Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424733 times)

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8880 on: August 02, 2015, 12:20:12 AM »
RTR: That reminds me of my father... One day he took some blood and didn't eat anything afterwards and decided to go home by bus (which involved a considerable amount of walking). He almost fainted on the bus stop. I think he called for someone to pick him over.
So, moral of the story, if you had your blood taken, don't try to be a hero and do everything normally as if nothing happened. ;)
For real. Thankfully it was only like 68 degrees (I had to walk to work) because if it had been Texas July weather I would have definitely collapsed, probably had heat exhaustion, possibly heat stroke, and potentially died. :/ So DON'T PUSH YOURSELF IF YOU'RE LOW ON BLOOD. EVER. PERIOD.
I feel much better today though! Not quite at 100%, but maybe... 92%?
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #8881 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »
my dream is to one summer go to this festival with someone who wants to dance with me.
*Sighs* Always the same lack of dancers... I was internally saying "What ? Whaaaaaaat ?" when I discovered there had been a dance near to my traditional may festival. Nobody told me. Now I more or less promised a mazurka, but it's an other story.
Anyway it seems to have been a good festival for you :)

Curry I don't have the reference but you look fabulous ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #8882 on: August 02, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »
Hurrah for Helsinki!  ;D The train from  the airport was only 5€, and it was just 15 min from station to flat across from the botanical gardens.  The flat is an Extreme Grandma Flat; we love it!  We also loved a good nights sleep, and a lazy morning.

Now off to shop for luggage losses. :-/
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Mélusine

« Reply #8883 on: August 02, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »
Weeks are strange and not the same. Last one was simple and amazing, this one is complicated and a little depressing (Says the girl who posts, sitting on the floor on the corridor because the three others are taking a nap on the room and the main room. Yes, I had an other option : going to the swimming pool, but 1. it's a swimming pool and 2. we have 30°C and no shadow on it so no.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #8884 on: August 02, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »
Sorry: Here's the text.
“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.” - Ira Glass

Also side note: if any of y'all ever need blood work done, take the whole day off. Just do it. I tried working after they took 20 (!) vials of blood, and no. Don't even try. I had to clock out after two hours and sleep for four. I felt like something had chewed me up and spat me out again. Learn from my mistakes. Don't go into work after a blood test. Drink water, eat sugars, and take a nap instead.
*flops over*

i guesss

also good luck for you on the blood taking thing, last time i got a blood test my i was so terrified my veins contracted or something and they had to prick me three times

and 20 vials of blood? 20?! how are you still alive

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8885 on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
and 20 vials of blood? 20?! how are you still alive

There are reasons I call them vampires. :P
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8886 on: August 02, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
All this talk about blood reminds me that I need to figure out my blood type at some point. I've been meaning to for a decade now, but I just don't know how to go about it. I guess it's important to know? Like if you befriend a Japanese person or need a blood transfusion etc.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8887 on: August 02, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
All this talk about blood reminds me that I need to figure out my blood type at some point. I've been meaning to for a decade now, but I just don't know how to go about it. I guess it's important to know? Like if you befriend a Japanese person or need a blood transfusion etc.

A few years ago I used to have a container of chemicals used to test blood type. One day I had a bloody nose and decided to save the blood to do a test on the blood later. What ended up happening was me leaving a container of blood in the fridge and forgetting about it for months until my mother found it behind the milk one day and freaked out.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8888 on: August 02, 2015, 02:02:22 PM »
catching up:
- Viola your dress looks amazing!! also yes i am glad striped stockings remind you of me
- curry i hope u have fun at the con!!
- rtr: what the heck. 20 vials. i remember taking some tests and i wasn't looking at how much blood they were taking, until i stood up nd saw 9 vials lying at the table. and i thought that was bad. i hope you'll be allright!

- on writing/drawing and stuff
I used to be really active on this norwegian writing website for kids. that was actually the first internet community i got rly involved in and half my irl friend circle is people from there, or rooted to that page somehow. it was amazing. i used to write so much, but now... idk. ssss fandom has slowly brought me back to it, but i wish i still wrote a lot of poems like i used to... i too really wanted to become a writer when i was super young. like ten years old or something. i'd start a new 'book' every week that I'd abandon after a chapter.

You could be the one who expands the English Wikipedia page with information on Brněnský orloj (which actually has a connection to Sweden) ... ;)
that would be assuming i spent my weekend 'exploring' brno and not hanging out with my friend rewatching gravity falls
(i did end up taking some photos at the festival, but i already knew they aren't interesting, hence me saying I didn't think I'd take any)
i do remember when they made that clock, though. or more exactly i remember every single person in brno complaining and/or joking about it

I'm currently sitting on a bus back to prague. this was my last visit to brno for the summer. I also miss my friend a lot already, and im still sort of really sad about summer vacation ending soon. we had a fun trip down memory lane today at least, and it's always fun to realize how incredibly bad I've been at social cues and norms all my life! there have been so many times people have been all "that was such a hilarious comeback! I would never be brave enough to say that!" and I've always been "what? i was just being honest??"
examples include:

"-and then... why aren't you laughing?"
"I just don't find shoving vietnamese people into trashcans funny."

*dude who was mean to me all week asking to add me on facebook*
"No, I'm just adding actual friends and people I like, you know?"

and then we remembranced me shovering skittles all over a train wagon, or when we walked to Hell and I claimed to live in a pinecone, or how every Patrik we ever meet is a terrible person......
sighs having an irl close friend you have the opportunity to hang out with more often than twice a year must be amazing
you'll know where to find me.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8889 on: August 02, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »

Also if you donate blood, I think. The test is pretty easy. We got it done in school if we wanted to and had parental permission. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #8890 on: August 02, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
I also figured out my blood type in school, but not by testing, instead with these crosstabulations where I put all my grandparents' and parents' blood types in and there was only one possibility for mine.

My strange illness has shown a new side yesterday: the fever and body ache are gone for real, but so is my voice!  ??? I've been coughing a lot in the past days, and now I can't talk at all. Which I find a bit scary and very annoying, especially because I'm visiting family and can't really take part in conversations.  >:(

I want my voice back...  :-X  :-X  :-X
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Mélusine

« Reply #8891 on: August 02, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
Also if you donate blood, I think. The test is pretty easy. We got it done in school if we wanted to and had parental permission. :D
Yes, and I suppose it's the same in every country. (It's been a while I hadn't donate...)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8892 on: August 02, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
THERE IS SNOW

ON THE GROUND

REAL SNOW

SNOW SNOW

I BARELY DROP BY ANYMORE SO IM NOT CAUGHT UP ON NEWS AT ALL BUT I THOUGHT I SHOULD JUST REPORT IN THAT THERE IS SNOW AT MY HOUSE AND THE ROADS ARE CLOSED AND I HAVE A PRESENTATION TODAY IN THE CITY BUT THERE IS SNOW INSTEAD. LIKE. A WHOLE FOUR INCHES AAAAAAAAA
I MAY POST PICTURES LATER BUT I HAVE A PRESSING QUESTION.
People who get snow a lot:
WHAT DO I DO WITH THE SNOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF THIS OPPORTUNITY ?? Is there a snow checklist I should do?? 

Disappointing edit: like, 2-3 inches. I got too excited without my glasses on. <_<
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:41:04 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8893 on: August 02, 2015, 05:36:57 PM »
WHAT DO I DO WITH THE SNOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF THIS OPPORTUNITY ?? Is there a snow checklist I should do??
MAKE A SNOW UNICORN
AND WALK SNOW LABYRINTHS
snow angels!!!
snowball fight!!! or a lantern if you don't have anyone to fight
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:39:41 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8894 on: August 02, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »
People who get snow a lot:
WHAT DO I DO WITH THE SNOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF THIS OPPORTUNITY ?? Is there a snow checklist I should do??  [/size][/color]

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I have no idea. Uh, do you have skis?