Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76633 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »
Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime by Miyazaki/Ghibli, is that what you mean? I love that one. Before Disney had started releasing the Miyazaki library in the West (man, what an evil corporation: blocking the competition (that happens to outclass anything ever published by Disney, sorry you guys in the States!)), I got my hands on a copy with Japanese sound and English subtitles, and one of my most precious memories is seeing this with my 3-year old daughter (I had to translate simultaneously into Swedish, since she didn't know English/Japanese at the time ;D )!

Hmm, Kino ... I've seen some of it, and for some reason I never got roped in. Maybe I should give it another try.
The rest - safely jotted down in my Anime to check out list! Thanks! :D

Mononoke is a series and is a different anime to Mononoke Hime.

Also a Mushishi fan here, and I agree, Natsume Yuujinchou is also one to check out if you enjoy Mushishi. Both are in my all-time favourite lists of manga. I've never seen the anime of either, but my sister has, and she actually enjoyed them very much indeed (which is rare for her).

Barakamon is also one of my absolute favourites. Not supernatural like the other two, but also the same sort of feel... and it is magical in an entirely different way. The manga and anime are both wonderful.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Tap10lan

« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
Thanks, Solovei and Lenny. It looks really interesting. I'll definitely check it out.
Makes me think of Blade of the Immortal, at least when it comes to depicting the class society of old Japan. (Like that manga, although it gets a bit repetitive ...)
Foresty fanboy

Know it
:sweden: :uk: / :usa: (Mid-Atlantic ;D ) :germany:
Sort of
:finland: :croatia: (old)
Manage
:norway: :denmark:
Basically forgotten
:france:
Enjoy guessing
:italy:

:book1+: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
Mushishi has been on my to watch list for at least 3 years, maybe one day I'll actually get round to it :D

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2015, 04:52:23 PM »
So a friend has been bugging me to watch the Plastic Nee-san (+Tic Elder Sister) adaption and I haven't read the manga. I know very little about this show besides a gif of someone getting their head smashed into a wall. Is it any good?

Olive3-3

• DeviantArt
« Reply #349 on: June 09, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
Sorry to switch back to the subject of Princess Mononoke, but it's one of my favorite movies! One of the first myazaki movies I've ever watched in fact. Actually, Totoro was the first, then Howls moving castle, then Mononoke. My friend introduced me to these movies about a year ago, the same friend I'm watching Clannad with. And Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.   :)
-Olive

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #350 on: June 09, 2015, 03:00:42 PM »
I admit to only having watched Howl's Moving Castle of all these apparently great movies everyone is mentioning, and that was quite a bit ago so I don't remember it.

... Time to go on a binge?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #351 on: June 09, 2015, 03:03:33 PM »
you'll know where to find me.

Nimphy

« Reply #352 on: June 09, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »

yes

Tehehe. Full list please?  ;D

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #353 on: June 09, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
Tehehe. Full list please?  ;D
uhHHh I don't have a Full List (it's easy to google) but Good Ghibli Movies from the top of my head rn:
- Princess Mononoke
- Spirited Away
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Nausicaa
- My Neighbour Totoro
- Ponyo
- Laputa: Castle in the sky
- Arrietty
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- The Wind Rises
- Whisper of the Heart
- The Cat Returns
- Porco Rosso
- Up high on poppy hill (i think that's the title, my dvd's in norwegian so who am I to remember)
- i haven't seen When Marnie Was Here yet but I've heard it's good
- i recently saw the ghibli adaption of Earthsea and it was pretty nice?
- The Tale of Princess Kaguya

........there are more but these are the ones i can vouch for
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:45:13 AM by Haiz »

Olive3-3

• DeviantArt
« Reply #354 on: June 09, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »
Wait... is grave of the fireflies studio Ghibli? I've never seen it, my friend was going to watch it with me, but when she looked at the DVD case, she looked like she was going to cry, so we watched wolf children instead. Is it any good?
-Olive

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #355 on: June 09, 2015, 06:36:47 PM »
Wait... is grave of the fireflies studio Ghibli? I've never seen it, my friend was going to watch it with me, but when she looked at the DVD case, she looked like she was going to cry, so we watched wolf children instead. Is it any good?
it's good if you like being HORRIBLY SAD and CRYING

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:09 PM »
Haiz, you shouldn't have mentioned it and I shouldn't have made an answer in the other thread... :/
It's a good but VERY SAD movie. Very sad and which stay in your mind. (Persons who say they don't cry seeing it are lying. You can't see it without feeling anything.)
Let's find an other subject :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Olive3-3

• DeviantArt
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »
Ok, I'm sorry for bringing up the subject. I will watch that movie shine day... but today isn't that day!
-Olive

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #358 on: June 09, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
Ok, I'm sorry for bringing up the subject. I will watch that movie shine day... but today isn't that day!
It's nobody's fault and absolutely not yours :) But we're several here to... have a strong and sad reaction, and I don't want to traumatize someone younger with this movie.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Nimphy

« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2015, 04:54:23 AM »
It's nobody's fault and absolutely not yours :) But we're several here to... have a strong and sad reaction, and I don't want to traumatize someone younger with this movie.

Eeeh... But I wanted to watch it...