Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2423787 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #12825 on: December 07, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »
Storm update: some areas are without power at the moment, over here the lights are occasionally flickering but fingers crossed. Almost all roads in the whole country are closed. Property damage in the capital city area is mostly broken windows and pieces of roof flying around, although one balcony has apparently went its merry way as well. The met office has had wind detectors blown away at Westmanislands.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #12826 on: December 07, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »
Storm update: some areas are without power at the moment, over here the lights are occasionally flickering but fingers crossed. Almost all roads in the whole country are closed. Property damage in the capital city area is mostly broken windows and pieces of roof flying around, although one balcony has apparently went its merry way as well. The met office has had wind detectors blown away at Westmanislands.
if you have to go to work tomorrow i'm gonna squint real hard at your bossman out of principle
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #12827 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »

Wow.  Sounds pretty intense. Glad you're OK!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #12828 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »

One of my best friends lives in Iceland and frankly I do not blame her for not being online to get updates from
At least I got another source of news here
Here's hoping it blows over without too much damage ;w;
Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12829 on: December 07, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Laufey: if you don't have storm shutters, criss-cross duct tape on the windows. They are a bit less likely to break, and it slows down flying glass. If your house has inner rooms not directly exposed to the outside, stay there. Keep a lamp or candles, matches and a battery torch close, a battery radio if you have one, plus food and water. Be very careful with the fire, both not to ignite your stuff and not to asphyxiate yourself. Probably sounds silly to worry about water in Iceland, but if you can't get to a room with a tap it can be a problem. First aid kit is a good idea too, and, gross as it sounds, a closeable container you can use for toilet purposes, and toilet paper, if your safe room isn't the bathroom (says the person who has ridden out several Qeensland and Northern Territory cyclones in solid bathrooms).

Keep with you your important papers (ID, drivers licence, medical data and prescriptions, contact list and the like), and a supply of necessary medications. A small tool kit. Warm clothes, blankets and quilts and pillows. Make sure all your devices are charged while you still have electricity, and if you have a powered charger keep it with you. Something to do (knitting, a book to read if you have light, a big notebook and pencils). Build a blanket fort and get some rest. And best of good luck!

Haiz, SectoBoss and anyone else sitting exams: best of luck! Sometimes you do better if you just relax and go for it as if you were writing a story. I'm probably not the best person to advise, because I generally enjoyed exams (except for the ones that required any kind of technical drawings, those were a horror and a nightmare). But all my younger siblings were nervous about exams, and they found the best thing to do was to read over your material several times, a day or so apart, rather than trying to concentrate intensely once, then to try for a decent sleep the night before, and to get up early on exam day, eat lightly, then go out and be active for an hour or so before the exam, go for a walk or something, to get the blood flowing and let the brain wake up. Courage and luck!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #12830 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »
Aaaaaaa, I'm going to buy my first tablet tomorrow!!

*dances excitedly*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12831 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »
if you have to go to work tomorrow i'm gonna squint real hard at your bossman out of principle
You'ld have to squint hard to see him up there, because in that case, I fully intend to use him for a kite for demonstration purposes. Complete with the Ben Franklin accoutrements.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12832 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
Good luck with the storm Laufey!!!

And good luck to all those in exam hell!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #12833 on: December 08, 2015, 01:37:50 AM »
Welp that was a LOUD night. Looks like it's still blowing outside a bit, buses are still not on route, which is what me going to work really depends on (if it's safe enough for bus drivers to go to work it's definitely safe enough for me to go to work). I appreciate the concern but my boss wouldn't even suggest anyone venture outside in a hurricane, he's not evil!

The thing about storms is that they blow over and since Iceland has very few trees we don't experience the same kind of road clearing problems that f.ex. Finland has, though roads may be quite icy now that it rained on them a bit. Anyway, looks like Iceland fared ok-ish in the storm: the whole east half, Westmanislands and West Fjords suffered the worst and there's still power outages, no doubt there's a lot of cleaning up to do, but I don't see reports of any casualties.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12834 on: December 08, 2015, 03:07:02 AM »
Welp that was a LOUD night. Looks like it's still blowing outside a bit, buses are still not on route, which is what me going to work really depends on (if it's safe enough for bus drivers to go to work it's definitely safe enough for me to go to work). I appreciate the concern but my boss wouldn't even suggest anyone venture outside in a hurricane, he's not evil!

The thing about storms is that they blow over and since Iceland has very few trees we don't experience the same kind of road clearing problems that f.ex. Finland has, though roads may be quite icy now that it rained on them a bit. Anyway, looks like Iceland fared ok-ish in the storm: the whole east half, Westmanislands and West Fjords suffered the worst and there's still power outages, no doubt there's a lot of cleaning up to do, but I don't see reports of any casualties.

Glad to hear you're ok!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12835 on: December 08, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »

Phew I'm glad it was OK in the end! O_O

I just went and murdered a nest of jackjumpers... It was oddly....relaxing-yet-energising. I don't know if that's from accidentally inhaling some bug spray though... <_< It's not like I like insect killing. At all. But jackjumpers....are the rash beasts of the ant world. I like ants, they're funky and cool. But not these guys. Eeeeeeeevil. Plus, my little sister gets severe allergic reactions if she's bitten, and they're right near her window and the clothesline so that's...bad. They needed to go.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #12836 on: December 08, 2015, 03:59:24 AM »
One hour to my Swedish exam, probably shouldn't still be on the forum...
*checks another thread*
It'll be juuust fiiine
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #12837 on: December 08, 2015, 04:18:28 AM »
Sectoboss: good luck! Just talk like Emil.....

Laufey: glad the storm wasn't worse!

Owl: yeah, jackjumpers are no fun whatever - they're one of the few insects I'll kill if they nest near the house. Bites are unbelievably painful, and some of my folk are allergic to the bites. Since I'm violently allergic to the spray, I'm afraid I pour kettles of boiling water down the nests.....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #12838 on: December 08, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
I just went and murdered a nest of jackjumpers... It was oddly....relaxing-yet-energising. I don't know if that's from accidentally inhaling some bug spray though... <_< It's not like I like insect killing. At all. But jackjumpers....are the rash beasts of the ant world. I like ants, they're funky and cool. But not these guys. Eeeeeeeevil. Plus, my little sister gets severe allergic reactions if she's bitten, and they're right near her window and the clothesline so that's...bad. They needed to go.

Owl: yeah, jackjumpers are no fun whatever - they're one of the few insects I'll kill if they nest near the house. Bites are unbelievably painful, and some of my folk are allergic to the bites. Since I'm violently allergic to the spray, I'm afraid I pour kettles of boiling water down the nests.....

Please tell me these things aren't literally jumpers
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12839 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:46 AM »
Please tell me these things aren't literally jumpers
They do...jump? If that's what you're asking? XD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant

heh, I wouldn't know how to weld the kettle properly -__- My preferred method is getting a shovel and flipping a big chunk of the nest ....inside out I guess..or upside down,,, and then making sure that all the tunnel doors are exposed and then just systematically spraying the whole thing with bug spray, especially the tunnel doors, plus any stragglers. And then when I think they're all dead I just flip the chunk of earth back into place like it never happened O___O
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:55:34 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: