Goes to show I’m old)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #4332 on: March 10, 2021, 04:10:43 PM »
Feya, welcome to the Forum! Enjoy!

Feya

• Blue-haired goblin with a shiny rock collection
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #4333 on: March 10, 2021, 04:28:17 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcomes ^-^

Hello Feya and welcome to the Forum! (This is btw the first time I encounter the Aesthetics in a natural situation, as opposed to having a friend tell me about their kids’ aesthetics. Goes to show I’m old)
Hehe, it's not a common thing, I guess? I'm just really "living" especially the goblincore niches lately, so I thought it might be good to mention it. :D
Native: CZ
Fluent: GB/US
Semi-capable: SK, PL, FR
Know some phrases: LAT, JP
Want to learn: SWE

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #4334 on: March 10, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Feya!!!!! Nice to see another Ava's Demon fan (as well as goblincore!! if i had to pick a favorite aesthetic it would be that :-))
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05: