Author Topic: YoinkTober 2021  (Read 9119 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: YoinkTober 2021
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 04:17:41 PM »
Wow, I love these!
I can see poor petulant Sointu, and the whole set-up, so well-imagined.  I love me some worldbuilding.
*watch me click the link ssoooo fast to sssee the pretty snakesss*

Oh, the spiderdog, nuuuu
(I wonder why we haven't seen much about sunlight and trolls in Adv. 2. This was one of the more inspiring snippets of worldbuilding surrounding the Rashed we got.)
I liked the 2nd drabble too, and it's totally in character.  Lanky Reynir could pull off a swishy dress, and would be game enough to stand in to be helpful.  Can Onni?  Hrm, hrm.  :onni:

*shuffles feet* I did a YoinkTober thing, too.  But... it definitely falls into the "thanks I hate it" category.  I was contemplating a redraw of a SSSS/Miraculous Ladybug mashup I did a couple of years ago (Emil transforms into Chat Noir), but I've had a hard working week.  I sat down and my mind travelled to a not-particularly-magical transformation we saw earlier this year. 
So, yeah.  Apologies, folks.

Once she turned 15, Lavender wilfully trashed her rating
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 05:47:16 PM »
Oh, wow. It's already October?
*Frantically sketches something dumb*
Um... There! A magical girl!

Okay, it's not a transformation but I couldn't resist the thought of a magical girl Mikkel. Could also work for "New clothes " too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:13:30 PM by Opaque »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 03:27:08 AM »
b-b-bwahahaHAHAHA what a Mikkel!

My Day 2 choice is much less controversial.  For Change of Seasons, many of us mark the passing of seasons in the garden, using our tools to prepare plants, pots and beds.  (ink drawing of a trowel in front of crumpled dirty garden gloves)

(I may start making bundle posts with more than one day's offering.  We'll see.)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 05:03:29 AM »
wavewright62, I did enjoy the bunny picture but
Spoiler: show
when I first saw it I thought it was meant to be a drawing of Minna. Is that too mean for this forum? I can delete.
And would it bother you if I said that the trowel and gloves are a bit spooooky? I feel like the fingers could climb out of hiding and attack me at any moment. (glovetroll?)

Opaque. What can I say about Mikkel. Except that his fashion choices are... bold. The underboob window! The armlets! The skirt that covers nothing! He's just standing there, waiting for our reaction...

Would bundle posts be better etiquette? I am thinking about trying to set a rhythm where I do a response post, and then my own content post. (Daily for now, possibly much rarer as work revs up.)

fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 05:12:57 AM »
2.10.2021 Change of Season

A double drabble this time. As you see, I used the prompt as a... starting point, more than anything. Emilalli warning. Appropriate for general audiences, but horrible fluff. Ugh, I need a black coffee.

Lalli clearly failed to grasp the seriousness of the situation. “But it’s normal,” he said. “Hair turns grey. The way some leaves turn yellow, or red, in autumn.”

“You and your obsession with trees…” Emil leaned closer to the mirror, inspecting his head for more flashes of traitorous grey. “But wait! Trees lose their leaves. Will I lose my hair?”

“Maybe. Trond did, remember?”

“I do, yes. It looked horrible.” Emil sighed dramatically. “Could you still love me if I looked like Trond?”

Lalli gave this some thought. “The age difference would be weird, now. But one day, sure. I am getting older too, you know.”

“It’s not the same! You look exactly like your grandmother, who looked amazing even in her seventies. It’s that ridiculous Hotakainen bone structure, and the ashy hair, which doesn’t change much with age. I, meanwhile, am known for… this.” Emil indicated his crowning glory. “Who would I even be, without it?”

“An idiot? Same as now?” Lalli moved closer and slid his arms around Emil. Their eyes met in the mirror. “But you just said it yourself: if your hair turns grey, you will look more like a Hotakainen. Would you really mind that?”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:42:32 AM by tehta »
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »
Awwww  :lalli: <3 :emil: that is so sweet! And exactly on topic! The prompts are just that, prompts to act as a starting point.

Single or bundle posts is up to you! In the chapter breaks single posts are the ”norm”, in the long YoinkTober some do bundles. But in my opinion single posts are better because there is more often something to see! Although I realise I proooobably check more often than most.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »
Here, have a cracker. I was going to post some autumn photos, but then this happened.

Change of Season

It was a disaster. None of the players had deemed it suitable for their dignity to appear in time. No, that was not right, there was someone standing at the edge of the stage, looking lost. “Um, am I in the right place? I think I was told to come here and…” his voice trailed away.
“And who the frack are you?”
“I, um, my name is Rowan and the agency lady told me to… I’m sorry. Can I help you with anything?”
”Stay put. Don’t touch anything. Or lick anything.  Anything!”
”Ah, um, ok, I’ll just wait here then?”

She stormed of, yelling at the top of her lungs “Lucky? Lucky!! Where are you?”
The writer appeared  “Yes?”
”Run the cast by me again. There’s a redhead at my stage!”
“Readhead? That must be the new leading lady then!”
“Well, didn’t look like a lady to me… Michael? Michael!”

Her personal assistant came running.
“Where is everyone? Where have you been?”
“I was merely making sure Lawrence gets dressed”
“It’s not a dress rehearsal! We are just getting started!“
“No, I mean they weren’t dressed at all. He and that stylist of his. But he’s coming now.”
She looked at her assistant quizzically, but he was perfectly deadpan. “I hope you mean he is arriving. Very soon.”

Returning to the stage she saw Owen had turned up. The noob Rowan was trying to greet him in a friendly way, but unsurprisingly Owen was merely glaring at him. What is it with these people? Why does a lovely singing voice always come in such a difficult package?

Finally everyone was on stage. A little later Emile the stylist had been removed from stage, and they could at long last start the first rehearsal of the season. Change of season was always nerve wracking. The singers were not prepared, the shoestring budget was enough to cover half of their needs, and the divas always hated the play at first.

But somehow she always got it to work in the end, with her most best director and producer skills. It would be great this year too. The new leading lady was a total noob, but she already saw Rowan and Owen had chemistry. But when Owen and Lawrence sang, it was like a dream. Almost like the stage had been transported to another world. It would be another successful season for the company.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:49:32 PM by Jitter »

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2021, 04:30:50 PM »
I would say that writings to the prompts would be better as one-a-day.  I find it's less daunting for me to read on-screen.  For images, the only reasons I consider bundled postings are a) when I skip days, and b) there have been years where I feel awkward posting daily, if there are only a few of us participating. 
There is not an 'etiquette' to whether you post daily or bundled.

I admit the trowel was the initial subject, then I added in the gloves where they were (hadn't even included them in the pencils), hence their less-than-artful arrangement.  They detracted from the clarity, but ...post, and move on.

Spoiler: lavender • show
Subtext? Moi? *flutters eyelashes and sips beverage*
Yes, it was intended, and admittedly somewhat dodgy on my part, hence the apologies.

Now - for the writings themselves - splendid stuff!

Aging gracefully is an art, and not everyone can do it, but I love the interplay here tehta.  Lalli especially is written in character.  Possibly unpopular opinion: Emil would look stunning bald.  He has those dramatic eyebrows over startlingly-coloured eyes, and a glorious nose to hold it all together.  The prospect of his famous golden locks turning white is also good.  Little does he know, but I'm glad Lalli expresses it.

Jitter - nice interpretation of 'season', so clever.  Singing 'like a dream' o-HO.  The names of the cast's doppelgangers are cute.  But... what is the Director's name, may I ask?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:37:30 PM by wavewright62 »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »
Thanks Wave! The director is no one else than the most best Ms Victoria!

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 01:16:22 AM »
Any fandom includes video games right?
I went with a not completely ridiculous post this time.

(Changes in Seasons)
The Mountain Dwellers

High on the once green mountain valley
Above all that had grown when spring came
Freezing winds rise from the alley

After the strongest fell
Our homes became our cell
Piles of snow amass
Whirlwinds too cold to pass

Waiting here for a light
To banish the cold night
One to see the unseen
A new strength we can lean

Restless spirits from the mountain path
Who have come together. Who can see.
To calm the mountain peak from it's wrath

With those who folded in
And those who have fallen
They progress through the cold
To reach the frozen hold

After forever there
Sudden warmth fills the air
The wind dies. The ice thaws.
Fully done with their cause

The new spring awoke a single bird
So the spirits left without a word
They have more to do. Or so I've heard.

Inspired by:
The Legend of Zelda- Majoras Mask

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 02:48:45 AM »
Response post time!

Jiiri: yes, a very clever interpretation! I guessed what was going on when I saw 'Rowan' and 'help' in the same sentence. Apart from the part about the singing that transports you to another world, I also liked the fact that Emile had to be removed from the stage. But that was very rude of Michael, to interrupt the styling session like that! I hear naked styling is all the rage in some circles.

Opaque: I have not played the game, but the poem is very evocative. At least, it evokes how I feel at the end of every winter. (And wait, it would work for both Changes in Seasons and, in a way, Mask, wouldn't it?)

Also, I agree that Emil could rock a shaved head! I am at an age where more and more of my male peers are shaving their heads, and it can be a very good look. I will have to see if any artists are willing to draw this.

Oh, and I just realized I forgot to reply to the comment on trolls and sunlight. You're right, Adventure Two barely (bearly?) talks about it, and we see plenty of activity during the day. I think there is a mention of overcast days being more dangerous?

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2021, 03:06:32 AM »
3.10.2021 Masks

Getting sloppy with wordcounts! 250 words this time. Still SSSS, and pretty classic SSSS at that.

"Aren’t you glad you’re immune?” Emil asked. “I know I am. Not just for the obvious reasons, but also because those rubber masks seem terrible."

Talking to Lalli was... pleasant. Oddly so, given that Lalli obviously couldn't understand anything Emil said, and spent most of the time staring at various rocks, trees, and clouds. Sometimes even at the air. Although, he did sit with Emil by choice, and would sometimes stare at him in between staring at all the inanimate objects. Maybe that was enough.

"Seriously,” Emil continued, “they look so uncomfortable. And so unflattering! Anyone who wears one is in danger of looking like a, well…"

"Like a what, Emil?"

Emil managed to muffle most of his involuntary little scream. Where had Tuuri come from?

"Do go on,” she said brightly. “I'm very interested!"

"Oh… I didn't mean you, of course. Your face was made to wear a mask!"

Tuuri frowned. "Are you calling me ugly?"

"No, of course, I just--"

"Lalli..." Tuuri turned to her cousin and started to say something in Finnish.

Emil grabbed her arm. "No, please, don't tell him what I said! He'll hate me!"

“But my feelings are hurt!” Tuuri gave him a pointy little smile. "Why shouldn’t I turn to my cousin for comfort?"

"I'll do all your chores this evening! And tomorrow!"

Her smile widened. "How about this whole week?"

Emil glanced at Lalli, who was staring at them, his pale eyes full of curiosity.

“Fine. A week it is,” he said.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:11:58 AM by tehta »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2021, 03:53:03 AM »
Very evocative indeed, Opaque!
Ah, we all miss snarky Miss Tuuri, do we not?

I turned back to the Prologue for this next one - Masks.  It's an illustration of one of the first fanworks I ever wrote (under the spoiler). It features the woman who appeared on the Danish talk show, urging people to wear masks to help stop the spread of the new Rash illness.

Spoiler: the origin of the beast dog of chap 7 • show
Mme. Stine sighed as she unlocked her apartment door.
She'd had a tough day, taping the news hour and almost getting into a punch-up with that imbecile Pedersen. She'd endured the looks from the people on the streets, some looking sidelong at her face mask.

As she opened the door, Mitzi bounded up to her, tongue lolling. She smiled and scritched behind the hound's ear, setting the heart tag on Mitzi's collar jingling. The dog had a terrible habit of chasing and catching the rats in the park near the hospital, but she was the light of Mme. Stine's life.

She took off her face mask. "Give us a kiss, Mitzi." Mitzi obliged. "Who's a good girl then."

The people could all get the so-called 'rash illness', but you can always trust a dog.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2021, 06:13:09 AM »
Wave, oh no, spider dog being the most best girl  :'( :'( :'(

Tehta tee hee hee scheming Tuuri is scheming. Best part was “ and would sometimes stare at him in between staring at all the inanimate objects. Maybe that was enough.” Poor Emil.

Opaque, I have also not played that game, but the poem works without the background as well. It evokes a mighty fantasy tale, perhaps a game, perhaps a story. But I have well enough imagery to go with it without the actual game :) Also I’m glad you wanted to share from a different fandom - we are in agreement that we wanted to, and must, diversify, but we don’t really do very much of that yet. So, special thank you for this reason!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2021, 10:12:28 AM »
Yay there´s so many awesome contributions already!!!

Since there´s such a lot I´ll only comment on the most recent ones, but I read and looked at them all, and I love them!

Opaque, I do know (and love) Majora´s Mask, and your poem captures the story beautifully! The ... giants? (I´m sorry, I only know what they were called in German :P) seem to be those really calm creatures, and the same energy is in your writing! (Hehe, does that mean, LoZ-content is something that more people here are interested in? Now that is something you should have not told me >:D)

tehta, this story really put a smile to my face as someone who also enjoys writing snarky banter between Tuuri and Emil! :)) (I do miss her still, but don´t we all?)

Wave, what a sweet drawing! But man did that short story-part give me a feeling of dread... :')

As for bulk-posts, I´m afraid I have no real choice but to do them, due to my usual problem of "there´s less daylight than I would need for photographing my drawings". :P After all, I like using all 24 hours I´ve been given to do my daily work... :'D
So here come the first two (Wheather today is too bad to take good photos, so I´m afraid todays contribution must wait until tomorrow.):

I´m also kicking it of with a not Minna-work-related contribution, instead belonging to Disney´s "Amphibia":
1: magical (girl) transformation (under a spoiler due to heavy spoilers for Amphibia´s season 2 finale "True Colors")

Since it was a day before Season 3 would start airing, I felt inspired to draw protagonist Anne´s magic form, fan- dubbed "Super-Sayanne".

I didn´t have a single marker fitting her skintone, unfortunately, so I used the closest one for shading and left the rest out. :'(

2: change of season

Young Kitty has just finished making herself a comfy fall-style-bed, when she´s being surprised by winter. (Why young Kitty? Well, I found a really cute panel of her I wanted to use as a reference.)

supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie: