Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 32212 times)

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2021, 10:07:32 PM »
Vulpes,
That was unexpected and wonderful !
You really captured the look and feel of a scientific journal !
I'm still laughing 😆 
All our heroes were perfectly in character too.
A very original take on it...
Such talent here, it's amazing.
Thanks 🐿🦆🐿🦆

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2021, 01:33:44 AM »
Day 23:  (How to catch) Kusiaistennuolija

Brand-spanking-newbie madumb puts forward a welcome contribution to our collection, and (as you have probably already seen, since it's far more eye-catching than my text!) it's a doozy! 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:41:42 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2021, 02:04:54 AM »
I've probably mixed science and arts journal conventions in things like the reference format, but I realised that I was waaaay overthinking it and didn't go looking at actual history journals.
As a former academic¹ I fondly² remember having to reformat the references section of a paper so as to match the style guide of whatever journal / conference I was going to submit it to, because of course the differences would go beyond what automated means³ could cover.

Historians of today would AFAIK insist on having years given in four digits and with an acronym pinpointing the calendar used, but the post-Rash ones can reasonably be expected to have a different approach in that respect, especially if the events discussed are post-Rash, too.

¹ Math / CS
² Irony, n., a major ingredient used by authors to steel themselves for upcoming interactions with editors
³ e.g., BibTeX
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2021, 07:01:54 AM »
Madumb, Mirasol, Vulpes and Looney, those are all wonderful! And Vulpes, I am much amused by the academic citations!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2021, 07:30:08 AM »
Vulpes, it's extraordinary! Every bit!
I'm on my phone now so more later, but I must Must MUST read "The truth about Trifolium repens"! :)

Madumb, great story! That bear looks much more terrifying in your hands! May this be the first of many contributions from you!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
Vulpes, wow!! You've formatted it exactly like the academic reports of my nightmares :'D I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Poor Emil's diary, but I would never have thought to make an academic paper out of a story so this was an awesome idea :)

Credit where credit is due - JoB's story had "citations" (links to relevant web pages) which put me thinking in that direction. As it was, I was struggling to finish it, and had already been through two completely different approaches.

Vulpes,
That was unexpected and wonderful !
You really captured the look and feel of a scientific journal !
I'm still laughing 😆 

Excellent! Laughter was the goal... but it is a collection of rather obscure jokes, so I wasn't sure if it would be effective. Glad some hit the mark.  :))

As a former academic¹ I fondly² remember having to reformat the references section of a paper so as to match the style guide of whatever journal / conference I was going to submit it to, because of course the differences would go beyond what automated means³ could cover.

Biology is terrible that way! Every gosh-darn journal has a slightly different reference format... bane of my existence. I've only briefly explored automatic formatting, and it didn't work properly so I gave up.

Madumb, Mirasol, Vulpes and Looney, those are all wonderful! And Vulpes, I am much amused by the academic citations!

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I had a lot of fun inventing them.

I'm on my phone now so more later, but I must Must MUST read "The truth about Trifolium repens"! :)

It's a great piece of investigative journalism. That Rakel is a brilliant writer.  ;)

madumb, that's awesome! Brought back memories of summer camp, singing that song - luckily none of the campers came that close to being eaten.  :haw:
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
Madumb, what a great first contribution! Thank you! May there be many more!

And with this, it’s become Monday here in Finland and the break is over! Thank you each and every one for the comtributions and comments! Despite the... circumstances, we did well again!

The rumor has it there’s still one bear beast on the loose! Let’s hope Mielikki smiles upon us and someone catches it!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
It has been great! Thank you to the organisers!

Sevseres

« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
Day 24: (How to catch) Pöppö

Sometimes one must stand up for the dirty work even when no one else dares to. I only claimed this last prompt, but a mysterious hunter had a more stressful issue with the same beast. I'm posting early since I have to go to sleep, and it seems the new chapter has just started too, yay! Thank you all who organized the break and contributed. It's been a lot of fun!

"Come over here!" The mage shouted as she took cover in the gap under a large rock. "No point of running, that bear is fast!"

It sure was. They hid in the gap, trying to steady their breath. They both had thought this to be an easy kill. But Pöppö was ferocious. Even with those jiggly meat sacks it had instead of any sensory organs, it was perfectly aware of everything. And it was so angry. Maybe at that last party who left it to rot instead of releasing its spirit? The hunter didn't care at this point, she only knew that she had to get both of them out of this alive. She peeked at her companion, hastily trying to draw a protection rune with shaking hands. They could hear the beast running. It was making disgusting, wet sounds that would make anyone feel sick in their stomachs. It ran straight past their rock and the hunter relaxed a little, but soon it stopped and ran back. It went back and forth around the rock. Searching. Not long after, the sound became terribly close. Pöppö made a growling, wheezing sound. My gods, the hunter thought in terror, it is standing on the rock, isn't it?

"I'll do plan B" the hunter whispered.

"Wha...?! N--no!" the mage whispered back, horrified. "You know how inhumane that plan is..."

"There's nothing else left to do."

"No, you-- we can't! This is not the way we were taught. And what if it doesn't work? It will get you right away. No... I can get us out-- I can-"

The hunter shushed the mage. Even if it didn't work, and gods knew that she even kind of wish it didn't, she could distract the beast. She could save the mage.

"Stay here." was her last words to her, she tried to look strong and held her breath. It was a horrible plan. Even if it worked, she knew the mage would not look her the same way again. She would have become a ruthless, remorseless killer. And the mage too would leave her, realizing there is no good in her.

She hopped onto the rock and stood up, face to face with the bear. The bear stood up, ugly and ready to attack. The hunter gathered all her determination and shouted her heart out.

"Noone wanted you for the chapter break filler!"

The bear froze for a second. A loud noise followed. That dry, unmistakable CRACK. The bear loosely raised its paw towards its chest. Whining, the heavy body fell down the rock, dead of a broken heart.

The hunter stood on the top of the rock, gazing at the lifeless body. She couldn't gather the courage to face the mage. What could she have said to her? What words would a monster speak?

Before she could continue, she felt the touch of the mage surrounding her. "I am so proud of you" the soft voice spoke. Shyly, the hunter hugged her back. They both cried a little, but it was okay, for they were the tears of joy.

And they lived happily ever after.
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Róisín

« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2021, 07:26:57 PM »
Sevseres, what a powerful ending!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2021, 10:48:01 PM »
I laughed, I cried.  The truth is truly stranger than fiction, and as poignant. 

May I also take this moment to thank all of our contributors for the break event.  You are all awesome.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

catbirds

« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2021, 02:45:49 AM »
What a heartfelt end to this chapter break!

madumb, I love how chipper these three look :) To me, it reads like a fast-paced comedy manga, down to the expressions and all. Not sure if that's what you intended, but I think it's great!

Sevseres, I did not expect that punchline at all! This must be the most potent of all spells. Thank you for this short and sweet end to the chapter break.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2021, 08:31:17 AM »
Oh no sevseres! Poor Pöppö! What a horrible way to go!

At least the mage is there to send it off properly!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Hah! Sevseres, that's brilliant! A wonderful end to a great chapter break - thanks to all the contributors, and our intrepid organizers for keeping things on track.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
sevseres, another great work! Bravo! And I love when the fourth wall is breached!

Sorry for not commenting more now, but I'm a bit busy. Congratulations to all our wonderful contributors and commenters, and thanks for making another extraordinay break filler!
I'm proud to be in your company!

We left it to rot
One brave faced the beast and won
Found our happy end!

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society