Author Topic: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!  (Read 11946 times)

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Mini Break and Sixth Anniversary Celebrations!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2020, 10:50:07 PM »
Oh my word, this is so great, Wave! I love it!  :'D And JoB the idea is wonderful! You two made a good team ;D

Ugh, I promised you the second part of my drawing today but the day turned out to be so busy... I hope I’ll finish it and post it tomorrow    O_O
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
Aaah, wonderful, wave and JoB! The bow on the tail is a lovely touch.

This is obvious, and has probably been done before at some point, but it's all my poor brain is capable of at the moment:

gathering mushrooms
branch cracks, deformed shape looms near
stand still, stay silent
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
Indeed.
Spoiler: show

Adventure I, page 68, The First Rule.

Why do I feel like I'm playing "Clue" all of a sudden?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:21:03 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2020, 03:12:03 PM »
Haha, great! The dog is nothing sort of royal :)

I will have a little story tomorrow, promise!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Kyara

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Kyara (Disqus), Sinnena (Tumblr) Ysmeril (Twitch)
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 04:20:30 PM »
Haha Wave I love your drawing ! The poodle face is just....perfect ? JoB has a really good idea.
I laughed a lot with the drawing of CeilingFan ! Clearly, what hope of mental survival by staying more than twenty minutes with the seagull sentinel mage ?
Grey, your story is really beautiful (sad, if it's really the dog that almost bit Emil's butt in the...second volume I think?) but it could fit so much into the real story.
Always late to guess on the forum but I'll try not to miss Jitter's one tomorrow haha.
Anyway it's really nice so far. Can't wait to see the rest :)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 06:44:06 PM »
Heh, way too obvious, Grade E cat got it first try. I'll try to come up with something a little more challenging!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
Always late to guess on the forum but I'll try not to miss Jitter's one tomorrow haha.
Anyway it's really nice so far. Can't wait to see the rest :)
Not always! I still didn’t tell people if the guess about mine is right (I think there was only one person who guessed though...) and here is the second part of my artwork (link to OneDrive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsSnHPIBASO_rWrVUEo1RvN7O3UB
So you have a chance  ;)

Kyara

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Kyara (Disqus), Sinnena (Tumblr) Ysmeril (Twitch)
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2020, 03:22:14 AM »
Hoooo that's a nice second part. I love the colors :)
Vulpes, I guess you think it's page 195 "languages" too ?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2020, 03:46:29 AM »
A leeetle story for your day, under the cut (also on AO3):
Spoiler: best quality • show

Øresund Base, Year 77

Mikkel winced as he passed Michael the bucket, just in time.  He fixed his stare stolidly at the opposite wall as Michael utilised the bucket before settling back onto the bed with a groan. 

“It’s okay.  I’m okay,” Michael shook his head.  “Just something I ate.”  He sat up groggily.  “’Scuse me,” he took an empty specimen vial off the bedside table.  “You’re in the way.  Gotta go get this sample.”

Mikkel did not move.  “Listen, Michael, you’re in no condition to go anywhere today.  I’m going to fix you up some electrolyte solution.  You should be much improved by tomorrow.”

“I can’t wait until tomorrow.  I promised I’d return the vial before the ship sails for Iceland, this afternoon.”  He glanced at the clock.  “It’s no use.  I just can’t.  I needed that money, too.”  He put the vial back on the table as he lay back down.

“Money?,” Mikkel looked with renewed interest at the specimen vial.  “They’re going to pay you for it?”

Michael nodded weakly and closed his eyes.  “Once you pass the screening.  I’ve done, what? Three? Four times?  But, I like to think I’m sort of helping, too.” 

Mikkel sucked in his cheeks for a moment as he contemplated his twin.  Standing up, he loaded the various discarded cups and cloths left on the table onto a tray, nonchalantly putting the vial on it as well.  Picking up the tray, he said, “Never mind, I’ll just go clean these off.  No use getting whatever bug you’ve got going around.”  He reached for the bucket, but Michael lunged for it before he could pick it up.  Mikkel winced, “Never mind, I’ll come back for the bucket.”

Mikkel put the cloths into the laundry hamper and the dirty dishes into the sink.  Washing his hands thoroughly, he contemplated the vial once again.  After fixing Michael a pitcher of electrolyte and leaving it with him with stern instructions to drink it, he slipped into the toilet and locked the door.  He placed the vial carefully on the edge of the counter, turned on the warm water tap and soaped his hands liberally.  Taking a deep breath, he willed himself to think good thoughts.

------------------

Brúardalur, Year 91

It had been a very exciting day for Eva Rúnarsdóttir.  It wasn’t often strangers came to Brúardalur, and two of the famous Silent World explorers had been in her very own produce shop!  Foreigners could be so strange.  Sigríður had gossiped to Eva all about her guests, and she gathered that this must be the Norwegian woman and the Danish man.  She couldn’t understand much of anything the tall red-headed woman said, but Eva got the distinct idea that she did not appreciate the fine greenhouse mandarines on display, and had actually pointed and laughed at the carrots.  The man with her laughed at her jibes, but he surprisingly spoke Icelandic quite well despite his accent, and had bought a large bag of the mandarines.  He had a fine head of wavy hair and large hands.  Eva noticed details like that about people.

Eva went home and hung her coat on its hook, next to her husband’s.  The next three hooks were marked Matthías, Mikaela, and Marit, each holding the neatly hung jackets and hats of three of her children.  On the floor under the empty hook marked Magnús, was a crumpled jacket and hat.  Not for the first time, she could remember the Director of the Institute saying, “I assure you, madam, young Magnús is definitely from the same material as your other children.  We vet the donors very carefully.”

A trail of muddy footprints tracked from the front room into the kitchen, where she heard her younger daughter’s voice chiding, “Why did you have to badger him like that?  I thought he was very brave.  And they say he’s actually a mage, imagine that!”

Magnús scoffed, “Are you kidding?  That guy was so laaaame.  I see right through him.”  He rolled his eyes and flicked his wavy hair.  ‘OOo, look at me, I had to get rescued from the Silent World ‘cause I got loooost.  I banished a ghost, ooo, I’m special.’  He just wants to pretend to work while he’s asleep.  Pfft.  You should have seen Bergþóra going all googly-eyed at him!”  He let out a large belch.  “How come you weren’t there, I thought you were all gooooogly over Reynir toooo.”

“Don’t be disgusting, Magnús.  And I was still cleaning up my shawl after you tied it to the rooster!  Which, by the way, I’m telling Mamma.”

“He needed a cape.  Anyway, you didn’t miss anything.  He admitted he didn’t even kill a troll.  I told Reynir Mamma could banish a ghost.”

“I’ll banish you if you don’t clean up this mess immediately.”  Eva grabbed the broom and thrust it at her wayward youngest son.

Although his mother had startled him, Magnús didn’t look abashed as he took the broom.  “No, you won’t. You paid good money for me,” he grinned.

Edit: I almost forgot to submit my guess for Annuil's fine drawing!
Spoiler: pass me the envelope please • show

The Crew's Languages Primer!
Always a good one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:00:56 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2020, 05:02:53 AM »
Hahaa Wave! Brilliant!

It's the Dagrenning program, http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=300

I don't think Mikkel's quite as bad as the peccable person to the left though :mikkel:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2020, 05:11:51 AM »
So here's the story I promised.
Spoiler: We meet Ensi again • show

Ensi never was very talkative, but Saku enjoyed the conversations they had when she felt like it. She weighted her words beyond her years, and especially when her father was putting her to bed, they talked about many things with great consideration. Ensi was intelligent and very interested in the workings of the world and nature, things such as why does the sunshine warm you, but the moon only gives light. Many a time Saku wished he still had access to the internet to check on things he had forgotten since school.

One time, when Ensi was 12, they were discussing the night sky. Saku was explaining again how the stars are suns, but just very far away. Ensi had been mystified of the idea before, but now she seemed to accept it with no further questions. She went on to add, “Yes, dad, I know. But the fox fires are close! They come from our Sun!”
“Yes honey, you are absolutely right.”
“Auntie told me!”
“Oh, nice of her”.

Over the course of the summer, Ensi was picking up a lot of natural science. They discussed animal breeding,  how thunder is created,  why most of the birds leave for the winter, and many other things. Ensi was fascinated by everything. Over time, Saku began to notice that it wasn’t a one-sided lesson anymore – Ensi seemed to remind him of things he had forgotten, or in some cases wasn’t sure if he’d known them in the first place. When he complemented her on her wide knowledge, she always answered “I learned if from Auntie” or something like that.

Saku had come to understand that Ensi’s gift helped her understand nature more profoundly than would be expected. She had told him in confidence that she often felt the weather changing, and she seemed to have uncanny luck predicting where fishing would be good on a particular week. One time when they were talking about weather patterns again, Ensi mentioned the Gulf stream. Saku was amazed: “Does your “feeling” reach that far?”
“No, I learned from Auntie how winds and ocean currents determine the weather all over the world!”

Hmm, coming to think of it… Saku wasn’t aware of the natural sciences being among the chief passions of either of her sisters-in-law. “Which aunt was it again? Not Kaino, I presume?”
“Oh no dad, of course not! Not Aunt Tuuli either. It’s Auntie.”
“Auntie who? What are you talking about?”
“Auntie! The Forest Auntie! She’s my friend!”
“Forest Auntie? I don’t think I know who you are talking about. Please tell me more about her.”
“Well, she’s very old, she’s like really really wrinkly and has funny hair. She’s no taller than me, but heavier. Her arms and legs are… knobbly? Funny looking, and her arms are real long! But she has a very nice voice and she’s my friend!”
“Hmm, ok, honey, I think we need to learn more about this. You have to promise me to not go see her before I say so, ok?”

Ensi noticed that her dad was alarmed and first refused to say anything more. Auntie was her friend and there was no reason why dad would need to know more about her. But soon it seemed all adults were in upheaval over her friendship. After a long talk with mom and dad she finally told them where Auntie’s hut was located near the weird big stones surrounded by old spruces.

Arriving at the place, Saku, Eino and Veeti found no sign of a hut nor any old ladies, but to their relief also no sign of any malevolent entities. There was a cave of sorts between the boulders, but it didn’t appear recently inhabited. When they told this to Ensi, she went into a sulking spell. She was really cross with dad for scaring Auntie away. And on top of that, dad wouldn’t let her out into the woods alone!

In the autumn, when the first frosts were near, Ensi managed to convince dad that she wanted to see the place again. Saku was uncomfortable with the idea, but both he and Veeti had been checking on the place at least every week and there was never anything there. He agreed on the condition that he come with Ensi. When they arrived at the place, Ensi went directly into the little cave and came out with a packet bound in leather. Saku was certain he hadn’t seen anything like it when he checked the place not two days ago.

Back at the village the package was inspected by both cats and adults before Ensi was allowed to open it. It contained books. High school math, physics, biology and geography.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:14:33 AM by Jitter »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2020, 05:15:32 AM »
Hahaa Wave! Brilliant!

It's the Dagrenning program, http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=300

I don't think Mikkel's quite as bad as the peccable person to the left though :mikkel:

'Tis! But to be fair, I wasn't hiding it much.  I guess I can link it now, seeing as how the tags give it away.  Best Quality

And no, Mikkel's not quite that.  In the first draft, though, Michael was ill due to drunkenness, until I had another thought.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »
@Wave: Fun fact: I had the same idea about that kid, if a much less elaborate and amusing version of it.

Spoiler: Nitpicking • show
I don't know how intentional it is, but the story isn't quite compliant with a piece of the single mom's testimony.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
Hoooo that's a nice second part. I love the colors :)
Vulpes, I guess you think it's page 195 "languages" too ?
Thanks! Not exactly, Kyara, but Vulpes and Wave got it right, page 585, Adventure I, The Crew’s Language Primer ;D

Jitter, I love your writing style, it’s a really nice story! Though I have no clue of what info page could it be related to… Maybe there are people with a better memory and research skills here :D
 There are no pages about Ensi, even in the prologue, so, is it more about some of her mage abilities?.. One of the pages that comes up later in the comic?…

Edit: At first I missed your story, Wave! How could I?! As Jitter said, it’s brilliant!
My guess is page 300, Adventure I, The Dagrenning program!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:18:37 AM by Annuil »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
Thank you Annuil! It is an info page, not Ensi in the flashbacks :) Maybe we'll get further guesses.