Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 85034 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #315 on: May 08, 2021, 06:32:38 PM »
Update after reading some stuff:

Binge-read Witch Door, very nearly, am caught up and following that. Like it a good deal so far.

Have been trying to get into Year in Hereafter, with considerably less success; though I have so far made it to page 163. Further comments about Year in Hereafter under a spoiler, because, spoilers maybe, of sorts:
Spoiler: show

Started off holding my interest, but then produced a long stretch during which I had no clear idea what was going on, and found myself just pushing through pages in the hope that something would make sense eventually; followed by a couple of expository pages which didn't help.

So maybe that was all just the preamble? maybe it'll make more sense later? or maybe it makes sense if one already knows this mythology, which I don't? maybe it would make more sense if I hadn't read some of it late at night? So I try to get back to it --

at which point I open page 163 and what is Reynir doing in here? No, apparently that's not Reynir; but sure looks like him to me. (Maybe it's mostly the braid?? face looks also like Reynir to me but I'm partly faceblind and people often look the same to me who look different to other people.) Guest character -- but not from Minna. Guest character from a different work and author entirely. Which the author's note says is intertwined with this work; so apparently you're supposed to be reading both of them. Which is all very well but I'm already confused and that's probably going to make it worse. And I don't know at what point the other story's going to line up with this one, author doesn't seem to say. (And the other one's on hiatus, though presumably Miikka's aware of that.)

So I might still come back to this combination, and will maybe wind up with an opinion that has less confusion to it. But it looks like that's going to take a while.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2021, 06:42:08 PM »
Spoiler: year in hereafter • show

You don’t need to follow the other comic, Jaakko is just sort of the same person in another universe. He’s not like Reynir at all, except in the looks.

It’s not very directly from the Finnish mythology, so I didn’t work it out from the start, but I don’t recall being utterly confused either. Maybe it’s the late nights :) Or maybe Miikka is specifically writing it so to reflect how weirded out Mikael is feeling, since he doesn’t believe “any of that stuff”.

🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
Thanks, Jitter.

I'll probably check out the other comic at some point anyway; who knows, maybe I'll like it better  :P

It did occur to me that maybe it was supposed to be confusing as one of the characters would certainly be confused; but I was confused even when he wasn't the POV character. Plus which, I'm sort of put off by the 'let's express how confused this character is by confusing the reader' type of writing in any case. But I will keep trying, and will try to read at least some bits while more awake (though really, especially at this time of year, if I'm fully awake I ought to be doing something else  ;D.)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2021, 01:01:41 AM »
I see your point, thorny! A farmer can never rest in spring!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
thorny...

Spoiler: more year in hereafter • show

I had the same initial experience with YiH as you did. Started well, then I got utterly lost. When I was in serious procrastination mode, I went back and re-read a bunch of it, and it started to make more sense... but then I also noticed the evolving art style, and found I preferred the earliest pages. It's still changing (of course - artists change!) and I'm liking it a bit better, but then it went on extended hiatus and I fear that when updates resume, I'll go back to being confused. Just now I went and had a gander, and discovered the entire website had been revamped. Doing some random clicking in hopes of being able to explain my problems with the art style, I kept encountering pages that looked completely unfamiliar! I don't know if that's because new material was added, pages were re-drawn, or because my memory sucks... probably the latter.  :'D  Anyway, it's one of those things I want to like, but can't decide if it'll be worth the effort. Maybe my best bet is to wait until it's finished, so that the flow isn't interrupted by a months-long hiatuses.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Raaffiie

« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2021, 10:37:03 AM »
Oh, if it's about Year in Hereafter then I think I can add a couple things, as for me it was the webcomic that got me into webcomics.

I've followed YiH for a good while now, and been a Patreon supporter for a pretty large part of that time too. From that I've gotten the impression both that Miikka is  a really nice person, and that YiH is rather personal to them. Over time there has been no small amount of hiatuses, as well as changes to the comic reflecting either personal circumstances or collaboration with other artists.

In particular Miikka has done a lot of work together with Elli, the creator of the comic Tistow (which the character of Jaakko is from). They even have a joint Patreon account, and at one point they did a collaborative comic, Small Trolls, featuring characters from both their comics.

I think this collaboration is the biggest point where you really notice an art style change, as Miikka seems to have taken some cues from Elli's style (and maybe a bit too much at some point imo, as I really like Miikka's own artstyle). Recently it seems like they've come to embrace their own artstyle a bit more.

Overall I think YiH is really good, but if you're looking for something that is similar to SSSS which updates regularly and is more story-focussed, you might be disappointed. YiH I think is more interesting because of the art, the characters, and especially the creative process behind it. It's more like an RPG than a super fixed story.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:06:31 AM by Raaffiie »
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
Concerning the relationship between Year in Hereafter and Tistow, it’s also worth noting that Tistow was completely restarted during YIH was ongoing, so some of the events in Tistow Miikka alludes to in comments for YIH are nowhere anymore. Tistow is now only a couple dozen pages, an opening of what seems to be a start of an interesting story, but it hardly ever updates. So YIH either stands on its own (which I think it does) or not at all.

BTW I also like the earlier art style better, although Miikka seems to hate it now. They are pondering redraws, whichever I hope they won’t go into because it’s so time consuming and would eat at the already uneven updating.

The latest posts are two extra chapters, drawn several years ago, that take place a lot earlier than the current point in the story. Which doesn’t help you get back on track if you are already confused:) but otherwise they are nice!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
Tistow is fun; what there is of it.

-- Jitter, do you mean that there used to be a good deal more of it, but some has been removed and other parts have been changed?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »
Thorny, apparently it was a lot longer but the artists didn’t like it anymore and took everything down. I asked after it at some point when Elli was active in either the Tistow or YIH comments but she said it won’t be back. Artist’s right of course!

Oh and I see the comments on Tistow are also gone.

thorny

« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
It is the artist's right; but it does make it difficult to discuss the comic! and makes me wonder whether the same thing might happen with Hereafter.

(Of course, we don't know for sure that it'll never happen with anything else online, either.)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »
I used to follow both Tistow and YIH quite regularly a few years ago (Miikka actually used to be on the forum!), but gradually moved away from them (had similar problems to Thorny). Small Trolls, a comic they both worked on together was wonderful, however, and I'm sad to see that it doesn't look to be available online anymore :( Maybe I'll give them both another go, seeing as there's a bit more material now :)

I've currently been having a lot of fun reading Phantomarine, which some of you may enjoy as well. It's cute and spooky, with gorgeous art and updates regularly (it's also moving over to Hiveworks soon, so that's another good one they've managed to grab!).

Phantomarine is a spooky-but-sweet fantasy webcomic about a ghostly princess and her perilous journey across a haunted sea, hoping to save her soul from a devious, shapeshifting death god known as the Red Tide King.
Expect all manner of maritime mysteries – monstrous sea creatures, sacred lighthouses, strange afflictions, accursed marauders, feuding gods, grand sea battles, and a heaping helping of humor in-between!

I think it's already probably been recommended quite a few times over the years, but TMK is a fantastic Norse mythology comic! The art style is simple but gorgeous, and the story and characters are so interesting I'm often re-reading it just for fun  ^-^ It also doesn't limit itself to the Nordic countries, exploring various parts of the world that the Vikings would have interacted with.

Thistil Mistil Kistil is a fantasy adventure webcomic about vikings and Norse mythology. It follows Coal, a recently deceased warrior, as he joins forces with Loki to collect missing pieces of the gods’ weapons. Along the way they meet Hedda, an ex-slave, Ibrahim, a young scholar, and Arne, an adopted skraeling. The comic updates every week on Thursdays.
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2021, 06:44:42 AM »
I’m not a great reader of webcomics, don’t have nearly enough time, but Star has recently pointed me at one that he really enjoys. This is not so much a webcomic, though I read it on my pad, as a comic that one buys or subscribe to, which then turns up in iBooks. We have a family membership, so I get to read it too. His taste is generally good, so I tried reading a bit and found it interesting. Some of you might also enjoy it.

The comic is called ‘Resident Alien’. The authors are Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse. Interesting story and nice art. The premise is that an alien is spacewrecked in North America (he may or may not have been shot down). He had been here to destroy the remains of an unmanned probe that was also wrecked here, and at least managed to do that. He looks like some kind of grey, but can masquerade as a human. He has managed to steal some money (which, bless him, he later returns) and to rent an isolated house near a small bush town. He can conceal his appearance from human eyes, but there are two major problems: his mind tricks don’t work on cameras, and some few humans can see him as he is. Including one of the local small children. Fortunately she likes and trusts him. The local shaman can also see at least that he is not as he appears, but being a shaman is used to weird and not very concerned.

He is posing as a retired Dutch doctor having an extended fishing trip by the lake, while he waits and hopes for rescue which may or may not be coming. But a series of dramatic events in the nearby small town result in the townsfolk who have heard his cover story calling on him for emergency medical help. He agrees and somehow winds up as the interim doctor for the town, as well as discovering that he has skill for detection and deductive reasoning.....and meanwhile the equivalent of the Men in Black are closing in......

Good tale, funny, sweet, and has interesting depiction of relationships.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:03:20 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
Spoiler: some insight on year in hereafters artstyle • show

Year in Hereafter was brigaded by some toxic SSSS fans around the beginning of the comic due to its similarity to SSSS and aRTD's themes and Minna's artstyle, to the point where the artist contacted me to take down the link to the comic on the forum here. That more than likely contributes to the artist's dislike of their earlier artstyle.

Am notified of private messages via email.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2021, 08:09:39 PM »
Spoiler: some insight on year in hereafters artstyle • show

Year in Hereafter was brigaded by some toxic SSSS fans around the beginning of the comic due to its similarity to SSSS and aRTD's themes and Minna's artstyle, to the point where the artist contacted me to take down the link to the comic on the forum here. That more than likely contributes to the artist's dislike of their earlier artstyle.

What! That's awful.
I'd been assuming this whole time that the author's dislike of the earlier parts was just the usual "I feel like I've improved a lot" thing that lots of artists go through. But if he had to deal with that, I suppose I don't blame the author for making some changes and/or possibly having negative feelings related to that....

Anyway. I do love YiH, and I'm looking forward to whenever it'll start updating again.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »
Woah, Lenny, that's nuts! And really sad. Thanks for providing that explanation. I hope YiH continues at some point, it's an interesting (if somewhat confusing) story and I'd like to see it through.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: