Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424604 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15075 on: April 14, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
This looks like a fantastic holiday you had here. You're so lucky to have gone to the acropolis and all of those other awesome sights in Greece (with a Percy Jackson sighting and all). That's such an amazing part of the world, the way the old world is slammed right up against the more modern world. I can't wait to go there myself one day.

it's more of a school excursion than a holiday  (my feet are dying), but it's definitely percy jackson-y! the other day i even saw a kid in a camp half-blood shirt.

i don't have a whole lot to SAY about today, but i took a gazillion snaps ans posted them on my blog again.

also everyone is out to eat, i went to the vegetarian place again but on my own, i got safely back to the hotel on my own, so now i am going to have some glorious alone-time before my roomie returns. not that i complain about the roomie, she turned out to be another introverted pokemon- and dragon nerd so that's pretty perfect as far as coincidental roomies go
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15076 on: April 14, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
i don't have a whole lot to SAY about today, but i took a gazillion snaps ans posted them on my blog again.

Great pics!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15077 on: April 14, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong but the current music thread seems to be purely about listening to music and sharing music, but going through it I didn't see any talk about being a musician and making music. So I went through all the threads on this board and didn't see a thread for musicians and making music, so like, what if I just, go ahead and make one ? Would that be alright, can I just do that ? If I were to do that would anyone be interested in that ?

I dunno, I thought it was kind of funny that there's a thread for people who write for their art and a few threads for people who do the visual arts like drawing and painting, but not one for those of us who do the aural arts  :P

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15078 on: April 14, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »
Okay so correct me if I'm wrong but the current music thread seems to be purely about listening to music and sharing music, but going through it I didn't see any talk about being a musician and making music. So I went through all the threads on this board and didn't see a thread for musicians and making music, so like, what if I just, go ahead and make one ? Would that be alright, can I just do that ? If I were to do that would anyone be interested in that ?

I dunno, I thought it was kind of funny that there's a thread for people who write for their art and a few threads for people who do the visual arts like drawing and painting, but not one for those of us who do the aural arts  :P

There is a thread for posting performances and similar things, and a thread for a musical group for performing together, but if you want to create one that is for talking about practicing and musical technique and stuff you can do that. Just open a thread, there should be some people interested, we have a fair amount of musically inclined members :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #15079 on: April 14, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

Sounds like that would be an interesting thread to have, since we do have a lot of other threads for other crafts. Go ahead and set it up. I'm sure there are actually a lot of musicians on the forum, who just haven't had the right thread to talk about their music yet.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15080 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
There is a thread for posting performances and similar things, and a thread for a musical group for performing together, but if you want to create one that is for talking about practicing and musical technique and stuff you can do that. Just open a thread, there should be some people interested, we have a fair amount of musically inclined members :)

What, really ?? How did I miss those ? Oh gosh I'll have to look through again because that definitely sounds interesting !!

But yeah, I think I'll go ahead and make one that's just discussing and sharing experiences as musicians, practice tips and techniques, theory, ect. :3

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15081 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »
There are a lot of musicians on the Forum indeed, some of whom would surely be interested. And have you found the thread 'SSSS - The Musical'? Some interesting compositions there.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #15082 on: April 14, 2016, 10:03:58 PM »
I made an apple smoothie!

Spoiler: show
But since my method of smoothies involves no ice ever and a I didn't look up how to make an apple smoothie, it went badly and ended up more like a sauce. Then I made pancakes, but my brother got the bigger part of the mix because he wanted pancakes, so I'm stuck with this pancake the size of a large coaster. And then I hunk some on my mom's coconut oil on the stove along with the apple smoothie so i could have. like. hot apple sauce. but then it started hissing really loudly so I had to turn off the stove. And THEN I'm stuck with this lukewarm apple sauce and a hot pancake. It could have gone better.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15083 on: April 14, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »
I made an apple smoothie!

Spoiler: show
But since my method of smoothies involves no ice ever and a I didn't look up how to make an apple smoothie, it went badly and ended up more like a sauce. Then I made pancakes, but my brother got the bigger part of the mix because he wanted pancakes, so I'm stuck with this pancake the size of a large coaster. And then I hunk some on my mom's coconut oil on the stove along with the apple smoothie so i could have. like. hot apple sauce. but then it started hissing really loudly so I had to turn off the stove. And THEN I'm stuck with this lukewarm apple sauce and a hot pancake. It could have gone better.

Aww, sounds like you've been having quite the cooking misadventures! I'm not sure about how coconut oil should be used in general (possibly the stove was too hot for it?), but for applesauce you don't need to use oil at all, just chopped-up apples and maybe a little water (and sugar if you like to sweeten your applesauce, but I like mine tart!) The juice from the apples will keep it from sticking to the pot. :)

If it makes you feel any better though, it could also have gone much worse...like the time my grandpa tried to make rice pudding and ended up with every container in his kitchen filled with rice.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15084 on: April 14, 2016, 11:05:42 PM »
Or the time my daughter made a massive pot of popcorn (poured the whole kilo packet into a pot with oil, didn't put the lid on). This was back in the days before microwave popcorn, and it took me MONTHS to find all the bits behind cupboards, embedded in things, stuck in the ceiling.......
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #15085 on: April 14, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »
Since we're discussing kitchen mishaps, this reminds me of a fun time my father tried to fry dumplings in olive oil.
Hint: when it gets too hot, olive oil catches fire.
Another hint: you need a lot of oil to fry dumplings properly

There's a scorch mark in almost a perfect sphere on the ceiling just above the fridge. It honestly looks like it might fall off at any second to reveal a portal to hell.
I saw the future.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #15086 on: April 14, 2016, 11:54:56 PM »
One time me and my mom were making soup and we had to puree it in the blender. We poured it in and it came right to the top. We figured it would be fine with the lid on, and we turned on the blender. The result was green everywhere. It looked like someone had run a lawnmower through the kitchen.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15087 on: April 15, 2016, 12:21:14 AM »
Speaking of kitchen mishaps, never put a CD in the microwave. Please do not try this at home. Or anywhere.

...Even if the result is pretty cool.

/cough
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #15088 on: April 15, 2016, 12:25:14 AM »
Speaking of kitchen mishaps, never put a CD in the microwave. Please do not try this at home. Or anywhere.

...Even if the result is pretty cool.

/cough

Ooooh! I watched the mythbusters do that once!

Also never put yogurt in the microwave. My little brother microwaved his yogurt and it caught fire.

OwlsG0

« Reply #15089 on: April 15, 2016, 12:31:33 AM »
Well as if to give me more to post about on this thread, my sister just micro-waved a potato, in spite of us telling her not to do that about as often as we have told her to stand up straight.

Guess who had to clean up the potato war-head mess in the microwave?
I saw the future.