Author Topic: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'  (Read 108051 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Lovely People aka 'the bunny comic'
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2021, 07:50:36 PM »
The social credit system tends to erase any sort of lifestyle that doesn't exactly match up with the prevailing culture. Sound familiar?

Yup. It sounds exactly like 'there is only one true religion and way of living, and everyone must conform to it.'

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
Yup. It sounds exactly like 'there is only one true religion and way of living, and everyone must conform to it.'
"If you don't, you're a non-person living in sin and destined for Hell. It's all your fault. You could have made better choices! You could have chosen the Proper Path!"

I've been trying to explain to my husband why I've been so down today. Dealing with a lot of old scars and still processing it all, I guess.

It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm sure happy I popped over here on a whim. 
It's good to get confirmation once in a while when things bother you...
The posts here have been wonderful and lifted my spirits a bit.
I'm doing a bit of preemptive grieving about our group here I guess, as I've seen several other groups destroyed by this type of thing.
This group is the only social life I have and I'll be really sad if I loose it !
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
I'll continue to follow SSSS till the end, but won't follow anything religious from Minna.
Butter Good !

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2021, 09:25:32 PM »
This group is the only social life I have and I'll be really sad if I loose it !
I'll continue to follow SSSS till the end, but won't follow anything religious from Minna.
Butter Good !
Butter Good, Crumpite. :)

I agree about not following anything religious.

I'd forgotten about these forums until they got mentioned in yesterday's comments although it seems I registered already at some point in the past. I genuinely love reading comments (and poems!) from the Commentariat. Since this forum is unaffiliated with Minna already, maybe it could be a new home for The Group At Large?
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Crumpite

• Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2021, 09:49:06 PM »
Now that's a thought...
I like the comment section because you can reply to posts instead of just adding on to the end like we do here, but this will serve if need be. 
This is a trifle premature but it would be good to get a discussion started. 
This is too good of a group to loose !
The Group at Large Chowder and Dream Duck Society 😀

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2021, 09:57:24 PM »
"If you don't, you're a non-person living in sin and destined for Hell.

That is the point where discussions lead to exactly nowhere good. Because christians believes this. I believe my bisexual life without any organized religion (but not without believing some things) is quite fine. And there is no way to find any compromise. The believers really just want the best for you when they say your complete life is wrong. But nobody wants to hear that following their own nature/heart/soul/spirit/whatever in the direction best for yourself is wrong/sin/evil.

We will see what effect Minna's faith has on her work. That is in my oppinon the most important question here. But we can only find out by waiting.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
Since this forum is unaffiliated with Minna already, maybe it could be a new home for The Group At Large?

Maybe it can also continue to be a home for those of us who've been here, even if we quit reading the comic.

I like the comment section because you can reply to posts instead of just adding on to the end like we do here, but this will serve if need be. 

Do you mean because a reply on Discus can be inserted into the thread at that point, even if the thread's a lot of posts further on?

I only lurked on the Discus discussions; but I always found that confusing; I never knew whether new posts had shown up or not, or where to look for them if they had. I find it easier to keep track of what people are replying to by having them quote the relevant bits at the top of what they're posting. You can get back to the quoted post if you want by clicking on its header.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2021, 11:00:12 PM »
We will see what effect Minna's faith has on her work. That is in my oppinon the most important question here. But we can only find out by waiting.
Quote from: Minna's comment on today's comic
IN CLONCLUSION: it's okay to be upset with me, no bad feelings, SSSS will continue as normal until its end, and then I'll see where God takes me for the next project. See you on Thursday for the next page, we're getting close to the end of this chapter.
I have a feeling it's going to be more of the same theme as "Lovely People" once SSSS is done. You're right, though, we can only find out by waiting.
Maybe it can also continue to be a home for those of us who've been here, even if we quit reading the comic.
I hope so! The Commentariat is one of the kindest places on the internet! I've had more to say in the last 24 hours here than I think I've said in pretty much the entire time I've been reading the comic. :( I always read people's comments even if I don't feel like I've usually got much to contribute. It's a wonderful group of people and I'd like to remain a part of that (even if it's a small part), if I could.

gjuerne

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2021, 11:06:53 PM »
Oh dear. And uffda fyda. I started to read Lovely People, because CUTE MINNA BUNNIES, but bailed after about five minutes despite my love of Minna’s art. It was giving me a vibe that I was going to get bashed over the head with some Correct Viewpoint with Only One Correct Conclusion Allowed. I’m too old to waste time on that bs.

Thank you, community members, for the thoughtful and passionate discussion here. I have dearly loved the international community and the intelligent discussions as well as the poetry, pun cascades, and silliness that happen in the comment section.

I’ve seen troubled people succumb to rather toxic brands of Christianity promulgated by certain groups; I hope Minna has not mixed herself up with folks like that. I too hope that comment by Minna’s dad was the real deal, she’ll need supportive family.

PyroDesu

• Laudato si ad astra
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2021, 01:02:42 AM »

I mean, it's caused her to stop work on CoH (a SSSS spinoff game she'd been working on for 3-4 years now), and SSSS is stopping as soon as she wraps up the current storyline.

So there's a couple of major effects it's having.

And I don't have much hope for future works, given what she said.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2021, 02:38:05 AM »
It's kind of funny... those bunnies still haven't learned the art of critical thinking. The first step was choosing to leave the social credit system. They took up another dogma - but they chose to. This wasn't something they were just handed at 15. They just weren't ready to start making their own decisions yet.

There are some very Finnish connections that popped out to me. One has to do with using religious' dogma as basis for any sort of discrimination in a TV-interview and/or trying to do politics with that.

Another is a novel series Sammon Vartijat by Timo Parvela I was reminded of when they discarded the cellphones. It's basically an adventure story about Finnish Mythology.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2021, 03:39:25 AM »
Interesting points, Suominoita. Critical thinking is so important in life. I have long surmised that there is a reason that subjects such as logic/critical thinking and Civics have been dropped from so many school curricula in the USA in the last few decades. The conservative movements continuing their drift towards fascism, and the darker and more destructive/repressive types of Evangelical religion would both benefit from congregations who do not clearly understand their rights and obligations as citizens of a working democracy, and who do not understand how to evaluate the worth of things they are told as ‘facts’. Ignorant people are ripe for the picking and exploiting.

And Crumpite, I meant to say: don’t give up on us! We would hate to lose your wit and insight.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:41:41 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Marvin

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2021, 03:50:51 AM »
If that technocracy is to come it will come, be it in 5 years or 50, and it will be in accordance with God's plan. For me personally I wont be harmed by it, because God already had mercy on me and pulled me to him last year. My soul is safe, no matter what's to come.

Oh doi.... If that bit was under Lovely People I overlooked it yesterday. But this is really dark. It's almost like she snapped and some fundamentalist cult took her soul. It's sad.

And the new comments with new SSSS page are even more worrying. "No I'm not hurt, I feel only compassion" and so on... Blinded by the light, really...

I really hoped this was a fluke and somhow she'd come out and state something like: "Ha! Gotcha! I hope you all got the bitter irony of leaving the technolized religion of the social credit system, just to enter another oppressive system in the veil of a deeper moral truth"

To be clear, she can believe whatever she wants, but for me personally it is utterly sad. She created this beautiful spiritual and (despite all the bad things happening) hopeful world of SSSS based on ancient mythology. And yet, she fell for some bullshit oppressive dogma thats in no way different than the "evil system" her bunnies fled.

shit...

Raaffiie

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2021, 06:15:05 AM »
Hi all, I've been following the comic for a while but I never got to commenting on this particular comic. But I've always enjoyed reading your poems and your conversations, especially those about language learning. I've been learning Finnish for years, and this comic and its comment section have played a significant role in keeping me motivated. I even read the Finnish version of aRTD several times to improve my reading comprehension, and like most of you, I'm quite taken aback and struggling to process this whole situation.

If I might make a suggestion, and if people are comfortable with it, why don't you make a subreddit for this group? That would allow you to keep the structure of the comment section, where people can make posts and reply to each other in threads in the comments. Of course it's just one of many options, but my personal experience with Reddit has been quite positive for smaller communities like these.
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2021, 06:31:41 AM »
There already is a subreddit, but it is not a confortable format for a lot of people and also the site is trash in general so not a lot of people are on it
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....