Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76629 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
Out of interest though, what do you consider an example of Anime BS in FMA?
This.  I suggested that one specifically because I thought it didn't have any.  Is it just, like, when they get all tiny and cartoony and out-of-proportion?
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »
This.  I suggested that one specifically because I thought it didn't have any.  Is it just, like, when they get all tiny and cartoony and out-of-proportion?
I thought long and hard on it and the only thing I can point a finger at myself (for being cliche) is the ninjas and the little Xingese girl with the dwarf panda.

Maybe also Envy.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
Indeed i spent around 70% watching it lieing in my bed 25% to sleep and around 5% to cook food and do other stuff.

In terms of anime BS i guess this is more "Silly anime BS" with the charicters changing to more poorly drawn to display emotion better and things like that. Didn't really bother me and i actually started to somewhat enjoy it towards the end so yeah i guess my intecration to the borg is complete.  :D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
Indeed i spent around 70% watching it lieing in my bed 25% to sleep and around 5% to cook food and do other stuff.

In terms of anime BS i guess this is more "Silly anime BS" with the charicters changing to more poorly drawn to display emotion better and things like that. Didn't really bother me and i actually started to somewhat enjoy it towards the end so yeah i guess my intecration to the borg is complete.  :D
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Cartoony effects (if that sums up your aversions) kind of define anime as a genre, especially when it's supposed to be comedic.
I can't think of many animes that are totally devoid of it, but there are of course exceptions, like AoT (where it would just ruin the mood). I believe Black Lagoon and Death Note are also stingy with the artistic effects.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »
Yeah i think they are just fine and quite useful to break up the doom and gloom. Really only thing that makes me sad is the fact that they won't be following up on the ending. Would have been intrsting to see Xing and the other countries and the adventures to follow.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
Really only thing that makes me sad is the fact that they won't be following up on the ending. Would have been intrsting to see Xing and the other countries and the adventures to follow.
Slim chance of this I'm afraid. Hiromu Arakawa (the author) is now working on a series about a farming high school (which is, to put it mildly, very different).

But if you're looking for more animes to watch then I think you might find Death Note to your liking - or at least worthy of a closer examination. I promise very little over-the-top silliness.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
Slim chance of this I'm afraid. Hiromu Arakawa (the author) is now working on a series about a farming high school (which is, to put it mildly, very different).

But if you're looking for more animes to watch then I think you might find Death Note to your liking - or at least worthy of a closer examination. I promise very little over-the-top silliness.
Others in that same serious vein (serious tone, no silly things)

Mushishi
Haibane Renmei
Samurai Champloo
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »

Mushishi
Haibane Renmei
Samurai Champloo
Also, Afro Samurai.  Samuel L. Jackson does the main voice, I think. 

Conversely, if you want something silly and dumb, watch something like Space Dandy or One Piece. 
Haven't watched Space Dandy, yet, but I cannot recommend One Piece enough.  It is the best show in the universe oh my gosha;slkdfkja;slfjapourtnv.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2015, 06:47:08 PM »

Mushishi
Haibane Renmei
Samurai Champloo
Samurai Champloo I've read, and I like it for it's silly plots. The russian samurai in particular is hilarious.

but I cannot recommend One Piece enough.  It is the best show in the universe oh my gosha;slkdfkja;slfjapourtnv.
Let's not forget that there is plenty of "Anime BS" in One Piece  :P
Where are you at in the series at this point?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »
Samurai Champloo I've read, and I like it for it's silly plots. The russian samurai in particular is hilarious.
Let's not forget that there is plenty of "Anime BS" in One Piece  :P
Where are you at in the series at this point?
Yes, but I love it.
I'm waiting for Dressrosa to finish up so I can binge watch it.  There will be one glorious weekend, and many depressing days that follow.  :B
I've considered reading the manga, but ultimately I just like animation too much.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
Yes, but I love it.
I'm waiting for Dressrosa to finish up so I can binge watch it.  There will be one glorious weekend, and many depressing days that follow.  :B
I've considered reading the manga, but ultimately I just like animation too much.
Gotta be contrarian about that, the anime is just way too stretched out for me  :P
You might be in for a long wait though, the manga is still in the middle of the action (which I won't spoil). Did you watch the latests movies though, Strong World and Film Z?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
Gotta be contrarian about that, the anime is just way too stretched out for me  :P
You might be in for a long wait though, the manga is still in the middle of the action (which I won't spoil). Did you watch the latests movies though, Strong World and Film Z?
It is, but... the animation is just fun to watch.  ;_;  The struggle is real.
I haven't.  I haven't watched any of the movies, actually.  ???  Not sure why...
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
It is, but... the animation is just fun to watch.  ;_;  The struggle is real.
I haven't.  I haven't watched any of the movies, actually.  ???  Not sure why...
Well, get a hold of those two if you can, preferably in full HD. Oda was involved in the production so they're really worth watching. There's even some timeskip debuts that haven't been seen in the anime.

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »
And Strong world is actually part of canon! Sadly Film Z has inconsistency with the manga (that I have heard), but I cannot wait to watch it just to see time skip character designs~
Also Dressrosa is soooo long! I applaud you Eich for waiting it out. Can't wait to get to it in the anime (looking at the pre-timeskip movies right now since we are at impel down), still waiting for stuff to happen in the manga....

As for "serious, no nonsense" anime, I do not recommend Samourai Champloo, it has its way goofy moments (still very good watch so do watch it anyway)
If you do not mind gory stuff (not too much but still there) I do like Ergo Proxy and a favorite "no-one-seems-to-know-about-it" is Boogiepop Phantom. Very special stuff in the last one, it's different. There is also Chrono Crusade, but its a little weird, don't remember if there's much comedy in it....

I'm a big fan of comedy in what I watch, if it gets too serious I lose interest (some exceptions). Might be way I would also say Death Note is good, but in the end of it I really preferred the first "season". So much more humor, less death-y.
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2015, 02:28:37 AM »
Okay, so last week and maybe the one before that, since I last posted here, I finished Gurren Lagann, Kamisama Hajimemashita (yes, I do watch some shoujos every now and then), and uh... Well, just those. Watching Angel Beats! right now. And I suppose I have some series to finish after that.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: