Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2382774 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18360 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »
Róisín, good luck!

ETA: That is, I hope you have some.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18361 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:31 AM »
Thanks, mate! We could certainly use some at present.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18362 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
Still no Wi-Fi connection after 5 days. Used up my data on the phone by Sunday but it renewed today so I have limited access. Roaming on the phone is slow.Don't know what the problem is with my ip.

:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #18363 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »
Heya~

It's been a while! Nice to see you all again~

I just have a little question for the ppl here:

I obtained detailed sizing info from American Apparel on the sizes of the T-shirts in the Hivemill store (the print is done on American Apparel shirts). I had to get them, especially for the 2XL and 3XL sizes which aren't listed on the website in detail, to know which size would go over my dumb large boobs without stretching (and soon killing) the print.

Should I start a thread to list those or is there a thread for that? Or should I just post it here and cram as many searchable words related to the printed shirts as possible so ppl find this? :'D

Love you all,

Aki
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18364 on: October 15, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
Whoot! I'm back in the world. We got a new internet provider.

Róisín

« Reply #18365 on: October 15, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
Hopefully we will see more of you now you have internet again?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18366 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
Heya~

It's been a while! Nice to see you all again~

I just have a little question for the ppl here:

I obtained detailed sizing info from American Apparel on the sizes of the T-shirts in the Hivemill store (the print is done on American Apparel shirts). I had to get them, especially for the 2XL and 3XL sizes which aren't listed on the website in detail, to know which size would go over my dumb large boobs without stretching (and soon killing) the print.

Should I start a thread to list those or is there a thread for that? Or should I just post it here and cram as many searchable words related to the printed shirts as possible so ppl find this? :'D

Love you all,

Aki

Good to see you again!
Without going back through the links, are Hivemill offering the 2X & 3X sizes for Minna's shirts?  If yes, by all means post the measurements here.  (This is preferable to the links, which can be perhaps viewed as verboten commercial activity.) 
Or have I misunderstood the query?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18367 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
I back up all my photos in two places after hearing of disasters my friends have suffered so no worries there. My season has ended due to cold weather and ill health so the ball is in your court now, Roisin. Enjoy your summer and keep us snowbirds distracted.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 10:28:37 AM by midwestmutt »

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18368 on: October 18, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »
Good to see you again!
Without going back through the links, are Hivemill offering the 2X & 3X sizes for Minna's shirts?  If yes, by all means post the measurements here.  (This is preferable to the links, which can be perhaps viewed as verboten commercial activity.) 
Or have I misunderstood the query?

It's nice to be back! ... when I do remember to check in here :')

I was just wondering if it was better to post this in a thread or just here... Guess I'll just post it here and if a separate thread is needed, that can always be done later.

Hivemill is selling up to 3XL so yes, above the regular sizing help from the website.

This is the answer I got from American Apparel so I'm just copying the numbers (inches) as I got them. From what I understand from sewing experiences, the chest width is the width of the shirt laid flat, the body length is from the top seam at the shoulder to the bottom of the shirt and sleeve length (center cap) is from the middle of the back, to the shoulder and down the sleeve. So these numbers should be understood as more or less what the shirt itself would measure as if laid out flat but this can accomodate some variation in the actual human size underneath.

Edit: the sleeve measurements don't seem to add up if understood as center cap as JoB pointed out! I didn't consider the sleeve length measurements much as I don't care much about them but yeah, these look like they'd be more fitting as the measurement from the shoulder/armpit seam to the end of the sleeve. Sorry about that!

(I don't understand how to make a table in rich text so... *shrug* bear with this format please ^^)

Size: (Chest width); (Body Length), (Sleeve length, center cap)

XS: 16.5; 27.75; 8.125
S: 18; 28.75; 8.375
M: 20; 29.75; 8.625
L: 22; 30.75; 8.875
XL: 24; 31.75; 9.125
2XL: 26; 32.75; 9.375
3XL: 28; 33.75; 9.625

So if you're unsure, grab a shirt with a similar cut and measure it out after laying it out flat. This will give you an insight for the size you would most likely be comfortable in.

Addition:
This is what the website lists (based off the measurements for men's fine jersey shirts with simple crewneck cuts) as part of their size guide. As mentioned before, unhelpfully, this does not include the 2XL and 3XL bc screw bigger people, I guess?

Size: (Chest, around the fullest part of your chest); (Arm length, from tip of shoulder to wrist)
XS: 35" - 36"; 24.25" - 24.5"
S: 37" - 38"; 24.75" - 25"
M: 39" - 40"; 25.25" - 25.5"
L: 41" - 42"; 25.75" - 26"
XL: 43" - 44"; 26.25" - 26.5"

American Apparel is said to run small, according to some people so keep that in mind? Also, you can always make a shirt smaller by taking in some seams but the opposite is far more difficult so yeah...

Have fun with your shirts if this info helped!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:23:53 PM by Aki »
Languages:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #18369 on: October 19, 2018, 01:18:52 AM »
Aki, thanks for the shirt sizing information - it will indeed come in handy! I so often find myself waffling over XL?/2XL? type decisions, especially now that so many attractive things are only available online.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #18370 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
and sleeve length (center cap) is from the middle of the back, to the shoulder and down the sleeve.
Umh, that can't be true, I'm afraid. Because if it were, then the "sleeves" of a
Size: (Chest width); (Body Length), (Sleeve length, center cap)
3XL: 28; 33.75; 9.625
would reach 9 5/8 inches from the middle of the back while it's the half of 28 = 14 inches from the middle of the back to even reach the shoulder (more precisely, the armpit, as the top-of-the-shoulder-seam should be even a bit farther out). Or am I misunderstanding your description ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18371 on: October 19, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Umh, that can't be true, I'm afraid. Because if it were, then the "sleeves" of awould reach 9 5/8 inches from the middle of the back while it's the half of 28 = 14 inches from the middle of the back to even reach the shoulder (more precisely, the armpit, as the top-of-the-shoulder-seam should be even a bit farther out). Or am I misunderstanding your description ... ?

Ah sorry, I guess that doesn't work, yeah :'D
They communicated those numbers to me as "Sleeve length (center cap)". I googled "center cap" to make sure it was the same thing as I'd been taught but didn't really bother checking with the numbers as the sleeve lengths weren't really my concern...

Can't say much else than that this is what they sent me??? The sleeve length should in this case probably be more understood as from the seam to the end of the sleeve? 9 inches would fit that about...

Thanks for pointing that out!
Languages:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #18372 on: October 21, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
Hi all! It has been a while for me too, I'm just popping in because I bought one of the shirts so Aki hit me up on twitter to talk about measurements. I figured I'd report our findings here.

I got a medium, and the sizing as far as width and length seems to be as described by American Apparel. Can't quite figure out the sleeve thing either, though now that I'm looking at it again I think it might refer to the distance from the top shoulder seam to the end of the sleeve, which was one we didn't measure. Also bear in mind that the shirts may shrink a bit after washing, my shirt hasn't been washed yet so I can't say how much.

Also, I though people might find it helpful to see the color of the print close-up, because it's much lighter than I expected. I'm assuming they did that to have it stand out against the black, which it does really well - and I think it looks darker from a distance, closer to how the colors look on Minna's website theme and the image on the Hivemill store. Not sure if the same will be true for the white shirt or not. Anyway, here are pictures!

The purple is more like a lavender, and the red is really more of a bright/salmon pink. I do wish they'd made it a bit more red, but it still looks pretty good when seen as a whole, especially against the dark background. I got two compliments on it yesterday, and neither of those people had any idea what the design was from so I'd call that a win!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

« Reply #18373 on: October 23, 2018, 01:59:03 AM »
For anyone in London with an interest in history and archæology: today (Tuesday) the British Museum is showing a documentary film about the recent international expedition exploring the seabed of the Black Sea. This expedition has recently found the world's oldest known intact shipwreck, a 75-footer complete with rudder and rowing benches, probably Greek, from around 2,400 years ago. Fascinating stuff!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18374 on: October 23, 2018, 07:36:08 AM »
For anyone in London with an interest in history and archæology: today (Tuesday) the British Museum is showing a documentary film about the recent international expedition exploring the seabed of the Black Sea. This expedition has recently found the world's oldest known intact shipwreck, a 75-footer complete with rudder and rowing benches, probably Greek, from around 2,400 years ago. Fascinating stuff!

Just another reason to wish I was in London...
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t