Author Topic: Forum Advent Calendar 2021  (Read 10661 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Forum Advent Calendar 2021
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2021, 09:00:21 AM »
has it become a fad to have postcards mad of yourself?
Well, if the cards are to go all the distance to the recipient, they might well need a bit of motivation to do so ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
A great artwork. especially the light is so beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:41:54 PM by moredhel »

catbirds

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »
(Although Lalli looking happy next to a sheep seems a little out-of-character. Wishful thinking for Reynir, I suppose.)

There was a scene at the beginning of adventure 2 where Lalli hangs out on a mountain, but I don't know how Reynir would've been aware of that! Maybe he can do some clairvoyance-ing through sheep or something. (kidding)

I based the art style vaguely on the ONE instance where we see Reynir's drawing abilities, with all the swirls everywhere, including on the characters' clothes/hair and kitty, where applicable... but they're so small I don't really think they're noticeable >_<

Do the pictures on the cards represent the message, or has it become a fad to have postcards mad of yourself? Or are they Reynir’s drawings for his friends? (Coming to think of it, Onni probably is not in a photo, what with the lighspear).

I thought Onni might've seemed intimidating to Reynir at first, what with his insane strength in dreams, so I tried to make him look a little cartoonishly scary... that's it, maybe I did not succeed or Onni just looks like that normally. Poor guy!

I did not think the actual message through, though. But now that I think of it, if I did, that'd fill up my creative writing quota for the year. :'( Missed opportunities. They're just drawings of friends, however Reynir imagines them while they're far away. He probably spent a lot of his youth imagining the outside world, after all.

Well, if the cards are to go all the distance to the recipient, they might well need a bit of motivation to do so ...

O_O

Hfjklgkf I should probably comment now that I'm here, but I lost track of a few days!! Eeep

Keep, your poems are actually so captivating and pleasing to read! It reminds me of the epics I liked in high school, with the vibrant images of nature. Did you pay attention to the stressed syllables, or were they there coincidentally?

Wave, that's a funny situation for Tuuri to be in! I guess it's time for them to redefine what a Trifolium repens is :( Also, Kitty seems quite happy to be sleeping on paper.

Clayres, I love the way the crew is arranged in a way that looks like you can walk through their campsite! Is Kitty welcoming us? Also, I like the same song... it definitely is perfect for calming down, if not a little too relaxing for get-togethers with my friends.

Gwenno, what a colourful pile of tinsel! The cat seems to like sitting in that, too... funny how they work.

Purple Wyrm's guide: This is funny, but it also definitely could become a thing in-universe! Also, Kitty's very helpful! Curious about why they're debating the existence of magic, though, unless it's just because it's a danish amusement park!

Alkia, the campfire scene looks so dramatic! I'm glad to see everyone together again, even friends from almost... half a decade ago now! Yay :)

Grey, I love the second part of your little series on Ensi! I hope you continue it! You did a great job at capturing the uncertainty and confusion Ensi would've felt as a child born on the cusp of the rash.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
Heee, lovely! Great little details like the comb, the cookies, and was he sharpening pencils with his lovely knife? Reynir would absolutely be a sender of beautifully hand-crafted cards, and I guess they'd need to be illustrated thanks to the language barriers. Wonderful peaceful scene.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2021, 03:05:35 AM »

Spoiler: open the door • show

Local Elder of the Ruined Realm Róisín brings us another vignette from an ongoing story for today's treat!  Whether your day is at its shortest or its longest, it's always worth soaking up Down Under vibes with a master.
Spoiler: show

SURVIVAL

Alan was worried. He, being the owner of the garage and general store in the tiny town of Erica, along with his brothers in the nearby even smaller tourist ‘ghost town’ of Walhalla, and a few other sensible folk, had put in so much effort to keep their little bush towns going and safe during this damned pandemic, and now he feared that all of their efforts might well have been wasted. He was beginning to form a real understanding of the exact nature of their situation, and what had brought about this particular crisis was, he thought, just plain silly. People just wanted to party, to have fun holidays after a year of desperate worry and so much bad news and sheer weirdness; to visit friends and relatives and just let their hair down and enjoy life for a bit in among all the grimness. But the situation was looking worse rather than better.

The last official announcement before the ABC had abandoned regular programmes and the news, and had been reduced to occasional emergency broadcasts, bulletins about new lockdowns and urgent warnings about the movements of ‘trolls’, ‘beasts’ and ‘giants’, had been a plea to people to stay near home, not to leave their communities; to support and look after one another as they could, and not to carelessly spread this deadly ‘Rash Disease’. All very well, but now Alan was left dealing with a town full of people who were really restless and angry, especially the young men who would in a normal year have been already making plans to go down the mountain to the Latrobe Valley townships, or even to travel as far west as Melbourne, and spend at least a weekend and preferably the whole Christmas/New Year week simply enjoying themselves.

Even his wife was furious that she and her friends could not go down to Melbourne on the train, or even drive down to Moe in the Valley to buy Christmas gifts for their kids and grandkids. But as things were that was impossible. So before any of the young fools could do something stupid that endangered everyone he needed to think of some way that he could arrange for them to have a good time right here without going anywhere too dangerous.

Alan consulted with his older brother Jack, and with Jack’s strange little mining partner, and they went to Coppermines to talk to Old Bill the hermit there. Despite his own recent strange experiences on a hunting trip, Alan knew that all three of them had travelled widely in their lives, and had more experience of both weirdness and hardship than he did, having spent his life in the same tiny bush town which he never wanted to leave, so between them all they might think of something.

And so they did. Alan noticed that his brother had brought along his own young quoll, a female somewhat older than the one that had come to him last winter when he had first learned that he had magic. Both of them hissed at Bill’s water dragon, but settled down soon enough and left the humans to talk.

“Dunno what we can do about the young blokes. Normally I wouldn’t worry too much about them going on the tear, so long as nobody gets hurt. But this isn’t a safe time to go drinking among people you don’t know, or to get into a friendly pub brawl with strangers who might be carrying this Rash. I wouldn’t even want to go down to the coast for a bit of rock fishing these days - the marngits down at Tyers reckon that some of those odd disappearances down by the coast lately have been because some of the whales and dolphins have caught the Rash and have become …..I don’t know how to explain it…… twisted into weird shapes and sort of rabid? Attacking people? Certainly not friendly or just ignoring humans like they used to do. Maybe the same sort of thing that was wrong with that ……..dog-thing that tried to kill me last winter?

Anyway, I don’t want to take any chances. Even for New Year, I don’t reckon we should risk going too far from home. We can throw a good enough party here - and I suppose Basil can still fire his precious cannon, like he does every year. We still have plenty of fuel and enough food to be going on with, though we could do with more of both if we can get it. I have no idea how long this lockdown is going to last, but I can’t say I feel optimistic about any of this. And the worst part is, we don’t have all that much booze on hand. Sure, the pubs got resupplied ahead of the Christmas and tourist season rush, but most of us would have done a trip down to the Valley to stock up, and now not even the big supermarkets are doing deliveries to any of the towns up here…..maybe to the work camp at Rawson, but maybe not. And New Year just won’t feel like New Year without a drink.”

Bill finally broke his usual silence. “I can put in a bit of my home brew for a party if that helps. I have a few gallons of bitter beer, and about the same of milk stout if that is any use. But I will need to save a bit as starters for next year’s brew. Can’t see any of us getting down to the Valley to buy brewing kits this summer. And I think Jimmy up the track has some homebrew as well. Worth a try. And there might……just might….be something worth salvaging in the cellars of the old pub at Cooper Creek.”

Jack added “I can put in a bit of beer myself, and who knows…..I just might know where there is a bit of white wine, for those who like the stuff. It’s pretty old though, maybe it’s stale by now, or whatever happens to old wine.”

His mining partner gave a resigned sigh. “You know perfectly well that most wines improve with ageing, Jack! Even old whites like the Windsor House brew. And maybe I can do something else toward next year with any that hasn’t aged so well?”

“Yeah, you do a good mulled wine. And I’m sure you and old Bill can use a still. Let’s go with that. That will set us up for next year.”

That was the first acknowledgement that perhaps this might not all be over soon.

*********************************************************************

So it was that they determined to raid the cellars of the old ruined pub.

It turned out to be well worth the trouble. There were still a few unopened kegs of beer, which was useful, but the prize of the expedition was the old publican’s own homebrew. He had kept bees, and had amused himself by making mead. Some of his still-sealed casks were now several decades old, and the mead had acquired a rich and syrupy texture with a surprisingly high alcohol content. There were still some old bottles of wine as well. And as might be expected in the kitchen and storerooms of what had once been a very busy pub catering to travellers, there was still a quantity of crockery, cutlery and table linen.

But to Jack’s mind the treasure of the old kitchen was the knife sharpening machine, an ancient Kent model from well over a century ago. It still worked well, and indeed as the small towns lost touch with the outside world, and the dangers around them multiplied, it did prove to be a life saving find.

Soon a convoy of utes was busy removing these treasures to the Walhalla Lodge Hotel where the seasonal festivities would be centred. And when Basil fired his ancient cannon from the top of the old cricket ground on New Year’s Eve the townsfolk did not discover until the next day that the ball had veered slightly from its course and had thoroughly crushed the head of the giant which had been dragging its bloated body up Stringer’s Creek toward the light and noise of the celebration.

Kitty Kane’s ghost smiled to herself over the resilience of the little town she loved and protected in death as she had in life. But that is another story.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2021, 03:17:37 PM »
Gosh I wonder who Jack's "strange little mining partner" might be?  ;)

Great parallels with our current situation... I do hope covid doesn't get as bad as the rash disease!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
Interesting story again! And I also wonder about the mining partner :)

All the deaths and whatnots were bad, but the worst threat to date is the looming booze-less celebration! We need to council immediately! :)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »
Aha, you spotted the self-insert! And yes, the characters I used were a group of realworld mates, all now long dead, who would have been greatly entertained to find themselves in a story, and whom I simply transposed into the Minnaverse some thirty-odd years after most of them had died.  I’m glad you liked the story. And yes, we really used to fire Basil’s old cannon from the mountaintop cricketground on New Year’s Eve. And yes, Bill really did have a Gippsland water dragon who had adopted him (big lizard with an amphibious lifestyle) and Jack had a quoll who moved into his house and made herself a place by the fire with the dog, cat and mountain jay who already lived there.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »
A lovely and festive story, Róisín. (I would absolutely relate to the tragedy that is the lack of celebratory booze.) I love reading about practical people, and you write them so well!
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2021, 03:07:15 AM »

Spoiler: open the door • show

Gather 'round, everybody - wait 'til you see what tehta has concocted for us tonight! 

A Bird's Tale

Voilà!  An interactive game!  What happens?  Try it out and see!
 :tuuri:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:10:02 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2021, 06:40:30 AM »
Oooh… I stayed up way too late struggling with this game and trying every possible combination! I'm not sure if I've gotten the best ending yet. Fun game, and it can have a very sad ending :( Or a great one! I'll take another crack at it tomorrow!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
What a great story, Róisín! Really interesting! Funny how they first complay about the lack of booze, but suddenly there are a lot of sources... ;) And that cannon ball was... redirected... by the ghost? Also, as everyone else, I'm curious about the mysterious minning partner...

Tehta, this is extraordinaire! Congratulations! I think this will get me entertained for a while, trying to find what can happen! Loved it! <3

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2021, 12:13:03 PM »
nice game reached a meh ending and it was fun. I will explore the tree of this game further.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2021, 12:56:09 PM »
Oh the best ending is very evident, if you don’t know whether you have reached it, you haven’t :) I may have played it “a few” times.

It’s great, thank you tehta!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

catbirds

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2021, 02:15:15 PM »
Oh the best ending is very evident, if you don’t know whether you have reached it, you haven’t :) I may have played it “a few” times.

It’s great, thank you tehta!

Would I be correct in assuming the best ending involves the mistletoe? :3