Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 41927 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »
Ah, I see. [ETA: page topper: replying to Róisín and Sc0ut.]

I'm certified organic, and can only use materials the certifying agency would approve. We can't use treated wood in the fields, or anywhere in buildings where it might contact the crops (the treated ground-contact support posts in my packing shed are sheathed in approvable metal.) I don't know if there's a position on foam planting boxes, but I expect it would depend on the type of foam; and yes if they were approved and went out in the fields getting them back out of there while still intact would be an issue.

In any case, I usually plant a thousand or so row feet of garlic, so that technique would require a huge amount of boxes and of potting soil; too expensive in my situation. I do grow some things in pots in small quantities, mostly so I can keep them in and/or move them in and out of the greenhouse -- ginger, a few of the tomatoes, some early and late greens plantings, sometimes even a couple of big pots of carrots, though not the main carrot crops. The pots are plastic, but heavy duty long term use plastic; overly damaged ones are at least theoretically recyclable.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:29:16 PM by thorny »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
Is anyone good with cyclamens?  I bought a little $5 plant (the kind they sell by the thousands at chain stores) a few weeks ago to have at my desk at work.  But for the past two Mondays, I've come back after the weekend to find the poor little cyclamen flattened and nearly dead.  I'm not sure if it's the lack of water over the weekend or the lack of light.  (There's a big wall of windows about 4 rows from where I sit but the lights are off most of the weekend because they're run by motion detector, so it's kind of dim all weekend.) 

I was able to revive it last Monday with careful watering but a lot of the tiny budding flowers and leaves died off.  Today it's still alive but looks pretty wretched (which is how I feel here too, but that's another story). 

It's possible this could be the seasonal die-off the link above mentions; after all, these chain stores force their plants into bloom, so it might just be wiped out.

I'm probably taking this poor suffering thing home to my balcony, but I'd like to take better care of any future potted flowering plants at my desk.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2018, 11:50:40 PM »
Sunflower, the info on that site is useful but not complete. If you have one of the cool-temperate cyclamens, an office would be too stuffy, dark and hot for it. Cyclamens may look like orchids, but they are actually more closely related to primroses. Their flowering habits are more like those of snowdrops or daffodils, I've seen them coming up through the snow in the Greek mountains, or here in the Mount Lofty Botanical Gardens. In your climate as in mine they would be summer-dormant, the leaves die back and the tuber rests until Autumn. At home you could try sitting it out on your balcony and maybe bringing it inside if, say, you wanted the flowers as table decoration for a dinner party, then putting it back out in the cool night. They like bright indirect light (in the wild they grow among rocks or on a forest floor). Not a good windowsill plant for sun-facing windows -the poor things cook. Water under the leaves rather than from above, to avoid fungal diseases, and don't leave them in standing water or the roots will rot.

For your desk, have you considered a bromeliad such as Queen's Tears, Billbergia nutans, which is pretty, hardy, and doesn't mind being indoors? Or a Neoregelia bromeliad, or the very delicate epiphytic Mistletoe Cactus, Rhipsalis baccifera, which comes with the bonus of tiny edible fruit? Lots of plants, especially tropical epiphytes or most kinds of ferns, will be happier in an office than will a cyclamen.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
Trifolium Repens
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
A place for Minnions to regale the world with tales of the Trifolium Repens--the gardening enthusiasts will love us! (And Mikkel will be proud of us.)
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Trifolium Repens
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:09 PM »
He-hee. Remind me to go find the discussion of the likely identification of the flower Emil & Lalli encountered in the abandoned store back in chap 15. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »
Love the stuff! Clover honey makes most excellent mead. I have planted some for my bees. Plus it is pretty, medicinal and improves the soil. But should we be in the gardening thread? Ask the mods?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:33:14 PM by Róisín »

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
Love the stuff! Red clover honey makes most excellent mead. I have planted some for my bees. Plus it is pretty, medicinal and improves the soil. But should we be in the gardening thread? Ask the mods?

Ah--brilliant! When I made this, I was thinking more along the lines of Mikkel's nonsense, which is why I put this in the general discussions board (well, and also I don't know where it belongs, because I'm very new to the forum--it only finally let me in today). But I also didn't realize Trifolium Repens was a real thing--so by all means, perhaps we should move somewhere else and talk about it seriously!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:38:14 PM by Nellie McEnt »
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
Done.  Now -
Why would the gardeners of Y90 Iceland be so inspired by rumours of clover anyway?  Clover is a great forage crop for livestock, but does this not grow in Iceland? 
Also, it seems peculiar to focus on 'troll remains' when *ahem* other remains are so much more abundant?  Perhaps it is the association of sjødraug with plants that sparked it.

The Icelnadic gardeners are thrilled to hear that trifolium repens is rampant, but are there tales of it being too rampant?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:39:48 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »
Excellent cover crop.

Also does make an enthusiastic weed --

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm encouraging it to become a cover crop un my garden patch- just by refraining from weeding it.

Róisín

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
And if too much grows you can always dig it in as green manure.

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
Mostly to throny, regarding organic certification, does that exclude heat theated wood? Only water (steam) and heat applied and quite durable material formed.
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

thorny

« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
I don't see why wood treated only with heat wouldn't be certifiable; though in general, always check everything with the particular certification agency, first.

Most wood called "treated wood" has been treated with chemicals. The chemicals they use now aren't supposed to be as hazardous as the ones they used to use; but you're still not supposed to use the stuff in certified fields, or in buildings if there could be direct contact either with the crop or with soil that crops are grown in. (I've got treated wood posts holding up my packing shed, but they're sheathed where they come through the area where produce might otherwise possibly touch them.)

Róisín

« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2018, 07:01:21 AM »
Yeah, some of the stuff they use here to treat vineyard posts is really unpleasant. There are better ways to keep termites at bay. Including using the woods they don't like to eat, or even some of the heavy non-leaching plastics. The pioneers here used to sheath the base of wooden posts in copper, as for a ship's hull. Expensive but also helps prevent rot, discourages snails, and prevents or reduces some of the fungal diseases that attack grapes. There are a lot of vineyards in my area, and I prefer those chemicals do not get into the local water.

Don't know how you go with water with your crops, but with many plants, grapes and garlic included, overwatering does more harm than good. I try to group my plants at least roughly by water requirements, both to save water and to avoid rotting posts in areas that don't need to be heavily watered.

Róisín

« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11:29 AM »
££>~{}~£+¥¥<\]1?'climate disruption! Last night I went out in the evening to bring in the washing, and found a young ringtailed possum on my back porch. Old enough not to need its mother's milk anymore, young enough that it should still have been with its mum to learn how to hunt and forage (they eat a mix of leaves, flowers, fruit, insects, seed heads of grasses, birds eggs, nectar, tree seeds and whatever else they can find, depending on the local environment and time of year). This one was clearly terrified as well as physically distressed. It was trying to break into the container of poultry food (a mix of oats, barley, millet, lentils, peas, wheat and sunflower seeds).

Once I realised its mum was nowhere in sight and it looked very skinny, I put down a scoop of the poultry food for it, along with a bowl of water and a few slices of apple. This afternoon I was out in the garden trying to salvage what I can of the plum crop, which is falling off the trees from heat stress as the apples were doing a few days ago. And there it was, under the plum tree after the fallen fruit, in broad daylight. They are generally a nocturnal animal. At least this time it knew not to be scared of me.

We do have local wildlife carers, but they are already swamped with orphans, and this little guy does seem to be managing on his own with a little help. I don't care to hand-tame the animals who share my place, they have their own lives and don't need to be made dependent on humans. But I figure if a little discreet help will let him survive I'll give it. I think I have figured out where he is sleeping, and he should be safe there. I'll be very, very glad of cooler weather.

This is shaping up to be a tough year in the garden for me and the wildlife both.