Author Topic: Paranormal Thread  (Read 19494 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Paranormal Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
Wyrm: Kapunda has some truly weird stuff, as do most of the Copper Triangle towns. I used to go to a Celtic music and culture festival up there fairly regularly, and you'd see some quite strange things wandering about the town late at night. The neighbouring town of Burra was equally weird. I think this was partly because the landspirits in the area were powerful, and since a lot of the early settlers there were Cornish miners who were generally respectful of them, the land is still alive despite having been heavily mined. Back in the mid 1800s whole villages came out here to work the copper, and brought their culture with them. It's why the area still has a lot of Cornish-style druids, and hosts a Gorsedd every two years.

Where I used to live in Walhalla in Gippsland also retained a lot of Cornish lore which the goldminers there had kept in their culture. Interestingly, they had adapted their culture to the local landspirits, and the landspirits mostly cooperated. In Cornwall they had mine spirits called Knockers, which would give warning of caveins, gas and, in Walhalla, flooding, to the miners by knocking on the rocks. When you heard a rapping noise you got out, carefully but fast. The local Niols did the same thing, especially in the Long Tunnel Mine and the Little Joe. As back in Cornwall, the miners would speak politely to them, thank them for a warning, and leave behind bits of their lunches, or sometimes a small pasty or applecake made for the purpose. They had a sense of humour - one of the visiting cityfolk who had been loudly sceptical of their existence was much chastened by being lost in a short stretch of straight tunnel for some hours. Elsewhere in Gippsland the Niols ranged from neutral to downright dangerously hostile - some mines had to be abandoned because of them, and there were mines and caves even I wouldn't go into.

In Walhalla also was the ghost of Kitty Kane. She haunted the old hospital, which had been the hotel and brothel back in her day. She also turned up at the new hotel sometimes, or at her own trackside grave. I didn't mind her -I've slept in both of her old rooms, and she never troubled me, but some of the guys were scared of her. She was pretty feisty in death as in life, and if you swore or were dirty and unkempt in her room she would throw things. She didn't mind the miners coming in grubby, but she'd get restless pretty fast if we didn't clean up. The new hotel also had a room which was haunted by a maid who had died there in suspicious circumstances. I would never sleep there, she was one of those smothering ghosts.

Caves in Gippsland were often dangerous. As were pools, especially pools in caves, because of bunyips, water things with attitude and a hunger. Like the lake-dragons of Europe, though, if you could get one talking and avoid being eaten, you might well learn something. Bunyips would try to eat you, but the really dangerous ones were the rivergirls. They also might well eat you, but especially if you were a handsome youth they had other intentions as well. Think packhunting Näkki, but beautiful all over and looking like beautiful girls.

Gippsland also had the Grey Woman, a spirit of mists and snows who inhabited the high mountain tops, walked in the fog and rain, and if you intruded on her territory, or worse, made noise in her cold silences, would touch you. Her touch, if you were lucky, induced permanent sadness. If you weren't lucky, freezing, petrifaction and death. She could turn intruders to stone or into plants. There's a native story about the origin of spider orchids, a weirdly beautiful Australian flower, which I must get around to telling on Crossroads sometime.

The Snowy Mountains also have were-dingoes. And of course Australia has a multitude of human ghosts, but they are a whole other story. One of my uncles was a doctor at the leprosarium near Broome, back in the day, and he had some interesting tales. And being Australia, we have highway ghosts all over.

Aierdome, your Cracow dragon sounds a lot like the Lambton Wyrm from England. There's a ballad about that one which is distinctly creepy, though the commonest variant nowadays is played for laughs. Story was that back in the Middle Ages, young Sir John, the heir of Lambton, went fishing on a Sunday, which wasn't considered proper at the time, because he was supposed to be in church. So he caught this weird eel-like thing in the river. He'd never seen a fish like it, so was carrying it back to the village to ask the priest what it was, when he realised that if he did so he'd be busted for missing church. He chucked it down the village well instead, and forgot about it.

Some years later he went off to the Crusades, and while he was away the Wyrm grew too big for the well, emerged and started eating things, at first small stuff like 'bairns and lambs and calves', then started on the adults. When Sir John came back from the Crusades and realised what had happened he resolved to make amends for his deed and went out to fight the Wyrm, only barely getting out alive. So when he recovered from his attempt he went to the village blacksmith and had razor spikes welded to his armour, then tried again. By this point the Wyrm was huge, the ballad describes it as wrapping itself 'three times round Lambton Hill'. So he walked up to it and let himself be swallowed, and cut the Wyrm apart from the inside. In some variants of the tale he even survived!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »
I have this whole book on folktales and ghost stories but they are actually kind of watered down and non-specific, so I'll just share those I experienced personally first-hand. That is to say, those I was exposed to, not that I actually experienced.

From Québec - the Bonhomme sept-heure, which I can only translate as the "7pm-man", who is this boogey-man who shows up at 7pm exactly to snatch up kids who are still awake. I don't know in what age kids went to bed at 7 pm but it is certainly not mine and as such I was terrified of this character. Almost as much as aliens.

I even remember the book from which the story was told.

The dude in the book was super creepy, drawing closer and closer with every pages. Terrifying. He also had like... 7 watches, all probably pointing at "child-stealing time".

Me and my sister also used to assume that there was a devil and a witch and maniac in the wood/marsh behind our house, though that might have been a misunderstanding of the uh... ungenerous... epiteths my grandmother had for our nearby neighbours.

In Nunavut it was believed by a lot of youngsters that whistling under northern lights would lead the northern lights to come down and cut your head off. This led to a lot of dares surrounding whistling at nights under northern lights. No explanations as to why sluggish bands of astral light have anything against whistling, so methink it was something told to have people stop whistling loudly at night.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Vafhudr, I wonder if the whistling thing had any connection to one belief I encountered out in the country in both Canada and Northern North America, that whistling at night will call spirits. You find it in the north of England too. In the Snowies it will attract one of the dangerous landspirits. Wonder if there is any connection to the custom of not whistling on ships unless you actively want to call up a wind?

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 11:34:40 PM »
The version of the Lambton Wyrm story that I know says the creature tried to constrict Sir John to death, and sliced itself to bits on his spiky armour. But there are always dozens of versions of those kinds of stories.

The "7pm-Man" reminds me a bit of the "40 Foot [Indigenous Person]" that supposedly haunted my primary school's oval (playing field) at night. If you ventured onto the oval after dark he'd carry you away, which is alleged to have happened to Salvatore's (one of my brother's classmates) little brother at some point (I'm not entirely sure whether Salvatore even had a little brother, but that's inane primary school rumour mill for you).

One of my favourite Australian ghost stories is less about the actual ghost and more about the reaction to it. This is an extract from The Ghost Guide to Australia by Richard Davis (someone has dumped a whole section of it on their website without attribution, so I've copied and pasted it rather than give them a link)

GHOST MANIA

If you had walked down Gilchrist Avenue in the Brisbane suburb of Herston any night during a hot week in November 1965 you might have thought you had stumbled upon a political revolution or pagan religious ceremony. The street would have been jammed with cars, including a dozen police vehicles.

Victoria Park on the southern side of the street, the adjacent playing fields and the golf course opposite would have been filled with up to 5000 people milling about. You would have seen the whole spectacle lit by thousands of torches, car headlights, television lights and the hell-fire glow of burning oil, spread over the small ornamental lake in the park. This was not, however, a revolution or a religious rite- it was Brisbane's reaction to a reported sighting of the Ghost of Victoria Park.

On the previous Saturday evening two school boys walking through the pedestrian underpass beneath the railway lines that run through the park claimed that a ghost had come out of the stone wall of the underpass and chased them. They described it as ‘a misty, bluish-white thing’ that looked like a human torso with no head, no arms and no legs below the knee.

One of the boys had to be treated for shock at nearby Royal Brisbane Hospital. All this was reported in the next morning’s newspaper and Brisbane was instantly plunged into the grip of ghost mania.

Every night thereafter for more than a week, huge crowds gathered in the park and surrounding area in the hope of catching a glimpse of, the ghost. There were families with babies and wide-eyed children in pyjamas; men dressed in singlets, shorts and thongs; men in dinner jackets; women in towelling mu-mus and women in fashionable cocktail dresses. There were young girls in short shorts and youths with long hair and leather jackets. Picnic hampers, thermos flasks and bottled beer were brought along. Meat pie and ice-cream vendors did a roaring trade.

And how did they all behave? Well, the majority treated the whole thing as a family outing and, apart from wandering too close to the railway tracks, behaved themselves tolerably well. But at around ten each night when the families had gone home (disappointed at not having seen the ghost), the gangs of youths took over. Drunken brawls were nightly events. Police cars were stoned.

Trains were belted with rocks, smashing carriage windows and showering terrified passengers with glass. Trees and fences were destroyed. Fires were lit wherever fuel could be uprooted or torn down. One maniac brought a flame thrower (‘to roast the ghost’, he said) and others threw crackers and let off marine flares. Until motor oil was poured over it and set alight the lake was used as a dunking pond. Police reinforcements were brought in and many of the thrill seekers woke up next morning in jail.

Grandparents tut-tutted but admitted the scenes were reminiscent of 1903 when the ghost appeared the first time. Parents did the same but added that the behaviour had not been nearly so bad in 1922 and 1932 when they turned out for the ghost’s second and third appearances.

‘This ghost does seem to bring out the worst in people,’ a City Council spokesman said. ‘Thank goodness it doesn’t turn on a really terrifying show and panic the crowds. People would die in the rush to escape.’ As it was, dozens suffered minor injuries, treated at a field station by St John’s Ambulance volunteers.

And what of the ghost? Was there one? Is there one? Well, observers in 1903 described it as looking like a three-metre tall nun in a grey habit. In 1922 and 1932 it was described simply as ‘a shimmering grey form’. If we accept the school boys’ description in 1965 and assume it is the same spectre, then it seems she, he or it has lost some bits between 1903 and 1965.

Two theories were put forward in 1965 to identify the spectre. One was that it was the ghost of a vagrant named Walter Hall who had been beaten to death with a bottle and his body dumped in the lake in 1952. The other suggested it was a Swede, Karl David Dinass, who was a suspect in a brutal murder case in 1960 and who committed suicide by throwing himself in front of a train near the underpass. Neither theory takes into account the earlier sightings of the ghost.

All has been quiet in Victoria Park for the past thirty-plus years.

Perhaps major renovations to the underpass in 1984, or the more recent Motorway Bypass, have scared the ghost away or maybe it’s just biding its time and getting ready to make another appearance.

I'll also have to track down some info on Monte Christo, which is reputed to be Australia's most haunted house and is overall rather nasty.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:42:18 PM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 02:58:39 AM »
Vafhudr, I wonder if the whistling thing had any connection to one belief I encountered out in the country in both Canada and Northern North America, that whistling at night will call spirits. You find it in the north of England too. In the Snowies it will attract one of the dangerous landspirits. Wonder if there is any connection to the custom of not whistling on ships unless you actively want to call up a wind?

I know that according to one belief a Finnish or a Sami witch on board guarantees the ship good sailing weather, as both can control wind by either whistling or scratching the mast of the ship. I'm guessing one would have to know how you're supposed to whistle correctly to have the right effect.

Since monsters were mentioned, how about Ajattara: a Finnish forest-monster that's either a female ghost-like creature or half a snake and half a woman. Like the name suggests (ajattaa = to drive someone in front of you) she loves to chase people. Her goal is to eat you but she thinks the chase is the best part, so she will often spook you into running and then just... keep reminding you you're not safe until you can't run any longer. There's ways to escape her if you can find your way out of the forest before she catches you but it's very difficult because she tries to get you to run off the path and get lost in the forest as the first step. Not running away from her won't do you any good, she'll kill you just the same but will feel very disappointed for not getting to have her fun.

Fauna: whoa that first one! I assume it's hinted that the child was hers? Iceland has similar ghosts - the útburður. Over here getting pregnant out of wedlock was apparently punishable by death at one point in history (if you visit Þingvellir keep an eye on the right side of the path, the drowning pool for executing women is there)(don't throw coins in that one, trust me that nothing in that pond will give you anything you wish for and besides the coins pollute the water) regardless of how the pregnancy had begun, so women would often try to conceal such illegal pregnancies, give birth in secret and leave the child to die. Sometimes these babies turned into vengeful ghosts to seek out their killer and either drive her insane or kill her... and some wouldn't even stop there but would keep on following family members for generations to come until the whole familyline would die out. You can tell an útburður by the fact that when it's crawling it only uses the leg and arm on one side.

Icelandic ghosts aren't spirits, they're zombie-like walking corpses. Some of them are harmless like the brennivín ghost, some harass people for their own amusement, some want revenge, some are generally malicious and will attack anyone who comes across their path, some haunt whole families just like the útburður.

The saddest and creepiest ghosts are the type that are "man-made", meaning that a witch who really hates someone can create such a ghost and send it to haunt their family in the aforementioned manner until the family dies out. To make one he has to either find a corpse that hasn't been blessed or to murder someone, often in a prolonged way that makes the victim realize they're about to die (drowning seems to be a theme), and then capture their soul into the corpse and make it walk again. This ghost will then do the witch's bidding but it always returns once a task is done, and if the witch doesn't immediately give it a new task it will kill him in revenge.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
<3 This thread <3
Seriously, I love collecting spooky stories and folklore so much and this is a treasure to read! (Tries to memories all the spookies for future ghost story tellings)

Róisín - There were a lot of miners in my father's side of the family, and it's interesting to see how similar stories to those I was told are also present in Australia :3 Not quite the same of course (I don't think they were ever called knockers in Wales, and they were more likely to tell the location of good seams with their knocking then anything else), but close enough.

Anyhoo, some Welsh thingamagymmies

In my home growing up we had a story about a witch named "Gwen Goch" (Red Gwen). She lived in a cave on the mountain, and on misty nights she would come down and abduct children and livestock. I don't know how long this went on for, but her captives were never seen again. The villagers were suitably terrified, and it was obvious that nobody there was powerful enough to stop her, so they asked for help from a wizard - Dafydd Ddu Huraddug. He went up to the cave in the mountain....... and then they both disappeared? Neither Gwen nor Dafydd were ever seen nor heard of again and nobody knows what happened. I've been to the cave and can confirm that it is no longer inhabited however.

Our new home is wilder and the stories reflect this:
Gwyn ap Nydd rides in Snowdonia with his hunting dogs, the "cŵn annwn" (annwn is the Welsh underworld). To hear his horn, or to see him and the pack is a sign of disaster to come, and those who hear it are filled with dread, and can't help but weep. There's definitely some wild hunt vibe here, and in some versions the cŵn annwn are joined by various tylwyth (fairies), but I think they keep separate for the most part.

The tylwyth tea (fair folk) are prominent in a lot of our stories. They are neither good or bad, but human lives don't mean an awful lot to them except for amusement. We have changelings (bychan benthyg/crimbils), dances in the barrows of old dead kings, glamour and trickery aplenty, and blessings and curses depending on how you behave. We name them kindly, and refer to them as "Tylwyth teg"(Fair beings), "Bendith y mammau" (Mother's blessing), and Gwyllon (Wild ones). Ellyllon kinda overlaps, but it has a more "demon" vibe to it, and you really don't want them to hear them. Tylwyth love dancing, and sometimes humans are pulled into their revelry to disappear. They will dance to the point of exhaustion and beyond, although in one book I read it said that if a friend stands with one food within the fairy ring and the other outsid,e and manages to grab their friend when they appear a year and a day later the dancer can be saved.

Some villages (including mine) have sin-eater's stones. The idea was that placing a freshly baked loaf of bread and letting it cool on top of a coffin would make the decease's sins be absorbed into the bread. If someone were to eat this bread they would then absorb the sins and the original dead person could go to heaven without a problem. This task usually fell on beggars, and the bread in our village was left on the stone for it to be picked up by said beggar after any funeral.

Finally (I could go on for ages, but maybe this is quite enough) - cannwyll corff.
This one is common all over Wales, and has apparently been seen by some older members of my family to boot. The myth has it that when a person is about to die a light will leave their body while they are asleep. This light will then leave the house and follow the path the person's body will take for their funeral procession. As it nears the graveyard, the shadows of people will grow around it, before it arrives at its grave and stops. It disappears with the light of day, but the person shall then surely die soon after. My great grandmother worked as a maid and apparently saw this once
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Róisín

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »
Gwenno, the corpse-candle tale turns up in Cornwall and also in the Isle of Man. Also, interestingly, in the tales of the Arianín exiles. Couple of hundred years ago, whole villages of Welsh miners moved to Argentina to mine silver, same deal as the copper miners from Cornwall who came here to SA. When Argentina was chucking out foreign settlers back in the 1960s a lot of the old mining families wound up in Australia, along with their tales, beliefs and beautifully archaic language. One of them is a harp maker now in country NSW. They had stories about the lake fey and the water-horses, also a tale very like the English 'Tam Lin', and several variants of the Wild Hunt.

They also had a tale about King Arthur and his Knights sleeping under a mountain. What else - oh yeah, the Carmarthen Oak story, though they didn't call it that, but still attributed the saving of the town to Merlin. They had the story of the two dragons fighting underground, also a tale of Merlin.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »
Fauna: whoa that first one! I assume it's hinted that the child was hers? Iceland has similar ghosts - the útburður. Over here getting pregnant out of wedlock was apparently punishable by death at one point in history (if you visit Þingvellir keep an eye on the right side of the path, the drowning pool for executing women is there)(don't throw coins in that one, trust me that nothing in that pond will give you anything you wish for and besides the coins pollute the water) regardless of how the pregnancy had begun, so women would often try to conceal such illegal pregnancies, give birth in secret and leave the child to die. Sometimes these babies turned into vengeful ghosts to seek out their killer and either drive her insane or kill her... and some wouldn't even stop there but would keep on following family members for generations to come until the whole familyline would die out. You can tell an útburður by the fact that when it's crawling it only uses the leg and arm on one side.

Yep... mylingar had relatively little interest on wrecking vengeance on people who wasn't its murderer. Well, except for special cases where it had been let down by several adults who looked the other way and allowed for the murder to happen. There's a tale from the 1700's, when a nasty famine ravaged Sweden for several years in a row. I don't know if this case was carried out by a group with some pagan roots or if they turned to the devil after God had failed them, but either way, they murdered an orphan boy by burying him alive, as a sacrifice they hoped would turn things around. I doubt it was worth it, because the unfortunate child haunted the area of his grave as well as the entire village who had agreed to his murder, even people who hadn't been involved in his sad end... they had to dig him up eventually, and give him a proper burial.

There's some daaaaark stuff in this branch of history... I'm SO glad I wasn't born in the middle ages! :-\ I'm not sure if Swedish women were ever executed for the same 'crime', but it wouldn't surprise me if they were...

Icelandic ghosts aren't spirits, they're zombie-like walking corpses. Some of them are harmless like the brennivín ghost, some harass people for their own amusement, some want revenge, some are generally malicious and will attack anyone who comes across their path, some haunt whole families just like the útburður.
Oh, we have the zombies, too! :D But they were usually special cases... they're called Draugar here as well, quite similar to the ones you have over on Iceland.. they weren't necessarily the most dangerous of the undead (unless you had given them a reason to seek vengeance upon you, of course), though they certainly had potential to be rather unpleasant... usually they were the corpses of dead sailors who washed up on the shore. They could not find rest, because they had to be buried in a hallowed graveyard but couldn't travel very far on their own. So, they'd lay in ambush for the unfortunate living who'd accidentally come a bit to close, and give them a biiiiiig, snuggly zombie bear hug. They were indestructible by this point, and would not let go until the living person dragged their rotting, stinking and maggot-infested corpse to a proper graveyard... quite gross.

I'm literally laughing at the fact that you have a ghost of brännvin! xD I mean... it makes perfect sense that there would be one... it's just such a non-Swedish thing. I love it!

The saddest and creepiest ghosts are the type that are "man-made", meaning that a witch who really hates someone can create such a ghost and send it to haunt their family in the aforementioned manner until the family dies out. To make one he has to either find a corpse that hasn't been blessed or to murder someone, often in a prolonged way that makes the victim realize they're about to die (drowning seems to be a theme), and then capture their soul into the corpse and make it walk again. This ghost will then do the witch's bidding but it always returns once a task is done, and if the witch doesn't immediately give it a new task it will kill him in revenge.

Oooookay, that is just plain nasty. Why don't you guys have more internationally famous horror movies? I love the fact that the rest of the world see you as sort of this viking hippie sheep horsey country, and you're actually sitting on this enormous horror movie gold mine :l

We do have some similar tales, but the victims were typically animals, church grims more often than not.. there's a particularly nasty tale about a demonic pig who guarded the grave yard at night... you'd do best to not enter the area after sundown, because its back bristles were great, big razor blades. If it didn't just crush you and (warning for graphic text here) tear up your intestines with its iron tusks, it would run between your legs and slice your genitals open, then pin you down until you bled out... except if you were its creator. Then it would open a portal to Hell and drag you down directly... and incidentally, that was actually one of the very few ways such a beast could be banished, because neither it nor its creator would ever return from the pits of Hell.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:32:42 PM by Fauna »

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
This one's really old fashioned but if someone knocks on your door after dark, count how many times they do, anything less or more than three means whatever's knocking is not a human. Real people would even stop at a window first and say something along the lines of "God bless you" before knocking on the door to further assure the people of the house that opening the door was ok.

Apparently, there's proof that I'm not human and I didn't even know the Icelanders were onto me. :o I tend to knock two times.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything. I think most American superstitions are known in other parts of the world anyway?
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »

I think you may very well be right.

Some google research has revealed to me that some groups of Inuits believe that the Northern Lights are departed spirits rising to the sky. To whistle, or even wave at them, would call the attention of the spirit and they would drag you along with them to the afterlife. You could cancel it by clapping your hands. So this might be a deviation on this fundamental myth.

@ PurpleWyrm

40Foot(Indigenous Person)? That is... awfully specific. He didn't haunt any specific place, though. He would just wander around during winter, bag on his back, looking shifty.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
Aw yeah, how could I forget the Old Town stories. The Old Town in Stockholm, Sweden, dates back to around the 400 A.D. or so, with plenty of political uprisings, mass executions, warfare and deadly games of politics, so we've had some time to collect stories.

When King Christian of Denmark invaded Sweden, he had all of the old kings allies executed against the agreement, family, friends and all. About 80-90 people were executed. It is said that if it rains on the 8-9:th of November, one can still see headless ghosts wander the streets of Stockholm.

During the reign of the black Plague in Europe, a great number of dead were transported by horse and carriage to be buried in mass graves. In Rackarbacken, Södermalm, there's apparently such a carriage that still travel the roads on early mornings, its bells, wheels and the sound of horse hooves heralding a black wagon full of plague-dead. Many of these raves are gone now, having been removed to make way for buildings, but some people say that there are spots all over the city where you might see the ghosts of the buried, waiting for a priest to come and hallow the ground, wailing and bemoaning their early deaths.. (... Oooor just chilling out and sunbathing in the grass, the sources are admittedly a bit diverse on the subject of what they're actually doing...)

Back in the middle ages, Stockholm, like most European cities, was a bit of a disgusting sludge-hole, filled with rats, disease, and the excrement of both people and animals. There was so much filth, the current street level is actually three meters higher than the original one! This attracted a major amount of insects, which were said to actually have grown so large in numbers, that they darkened the skies over the entire town when they swarmed. If you go down to the excavation sites, to the original street levels, rumor is that you can still hear the buzzing of insects in certain places, even though there should be none there.

Stockholm have historically been surrounded by a number of city walls, built and then taken down as the town grew, or as they were destroyed in the tides of war. Back in those days, people believed in the presence of the vättar, land spirits of sort. Some of the builders were making offerings to the vättar, claiming they helped them build the wall, but another one laughed at them. He said there was no such thing as vättar, and even if there was, they sure as hell weren't building the wall. He'd prove it by sleeping on the unfinished wall one night, and keeping an eye out for them; the plan was that the next morning, he would tell everyone that they didn't show up. Unfortunately, when his co-workers showed up the next morning, the wall was a meter higher, and his arm was poking out of the bricks. The vättar had indeed appeared to build the wall, and they had built it right on top of the arrogant brick worker, now crushed to mush and dead as could be.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
I love the fact that the rest of the world see you as sort of this viking hippie sheep horsey country, and you're actually sitting on this enormous horror movie gold mine :l

Super un-funny fact: Icelandic horror tradition can basically be summed up to "if you leave the house something's going to kill you and even if you're inside something might be staring at you through the window".

There actually are some Icelandic horror movies, but the main problem is getting a funding for one. Wanting to make a horror movie is not going to give you much by financial means! The first horror movie made in Iceland was actually the result of the creators pretending they were going to make an artsy movie based on a novel called Tilbury by Þórarinn Eldjárn. That they certainly did, only the topic of the movie was a creature called a tilberi and they added plenty of stuff the original story did not have. The movie's been shown on the national television exactly one time and many people who saw it have described it as one of the most disturbing pieces of Icelandic cinematography (I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT)(I MUST FIND IT).

The name is a pun on the word tilberi; they're rare magical creatures that can only be created by a woman. It's basically a rib bone wrapped in wool and must be fed its owner's blood from a cut in her thigh: in return it goes around stealing milk (another, similar but larger creature called snakkur steals wool but otherwise is the same) for its owner, drinking it straight from the animals and then throwing it up once it gets back home. The owner will become wealthy thanks to the help, but will eventually die if she doesn't manage to destroy her tilberi, it'll drink all her blood.

Snippets of the movie were used in the music video Tenderloin by Tilbury, so here's at least a little tastie of what the movie looks like. Nothing graphic, but there's one very suggestive scene at the end.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:23:01 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
The movie's been shown on the national television exactly one time and many people who saw it have described it as one of the most disturbing pieces of Icelandic cinematography (I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT)(I MUST FIND IT).

Is that a high or low bar?

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
Super un-funny fact: Icelandic horror tradition can basically be summed up to "if you leave the house something's going to kill you and even if you're inside something might be staring at you through the window".

Hm. That is.. actually sort of a healthy approach, I suppose, when you live in a place and age where magma, volcano smog, snow storms, rain storms, sand storms, lightning, famine, plague, avalanches, glacier floods, polar bears and storm winds can very well try to kill you in a single days worth if you're unlucky... *shrug* Iceland may be beautiful, but damn, nature, u scary.

Róisín

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »
I know America, like Australia, has a lot of highway ghosts, and some of the native monsters like wendigo are still about.