Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424805 times)

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15840 on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:17 AM »
I'm looking forward to that match. The Italians played well against spain and you saw that these dudes have been working as a team for quite a bit! I do not care about the winner but I want the match to be exciting.
I actually have fundamental philosophical problems with Italy-Germany because I never know who to support (the horrors of a multinational family...). Still, it promises to be an exciting match.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15841 on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
I never know who to support when it comes to football. :Va So for each individual match I end up just randomly picking a side. ( "Oh, I have lots of friends in Germany, so I guess I'll support them...")

Iiiin other news, I've been told not to go outside without my Bear Whistle. Looks like we're on bear watch AGAIN...
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15842 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Iiiin other news, I've been told not to go outside without my Bear Whistle. Looks like we're on bear watch AGAIN...

So many bears O.o what type of bears live in your area ?

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #15843 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
So many bears O.o what type of bears live in your area ?

It's just black bears, here. At least, as far as I've heard.

There are usually some hanging around in the summer anyway, but because of the recent wildfire, there have been more of them turning up in places that they would normally stay away from. (Highways, my workplace, areas close to the city in general...) Oh joy.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15844 on: June 29, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »

There are usually some hanging around in the summer anyway, but because of the recent wildfire, there have been more of them turning up in places that they would normally stay away from. (Highways, my workplace, areas close to the city in general...) Oh joy.
*Pats pats Yuu*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15845 on: June 29, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »

Oh geez...I can't decide whether I'm more concerned that you have to carry a bear whistle...or amused that this is common enough that you own a bear whistle already.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15846 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »

Not that black bears can't be dangerous especially if they have cubs around, but I was a tad worried you'd be dealing with something more dangerous like some types of brown bears such as grizzly's. I recently watched a documentary called "Grizzly Man" about the unfortunate Timothy Treadwell incident,  and I suppose it's made me a little paranoid on the subject of bears. Then again I doubt you're actually going out into the wilderness trying to live among the bears . . still, have you considered carrying bear mace as well just in case ?

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #15847 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Oh geez...I can't decide whether I'm more concerned that you have to carry a bear whistle...or amused that this is common enough that you own a bear whistle already.

It's mainly just as a standard workplace safety precaution thing. I'll probably never need to use it. ;p

Not that black bears can't be dangerous especially if they have cubs around, but I was a tad worried you'd be dealing with something more dangerous like some types of brown bears such as grizzly's. I recently watched a documentary called "Grizzly Man" about the unfortunate Timothy Treadwell incident,  and I suppose it's made me a little paranoid on the subject of bears. Then again I doubt you're actually going out into the wilderness trying to live among the bears . . still, have you considered carrying bear mace as well just in case ?

Ah. Yeah, nothing like that. But a few years ago, in my area, at a workplace similar to mine, somebody was killed by a black bear. So, there's been a lot of emphasis on bear safety and such. (I don't know the details of that incident. The person was probably trying to pet it or something ridiculous like that. But it's still pretty yikes.)

Bear spray isn't allowed at my worksite (though I thiiink the wildlife safety patrol team might be permitted to carry it). It's whistles and air horns only. '3'b

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #15848 on: June 29, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
Considering that Germany's MO is to have a boatload of intel about the adversaries and a bajillion contingency plans derived thereof

it would be quite logical if Iceland were to eliminate us from the tournament ... O0

(Matter of fact, it sort of happened before.)

Now you mention it something in my brain remembers...

Yuu what do bear whistles do? Are they working like dog whistles but the other way round - scaring the bear away rather than calling it to come closer? Good luck in keeping the bears off.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #15849 on: June 29, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
Yuu what do bear whistles do? Are they working like dog whistles but the other way round - scaring the bear away rather than calling it to come closer? Good luck in keeping the bears off.

It's an ordinary whistle - similar to the kind that coaches and such use. The only thing that makes it a Bear Whistle specifically is that it was distributed by the safety team, and it has ~BEAR AWARE~ written on the lanyard, so that we won't forget why we have to carry them. :P Bears don't like loud noises, so In Theory, one would run away if they heard it.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #15850 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
It's an ordinary whistle - similar to the kind that coaches and such use. The only thing that makes it a Bear Whistle specifically is that it was distributed by the safety team, and it has ~BEAR AWARE~ written on the lanyard, so that we won't forget why we have to carry them. :P Bears don't like loud noises, so In Theory, one would run away if they heard it.

If bears react like my pupils it might result in a loud uproar and protest ;) I am positive that they will move at an instant when shown the lanyard.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15851 on: June 29, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »
Not that black bears can't be dangerous especially if they have cubs around, but I was a tad worried you'd be dealing with something more dangerous like some types of brown bears such as grizzly's. I recently watched a documentary called "Grizzly Man" about the unfortunate Timothy Treadwell incident,  and I suppose it's made me a little paranoid on the subject of bears.

The scientific name of the mainland grizzly bear is Ursus arctos horribilis - "the horrible bear bear". As far as I'm concerned that's all you need to know!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

IKEA

« Reply #15852 on: June 29, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
The scientific name of the mainland grizzly bear is Ursus arctos horribilis - "the horrible bear bear". As far as I'm concerned that's all you need to know!
Don't forget Ursus chicagois:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15853 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
Quote from: Purple Wyrm
Ok so can we get a petition to replace grizzly bear with "the horrible bear bear", because I feel it is a huge improvement.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15854 on: June 30, 2016, 12:25:14 AM »
Ok so can we get a petition to replace grizzly bear with "the horrible bear bear", because I feel it is a huge improvement.

That is absolutely an improvement. We need to start using this now :'D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race