Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76631 times)

Koeshi

• Scout
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
Oh gosh... I watched the film  D:
No no no no no no no no.
Never again.

But have you read the manga?  It is so much better.

I heard of Madoka, I'll put it on the watchlist. Akira I know and it properly scarred me as well.

How did it scar you?  If it was emotionally you might want to be cautious going into Madoka as well.  Though I would recommend not reading up on it in advance, not knowing makes the series so much better.  Can't comment on the film adaptations though as I have not seen them yet.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:55 AM »
Apparently the first two films were just a recap of the show.

That last film, though... It messed everything up.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2015, 05:07:17 AM »
Yeah I haven't heard much positive about the films, part of the reason why I have not gotten around to watching them yet.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
Also, if you guys like Gurren, you guys know Kill La Kill? (you probably do) Similar artstyle, and a little less scarring. Very weird series and sadly a lot of fanservice you have to ignore, but the story is interesting, in my opinion.
I think Kill la Kill was produced by some former employees of Gainax, the studio behind Gurren. The fanservice material (both male and female) is very apparent but after watching a couple of episodes it just gets cliched enough to seem normal. Maybe that's the intention. As for the story I feel it's great for the first 3/4ths and then tapers off, at least compared to Gurren.

mureena

• Super-Newbie
  • sadly i am only an eel
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »
Relating to PMMM I can confirm the first two movies were just a recap of the tv-series (with a bigger budget, tho).

I've heard various opinions about the third movie but I personally liked it. (It made me dislike Homura but let's not spoil anything.) Some people have said the third movie would be an alternative universe of kind? So everyone doesn't even count it as canon.

For other heartbreaking magical girl animes I can recommend Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de aru. It's short like Madoka and hurts just as bad.
can do: :finland::uk:
studied but lmao: :sweden::spain::russia::vaticancity::china:
would love to: :japan:

tumblah

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2015, 07:04:01 AM »
But have you read the manga?  It is so much better.

How did it scar you?  If it was emotionally you might want to be cautious going into Madoka as well.  Though I would recommend not reading up on it in advance, not knowing makes the series so much better.  Can't comment on the film adaptations though as I have not seen them yet.

(I was joking a little about the scarring, It was mostly the mutating bodyparts I remember) I think I'll be okay watching Madoka. With Akira it was the artstyle that made it difficult to watch, it is brilliant but just so good at depicting the suffering/violence. I was also a little younger when I watched it to. ;)

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:05 AM »
I have now completed all available anime episodes and manga chapters and Spare Bike chapters of Yowamushi Pedal.

My life is sad now.

*deep, deep sigh* On with the waiting game...

...I should probably continue Gurren Lagann now...

...and maybe watch some Baccano. For such a Durarara!! fangirl, it's a lacking quality that I haven't seen it yet D:<
Am notified of private messages via email.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:38 AM »

...I should probably continue Gurren Lagann now...

...and maybe watch some Baccano. For such a Durarara!! fangirl, it's a lacking quality that I haven't seen it yet D:<

WHAAAT?! You haven't finished Gurren Lagann yeeet? *pushes Lenny towards the series*

Hmm I should watch Baccano too, since I'm also a big Durarara fangirl. Someday...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »
Baccano is pretty different from Durarara. It's hard to put a finger on it but aside from the obvious (21st century Tokyo vs early 20th century New York) they have a very different feel both plotwise and pace-wise.

That being said I've decided to go ahead with watching Durarara Season 2 without recapping. In full HD no less.

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Haibane Renmei is my favorite anime of all time. You can currently watch it for free on Hulu.   ;D

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:23 PM »
With Akira it was the artstyle that made it difficult to watch, it is brilliant but just so good at depicting the suffering/violence. I was also a little younger when I watched it to. ;)

Yeah the animation for the film wasn't great.  Like I said the manga is much better.  It also really develops characters that just got skimmed over in the film.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
Yeah the animation for the film wasn't great.  Like I said the manga is much better.  It also really develops characters that just got skimmed over in the film.
I thought the animation was incredible.  All those effects, done entirely by hand... just... awesome.  I just... couldn't deal with all the gore.
Feel free to PM.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2015, 06:35:07 AM »
Well I can't really comment on that then, I've seen too much real gore for drawings of it to really register.

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
Everybody here who liked Durara and can stomach some mild gore/blood, seriously, I recommend with all my heart that you all watch Baccano. The series is short and the episodes so action pact that you can binge it in a short time. Should I advertize the series a little? Monsters, trains, maffia, guns, did I forget monsters?   ;D (Yes, yes I am a Baccano fangirl, that is right.) Oh and the same animation you know and love from Durarara.  ::)

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
Everybody here who liked Durara and can stomach some mild gore/blood, seriously, I recommend with all my heart that you all watch Baccano. The series is short and the episodes so action pact that you can binge it in a short time. Should I advertize the series a little? Monsters, trains, maffia, guns, did I forget monsters?   ;D (Yes, yes I am a Baccano fangirl, that is right.) Oh and the same animation you know and love from Durarara.  ::)

Already watching it! It's a bit different from Durarara!! in that it's darker and more quick-paced, plus yanno, different time period, different continent... But the theme of lives meeting, mixing, etc, is still there, the lovable characters are still there, the being twisted and sick is still there... so worth a watch.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: