Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76623 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
I'm also in the Shizuo camp, but I am fascinated by Izaya. He's a very interesting character. That said, I do like it when things go wrong for him.

Simon is great.

This is quite true.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:39 PM »
I'm also in the Shizuo camp, but I am fascinated by Izaya. He's a very interesting character. That said, I do like it when things go wrong for him.

Me too! Things going wrong are good because he's sort of a villain, after all.

In true anime tradition there are those who like Izaya, those who like Shizuo and those who like both and just want to see them make out. I'm in the Shizuo camp, but I like Simon even more. Simon is great.

I, for one, like both but definitely don't want to see them making out, thank you very much. I still can't see how people could think that they could be within 1km of each other without a murder attempt.

Also, wow. I would've never thought you liked the peaceful characters.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #272 on: April 07, 2015, 04:21:08 AM »
Yeah, but Simon is peaceful in the sense of "I will knock your heads together until you stop fighting".  I haven't seen season 2, so maybe there is a personality change there, but season 1 does give the impression that he is a peace through force kind of guy.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #273 on: April 07, 2015, 05:07:09 AM »
Ah Simon is not that peaceful guy you all seem to think, in the novels there is quite the development, there are 10 or 11 if my memory doesn't lie me. Together with Vorona and some other characters from the Russian Mafia, they manage to make Izaya's life quite difficult so I suppose that's a reason to all the information broker haters to support the odd Russian sushi maker.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2015, 05:15:05 AM »
Ah Simon is not that peaceful guy you all seem to think, in the novels there is quite the development, there are 10 or 11 if my memory doesn't lie me. Together with Vorona and some other characters from the Russian Mafia, they manage to make Izaya's life quite difficult so I suppose that's a reason to all the information broker haters to support the odd Russian sushi maker.

Nah, I don't read the light novels and I don't think many do. I like Simon because he's an interesting character. If Izaya gets some karmic retribution thanks to Simon, good, but that's not really why Simon is well-liked.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
Nah, I don't read the light novels and I don't think many do. I like Simon because he's an interesting character. If Izaya gets some karmic retribution thanks to Simon, good, but that's not really why Simon is well-liked.
Fair enough, I think all the characters are interesting and add to the charm of the series, don't dislike any of them.
There was an anime that came out soon after Durarara ended called Working they are those two characters voiced by the same voice actors as Shizuo and Izaya

As a matter of fact all of the characters there  remind me of the Drrr cast

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »

Which reminds me I need to start reading those again. The author is really brilliant at writing~ But it is quite tricky to read them if you don't know where to get fantranslations or do not want to read fantranslations - official English translations are non-existent at the moment, though Yen Press has finally announced that they've licensed Durarara!! this year. I don't even want to start thinking of how long they'll take to catch up to the Japanese books, though... I bet the second series of books will be finished before the English is finished with the 13 novels of the first. It is guaranteed that the anime will cover all the novels before the official translations do - and I cannot express in words just how excited I am for that. (After the five year drought being rewarded with three seasons within two years is a great and wonderful thing.)

(Btw, SAO suffers from the same problem also. At this pace, the anime will most likely get up to the 12th novel and beyond before the official translations will - and fantranslations stopped when the official translations began. *sigh* *is frustrated that she needs to rely on anime to fulfil cliffhanger problems*)

As for Simon... I do not like Simon because he is particularly peaceful. More because he seems to be a strong character who doesn't get lost in rage like Shizuo does. He has more ... practicality? Less irritability also. Also, black Russian guy working at sushi bar in Ikebukuro. If that's not something interesting, what is?

*is now tempted to check out Working.* Worth watching at all?

Me too! Things going wrong are good because he's sort of a villain, after all.

You misunderstand, Nim :D I specifically like seeing things go wrong for Izaya, not because he is currently the more villainous character, but simply because it is Izaya. A frustrated Izaya is much more satisfying than a smug and satisfied Izaya. (He also gets more dangerous, but that's another thing.)
Am notified of private messages via email.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
Which reminds me I need to start reading those again. The author is really brilliant at writing~ But it is quite tricky to read them if you don't know where to get fantranslations or do not want to read fantranslations - official English translations are non-existent at the moment, though Yen Press has finally announced that they've licensed Durarara!! this year. I don't even want to start thinking of how long they'll take to catch up to the Japanese books, though... I bet the second series of books will be finished before the English is finished with the 13 novels of the first. It is guaranteed that the anime will cover all the novels before the official translations do - and I cannot express in words just how excited I am for that. (After the five year drought being rewarded with three seasons within two years is a great and wonderful thing.)

(Btw, SAO suffers from the same problem also. At this pace, the anime will most likely get up to the 12th novel and beyond before the official translations will - and fantranslations stopped when the official translations began. *sigh* *is frustrated that she needs to rely on anime to fulfil cliffhanger problems*)

As for Simon... I do not like Simon because he is particularly peaceful. More because he seems to be a strong character who doesn't get lost in rage like Shizuo does. He has more ... practicality? Less irritability also. Also, black Russian guy working at sushi bar in Ikebukuro. If that's not something interesting, what is?

*is now tempted to check out Working.* Worth watching at all?

Completely support you on the novels, I was eagerly reading chapter by chapter as they were translated on Livejournal (yes it still exists) I even remember printing them out in school and reading, as I didn't have such things as tablets and e-readers, and my eyes hurt from reading on the laptop. Ah, good times...You have to admit tho, we had a bit of a wait I mean it has been what 5 years since the 1st season of the anime came out! I was beginning to loose hope, but now Oh Sweet Potato Lord we finally have it!! The novels also have their difference with the anime like Izaya's age and some behavioural points. I find it curious...When they do get their official translations I am buying them all and locking myself inside with tea and no one to bother me, forsake food and daylight!
They do classify as supernatural Young Adult mystery crime novels, which I think is an amazing concept.

As for working if you want something funny and refreshing it is the thing for you, a must for Spring and Summer, it will definitely make you laugh a lot!! :D

Simon...reminds me of a russian friend of mine...He is not exactly like him...tis difficult to describe how ...gah I got myself confused.. .

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2015, 04:59:25 AM »
Simon...reminds me of a russian friend of mine...He is not exactly like him...tis difficult to describe how ...gah I got myself confused.. .

I think you are getting confused because of the Russian nature.  Your friend is much more like Shizuo than Simon.

I didn't even know there were official translations of the SAO novels.  YaY for another timesink to add to the list.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2015, 06:22:43 AM »
I think you are getting confused because of the Russian nature.  Your friend is much more like Shizuo than Simon.

Yes, okay fair point, but somehow I don't see him dying his hair, but would explain why I am friends with him...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
You forget that I have a picture of him with dyed hair.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #281 on: April 11, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
I noticed that so much Ghibli stuff has gotten put up, and I wanted to share my *tiny* collection too!

so pretty

I understand a disc is missing I was watching Totoro, for the hundredth time

I have such beautiful sheets
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
Oh Deer! (haha)

I don't understand, is it a collection of most movies from studio Ghibli ?
I'm missing a few (Pom poko, Cat returns, Porco Rosso and anything more recent then Ponyo) but I adore anything they made! Especially anything Mayasaki had a hand in.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
Oh Deer! (haha)

I don't understand, is it a collection of most movies from studio Ghibli ?
I'm missing a few (Pom poko, Cat returns, Porco Rosso and anything more recent then Ponyo) but I adore anything they made! Especially anything Mayasaki had a hand in.

It's a collection of 19 movies made from Studio Ghibli, with all of the popular ones. Each disc has 3 movies on it, and I have to say. It's probably my favorite movie collection I have :3
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:17 AM »
hi im back again!! has anyone here watched cencoroll?? *_______* i watched it a few years ago and its still VERY GOOD....its a sci-fi/fantasy short film set in a modern setting and Boy Howdy it is such a gem...!! im still waiting for the sequel aaaaAAA ILL WAIT FOREVER ___(:'''3/L)_____ definitely definitely recommend, one of my favorite pieces of animation hhh

ALSO HOW IS NO ONES FAV DRRR CELTY LIKE.....MY WIFE...