Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76640 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Sooo I finished watching Kyoukai no Kanata, and started watching Durarara. Regarding the second... It's weird. Very, very weird  :o
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Sooo I finished watching Kyoukai no Kanata, and started watching Durarara. Regarding the second... It's weird. Very, very weird  :o
What's so weird about Durarara?

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Sooooo... Anyone watched Wakfu?
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
I've also heard that Durarara is wierd... I have yet to take it up to check.... art looks good though~

I've not seen Wakfu, but I was a fan of the artist who started it (I think?) and tried the game, but for some reason It did not appeal to me much...
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Nimphy

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
What's so weird about Durarara?

It... it... Uh... so there's this little guy transferring to Tokyo and there are gangs and dullahans on motorbikes, and a blondie throwing vending machines at someone who apparently likes humans, and this stalker who disappeared plus this other guy with a girl with a scar and and and there is no sense to it all! *keeps watching, by now she's been drawn in*

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »
It... it... Uh... so there's this little guy transferring to Tokyo and there are gangs and dullahans on motorbikes, and a blondie throwing vending machines at someone who apparently likes humans, and this stalker who disappeared plus this other guy with a girl with a scar and and and there is no sense to it all! *keeps watching, by now she's been drawn in*

Well, yeah, that's the basic premise of Durarara, but it's not that weird compared to e.g. One Piece which has Prison Drag clubs and fishnet-stocking wearing hoodlums.

Nimphy

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
Well, yeah, that's the basic premise of Durarara, but it's not that weird compared to e.g. One Piece which has Prison Drag clubs and fishnet-stocking wearing hoodlums.

I never said that One Piece was not weird. Durarara may be weird, but One Piece redefines weirdness and gives it a whole new meaning.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
I tend to like the less weird and less hyper series. I prefer subtitles, I blame growing up in :finland:.

My partial list, off the top of my head:
-Anything by Miyazaki, ever.
-The Ghost in the Shell franchise.
-Guardian of the Spirit (?????? Seirei no Moribito)
-Acquired taste, but the Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars series.
-Black Lagoon
-Planetes
-Haibane Renmei
-Mushishi

Fun, but maybe less good:
-Darker than Black
-Full Metal Panic, which for some reason I find really funny.
-Samurai Champloo
-Baccano

There are plenty of titles that have been very influential. Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tenchi Muyo, Elfen Lied, etc. which I mostly left off the list because I either didn't like the way they ended, didn't like them in general, find them now quite dated, or found them to be pretty extreme in violence or other aspects to make a general recommendation. There are also tons of anime which I haven't watched, and may be the bestest thing ever. And a ton I just can't think of right now.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
I tend to like the less weird and less hyper series. I prefer subtitles, I blame growing up in :finland:.

-Black Lagoon
-Planetes
-Haibane Renmei
-Mushishi

-Darker than Black
-Samurai Champloo
-Baccano

I looooved Haibane Renmei! It's such an underrated series <3
Also watched a few episodes of Mushishi and I love the idea/aesthetic of it but it can was a little squicky for me because of all the insect-looking things...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »

-Black Lagoon
-Planetes
-Haibane Renmei
-Mushishi

-Darker than Black
-Samurai Champloo
-Baccano

There are plenty of titles that have been very influential. Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tenchi Muyo, Elfen Lied, etc. which I mostly left off the list because I either didn't like the way they ended, didn't like them in general, find them now quite dated, or found them to be pretty extreme in violence or other aspects to make a general recommendation. There are also tons of anime which I haven't watched, and may be the bestest thing ever. And a ton I just can't think of right now.
It has to be said that Black Lagoon is plenty violent. What makes it good is how super original it is.

UFOO9000

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • I'm Fluffy
  • Preferred pronouns: Don't care, have fun!
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
"New" "old" "favorite" manga of the moment : Yowamushi Pedal. I got Lenny into it too (and recommend Eyeshield 21).

Sadly only 30 volumes of 37 scanlated and its still ongoing (yay)
It's amazing! Story is very stereotypical for a sports manga, but the characters are amazing! And the art is weird and funky at times but after getting used to it I find it amazing. Also Spiders and Creeps! (Lenny will know)
I <3 Cats, Chats, katter, neko, gato.
:canada: :france: :uk: :denmark: :spain: :japan:

I have this thing where I vanish for weeks and sometimes months. PM me and I'll be back for you~

Deirdre

« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2015, 05:05:45 AM »
I looooved Haibane Renmei! It's such an underrated series <3
Also watched a few episodes of Mushishi and I love the idea/aesthetic of it but it can was a little squicky for me because of all the insect-looking things...
I've just lately had time to finish watching Mushishi and found it really lovely despite my aversion to insect-y creatures (maybe it's not that big in the end). I remember some of my friends trying to convince me to Haibane Renmei, too, but all that angelical-ish staffage disturbed me a bit.
From others mentioned by Varjohaltia I've tried anime Neon Genesis Evangelion and manga Elfen Lied (didn't make it to the end of both), and also Death Note, that I enjoyed at first, than found extremely tiring, but I really liked the ending, and I feel quite isolated with that opinion.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:34 AM »
"New" "old" "favorite" manga of the moment : Yowamushi Pedal. I got Lenny into it too (and recommend Eyeshield 21).

Sadly only 30 volumes of 37 scanlated and its still ongoing (yay)
It's amazing! Story is very stereotypical for a sports manga, but the characters are amazing! And the art is weird and funky at times but after getting used to it I find it amazing. Also Spiders and Creeps! (Lenny will know)

She totally did, and I also recommend it, wholeheartedly :D Very very good - I personally haven't come across any sports manga like it. Read all available chapters in 2 days straight (all 234 of them, haha). The story is pretty common (I mean, sports is sports, there's no way a sports manga plot can be unique >.>), but MAN the characters are just amazing, they grab you totally.

I personally LOVE the art, but I'm a sucker for weird and funky and slightly sketchy art with lots of movement and life in it ;) Maybe for a shoujo romance it wouldn't do, but it's just perfect for a manga like this.

It's got an anime, too - which has cleaner art than the manga, if that's annoying you. I myself like the manga art more, so... but the anime is still extremely funny, characterizes the characters perfectly, and is a lot of good fun ;) I recommend it.

Also, Fimbulvarg and Solovei got me into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. If anyone other than me hasn't heard of this thing yet (I seem to be a bit unique in that aspect - didn't know it existed until a few days ago), check. it. OUT. SO much fun. And feels. And magnificence.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2015, 05:19:26 AM »
I've just lately had time to finish watching Mushishi and found it really lovely despite my aversion to insect-y creatures (maybe it's not that big in the end). I remember some of my friends trying to convince me to Haibane Renmei, too, but all that angelical-ish staffage disturbed me a bit.
From others mentioned by Varjohaltia I've tried anime Neon Genesis Evangelion and manga Elfen Lied (didn't make it to the end of both), and also Death Note, that I enjoyed at first, than found extremely tiring, but I really liked the ending, and I feel quite isolated with that opinion.

Haibane Renmei is a really short, really calming sort of anime. It's not as disturbing as you might think, and just... well, if you want to spend some time in a different, slightly sad world, it's nice to watch. I wouldn't put it at the top of any lists, though. Don't feel like you're missing something absolutely brilliant if you don't watch it - it isn't that ;)

If you liked Mushishi, try out Natsume Yuujinchou. It has the same feeling, though with a younger protagonist, and a slightly different sort of world.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2015, 05:29:38 AM »
Also, Fimbulvarg and Solovei got me into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. If anyone other than me hasn't heard of this thing yet (I seem to be a bit unique in that aspect - didn't know it existed until a few days ago), check. it. OUT. SO much fun. And feels. And magnificence.
You're welcome! Also, considering that you're already at, what, episode 15 or something I think it's safe to say that TTGL is amazing!