Author Topic: Anime Discussion  (Read 76651 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Anime Discussion
« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2016, 12:15:45 PM »
I forgot to recommend a good upset-material! Simoun is an amazing anime that deals with topics such as gender and religion, although I might warn there's a lot of seemingly girl-girl kisses included in it. In the world of Simoun everyone's born female, and depending on the country the selection to two genders is either done for people while they're still babies and cannot therefore consent, or the choice is given to the people themselves. They'll have to decide whether they want to become male or female, and they have to do this at age 15.

To add a bit of challenge, stepping into the selection process and failing to choose fast enough means that the selection will be made for you and it cannot be reversed. Since this selection process can be difficult, those who don't yet know their gender can apply to become sibyllae, flying priestesses, and gain a few extra years while writing prayers to the skies... except then a war breaks out and the priestesses who, like mentioned, signed up to offer prayers are suddenly forced to fight a war, kill and watch their fellow sibyllae fall. FUN TIMES, NOT AT ALL. Btw this is just the point where the story begins so I haven't spoilered anything. Simoun is such an underrated anime but to me it's always been a masterpiece.

Opening tune here. I love the Simoun (those flying aircrafts) especially!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:21:29 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Nietos

« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
Yesssss Simoun is so good. It's been years I saw it, I really need to rewatch it. I initially assumed the setting would just be an excuse to have a bunch of cute girls on screen but nope, the series takes its setting seriously and does really interesting things with it.
Also it's just a very good series with interesting characters and good plot and ahhhh my emotions aaaaaahhhh ;____;

Another really good series that will make you cry I'd recommend is From the New World / Shinsekai Yori. It's a compelling fantasy mystery/drama with some horror elements thrown in. It's set a few hundred years after people acquired psychic powers in the modern day. The main characters start out as children living in a seemingly perfect village where everybody lives in harmony, with war and violence eradicated from the world, but it soon becomes clear there's something very wrong behind the scenes... and it's not limited to the monsters lurking in the outside world.
Here's the first ending theme. The art style is much more stylized than the series in general, but the it captures the feeling of the series quite nicely.

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #422 on: March 15, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »
I finished watching Himouto! Umaru-chan yesterday. It's a funny and adorable slice of life anime and I like it a lot.
I'm not sure what I'll watch next, probably something that catches my attention on Crunchyroll. My "plan to watch" list on myanimelist is very long but unfortunately most of the anime on it is not easily available. (¬_¬)
Pretentious? Moi?

frenci

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • too lazy to type, too shy to talk
« Reply #423 on: March 22, 2016, 05:01:39 AM »
I watched Osomatsu-san EP 24
Please send help
And tale awaymy feels.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
TTATT
I can't deal with this
Talks: :italy: :uk: :slovenia:
Learning: :spain: :norway:

SilverTiger

• Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2016, 06:23:36 AM »
Since a lot of people keep commenting on my icons, I figured I should post here: my absolute favorite anime/manga is Mushi-shi. The guy in my icon is Ginko, who is arguably both the main character and the character who matters least in the story. It's a very interesting anime, very quiet and low-key, and is mostly about normal people whose lives are interrupted by a bit of the strange; something a little unsettling, a little creepy, or sometimes even a little wonderful spilling into their otherwise mundane and ordinary world.

If you want to watch it, season one is on Youtube, in both English and Japanese; it's even put up by Funimation themselves, so you don't need to worry about watching it illegally or that it will be taken down! Season two is on both Crunchyroll and Netflix, though that one is just in Japanese, alas (I like Ginko's English voice a lot, heh).

Oh and if you're wondering to watch the anime or read the manga, go for the anime. They're honestly exactly the same, though the order of the episodes is mixed up (though with a canon like Mushi-shi, that doesn't matter at all I promise. It's very episodic in a way that doesn't make you frustrated or bored) the anime has the most gorgeous scenery you'll ever see and a musical score that will make you weep. And people speak very soothingly and quietly, I could just fall asleep to it sometimes XD
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:25:44 AM by SilverTiger »

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2016, 07:51:38 AM »
Since a lot of people keep commenting on my icons, I figured I should post here: my absolute favorite anime/manga is Mushi-shi. The guy in my icon is Ginko, who is arguably both the main character and the character who matters least in the story. It's a very interesting anime, very quiet and low-key, and is mostly about normal people whose lives are interrupted by a bit of the strange; something a little unsettling, a little creepy, or sometimes even a little wonderful spilling into their otherwise mundane and ordinary world.
To be honest, the first thing I saw, before reading what you've written in the introduction thread, was your icon ::) If I had to chose only one anime, it would be Mushishi <3 *Saw it in Japanese with English subtitles the first time because she hadn't found better, and was less good with English around 8 years ago, but wanted to continue discovering it anyway*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #426 on: April 07, 2016, 01:24:56 AM »
HEY MAMORU HOSODA FANS WHERE U AT

his newest work the boy and the beast is out and oh my lord is it beautiful! for me it immediately dethroned wolf children as my favorite of his films and i cried A LOT at it - not only is it gorgeously animated but it had so many shots that really felt like they made an impact on me (i had to pause it a few times and collect myself bc i was losing it but that might just be because i was hyping myself up for it as soon as i saw the promo poster, or maybe just because the movie overall feels very close to my heart);; i feel like his films are always exceptional at showing relationships and small moments and interactions that really make characters seem real, and this was absolutely no exception; i also really loved the character designs and fluid fight choreography, and i always really like how they handle colors and atmosphere; it has its moments of melodrama but i loved it overall and the soundtrack (although i dont think it quite lived up to wolf children) was still lovely and made scenes that much better, whether they were lively and upbeat or softer and ethereal IM LIT RAMBLING I LOVE THIS MOVIE IM DYING

PLOT IS: kyuuta the human boy gets lost in the beast realm and becomes the disciple of kumatetsu, who is training to compete to become the next grand master;; it mainly focuses on their relationship and progress, until kyuuta finds his way back to the human world again; i dont really want to say too much because i really think yall should give it a watch, it is phenomenal and i love it im dying im dead

and heres some stills from it because it is beautiful and i want to convince you to watch it (AND IF U HAVE HIT ME UP BC IM STILL CRYING)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:26:38 AM by callipygous »

Bo Lindbergh

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2016, 07:56:41 PM »
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri just started airing. It features people living in fortified enclaves to protect themselves from infectious aggressive former humans. The enclaves are connected by railways. Somehow, this reminds me of something....

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #428 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
HEY MAMORU HOSODA FANS WHERE U AT

his newest work the boy and the beast is out and oh my lord is it beautiful! for me it immediately dethroned wolf children as my favorite of his films and i cried A LOT at it - not only is it gorgeously animated but it had so many shots that really felt like they made an impact on me (i had to pause it a few times and collect myself bc i was losing it but that might just be because i was hyping myself up for it as soon as i saw the promo poster, or maybe just because the movie overall feels very close to my heart);; i feel like his films are always exceptional at showing relationships and small moments and interactions that really make characters seem real, and this was absolutely no exception; i also really loved the character designs and fluid fight choreography, and i always really like how they handle colors and atmosphere; it has its moments of melodrama but i loved it overall and the soundtrack (although i dont think it quite lived up to wolf children) was still lovely and made scenes that much better, whether they were lively and upbeat or softer and ethereal IM LIT RAMBLING I LOVE THIS MOVIE IM DYING

PLOT IS: kyuuta the human boy gets lost in the beast realm and becomes the disciple of kumatetsu, who is training to compete to become the next grand master;; it mainly focuses on their relationship and progress, until kyuuta finds his way back to the human world again; i dont really want to say too much because i really think yall should give it a watch, it is phenomenal and i love it im dying im dead

Wolf Children has been on my "anime to watch" list for a while. Based on the clips you posted I'll add this one to the list and move them both up to the top, thanks.
Do you know if either of these are on NetFlix by chance??

I went to the Funimation site and it was released in early March but seems to have disappeared now. The big box store are taking pre-orders for a June release. I didn't try to see if you could buy it from Funimation sooner. I'll look into that when I get home tonight.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:38:49 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #429 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
his newest work the boy and the beast is out and oh my lord is it beautiful!
ok that was a masterpiece

I was just gonna see if I felt in the mood for watching it, pause it and get some tea or something, but then I just sat through the entire film without pausing it once? ? ? ? ? and it was so good
you'll know where to find me.

callipygous

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • im gonna appropriate bro culture and make it gay
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her+they/them
« Reply #430 on: April 08, 2016, 03:32:13 PM »
Wolf Children has been on my "anime to watch" list for a while. Based on the clips you posted I'll add this one to the list and move them both up to the top, thanks.
Do you know if either of these are on NetFlix by chance??
!!!! IM GLAD!!! wolf children and boy and the beast are both lovely (as are all of mamoru hosodas films WINKS), youll have to let us know what you think once you watch them!! >:3c i do hope you enjoy them theyre both really excellent dhsfsd
i dont think either of them are on netflix, unfortunately, but i do know theyre both on kissanime! (wolf children | boy and the beast) wolf children has a sub and a dub, i personally prefer the former but the dub is still pretty dang good!
Quote from: Haiz
ok that was a masterpiece

I was just gonna see if I felt in the mood for watching it, pause it and get some tea or something, but then I just sat through the entire film without pausing it once? ? ? ? ? and it was so good
ITS SO GOOD i want to yell abt it to everyone, forever, breaks into an ambulance and softly but insistently toots horn, there is so much good about it i want to YELL

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »
!!!! IM GLAD!!! wolf children and boy and the beast are both lovely (as are all of mamoru hosodas films WINKS), youll have to let us know what you think once you watch them!! >:3c i do hope you enjoy them theyre both really excellent dhsfsd
i dont think either of them are on netflix, unfortunately, but i do know theyre both on kissanime! (wolf children | boy and the beast) wolf children has a sub and a dub, i personally prefer the former but the dub is still pretty dang good!ITS SO GOOD i want to yell abt it to everyone, forever, breaks into an ambulance and softly but insistently toots horn, there is so much good about it i want to YELL

I'll try the kissanime tonight.

Wow, Wow, and WOW!!!!!!  "ok that was a masterpiece" to quote Haiz. I couldn't agree more.
Did you all catch that in the very last scene with the Grandmaster where they're toasting, that the figure to the right of the Grandmaster is the King of Cats from Studio Ghibli's The Cat Returns ?
I'll be getting this when it's released for sure. Thank you callipygous for making me/us aware of it and suggesting where to view it!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:18:17 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #432 on: April 09, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
I recently watched wolfchildren (it is still available on nrk for some reason) and it was really great. Yet I fear the next movie has to wait a little if I take a look at all the other projects...

Bo Lindbergh: Is Koutetsujou no Kabaneri recommendable? From the introduction I was not really hooked but now that you mention it.

Also we have a nice Introduction Topic over here. You might get offered cookies over there ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #433 on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:53 AM »
I just watched the first episode of Kabaneri Of the Iron Fortress, and it looks pretty good. Sorta like a steampunk SSSS with everyone trying to escape the disease by cleansing everything and hiding in the safe areas. There's even a Dalahasten! It's a tad graphic on the blood and there is a bit of nudity when they're checking for infected, but its not too bad on that front. Check it out! It is relatively new though, so there's nothing past the first episode. New episodes every thursday I think.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #434 on: April 14, 2016, 02:42:57 AM »
I just watched the first episode of Kabaneri Of the Iron Fortress, and it looks pretty good. Sorta like a steampunk SSSS with everyone trying to escape the disease by cleansing everything and hiding in the safe areas. There's even a Dalahasten! It's a tad graphic on the blood and there is a bit of nudity when they're checking for infected, but its not too bad on that front. Check it out! It is relatively new though, so there's nothing past the first episode. New episodes every thursday I think.

Hm, interesting. The first episode doesn't exactly draw me in either, but there's zombie-things and I like the steam punk look of it so I think I'll wait and watch some more.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: