Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81589 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #420 on: September 14, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »
Laufey Looks pretty good so far! Too bad the tablet weave idea didn't work out, but this looks like it'll be a great solution.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #421 on: September 14, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »
I'm still not understanding how you can do that after years and years and having see girls doing some with the... card-thing when we were in medieval reconstruction, but your result is promising, Laufey :)

The card-thing is tablet-weaving, and it's really interesting to watch a good weaver at work. Both techniques can be used to create amazing patterns!

Laufey Looks pretty good so far! Too bad the tablet weave idea didn't work out, but this looks like it'll be a great solution.

In a way this might even be a slightly better solution since it takes me less time to weave with a pirta. I mean I always say I'm a cosplay masochist but that's actually a lie, I don't like the pain at all... :-\
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #422 on: September 14, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
So what did I waste all my free time this weekend on? Learning to make ribbon out of thin wool yarn, that's what. It's for cosplay purposes but as this part is still very generic I'm plopping it here in the Yarncrafters instead.

Here's the first attempt at weaving the trim ribbon. Well, I say first but I mean more like... first successful attempt. For sure the bin is full of failed ones because I had no idea what I was doing for most of the time, just that it was entirely possible to hand-weave ribbons like this and that I really wanted to make the uniform trims that way. My motto in life: "just because I don't know how to doesn't mean I won't die trying" (see: all my fight challenges thrown around on this forum).

A first attempt just learning basics, horribly uneven hand.

A close-up on the ribbon. The weave is still untidy but with a bit of practice I'm thinking it might work!

I originally considered tablet-weaving, but turned out the yarn I have is not strong enough for how the warp twists. Then I got to thinking of another Medieval ribbon-making technique, a bit younger but faster than tablet-weaving... you basically need a very simple kind of a loom (I didn't have one so I made one out of a piece of plastic box) for it. Finns call it a pirta, I'm not sure about the English term as I couldn't find it anywhere (if anyone knows it please share!).

This is how it looks on the other side, I'm still using a very simplistic technique where I'm only picking the pattern from the lower half of the warp. If you pick the pattern from both warp halves the sides will be identical, just the colours will switch.

This is pretty much how the process went. :D

Looks great!  And seems a very authentic technic to make the ribbons for cosplay.
The English name of this tool might be rigid heddle (?) - it's hard to tell, because obviously the Hungarian word popped in my mind first...

My motto in life: "just because I don't know how to doesn't mean I won't die trying"

This. You're not the only one with this motto!  ;)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #423 on: September 14, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »
The English name of this tool might be rigid heddle (?) - it's hard to tell, because obviously the Hungarian word popped in my mind first...
Google says you are right. :) And now I'm really curious and want to try, but the only weaving experience I have is with "shoebox looms" from elementary school... Do you think it'd be too difficult for a worse-than-beginner to make a rigid heddle and then weave something like that beautiful ribbon?
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #424 on: September 14, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
Helia: thank you, I did a little googling and you're right, rigid heddle it is!

Auleliel: well this might be a bit embarrassing but -

- at least I can say it isn't hard at all to make one. This one is made of polymer clay; it just came out of the oven so I can't say anything about its weaving qualities but anything's an improvement to my first piece. Besides if we're entirely honest here my main motivation behind making a new one was that the first one wasn't very nice looking. so... :-[

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #425 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

- at least I can say it isn't hard at all to make one. This one is made of polymer clay; it just came out of the oven so I can't say anything about its weaving qualities but anything's an improvement to my first piece. Besides if we're entirely honest here my main motivation behind making a new one was that the first one wasn't very nice looking. so... :-[
Wow, that is gorgeous! I hope it works well for you.
I might try to make a simple one then, and try this weaving thing out myself. :)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »

o_o

Hopefully it will work well, because it sure looks great!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
Laufey, that looks great! It does look like it is a pretty low-twist yarn, so I wouldn't be surprised it didn't do well as a warp. Another weaving method I thought of besides tablet weaving was inkle loom. It seems to produce long ribbons. Although it would need another piece of equipment and not one nearly as pretty and specialized as you now have. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2015, 09:54:53 AM »
Accidentally found a kimono with this pattern. I suppose it is made of fabric, but now can't stop thinking about how to knit it...

Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
A new carachter was born out of yarn  :)

I can't keep him though, he's Martti's. He doesen't need to travel a lot, but he have to cross a big, scary river and he will be freaked out.

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »

I can't keep him though, he's Martti's. He doesen't need to travel a lot, but he have to cross a big, scary river and he will be freaked out.

Ahahaha poor Onni! I'm sure he'll be fine but maybe Martti should let him recover indoors for a while after the trip. :D

(You're an amigurumi master.)

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2015, 03:03:53 PM »

ONNI <3

My love for Onni grows with each chapter, and this is just perfect.

Now I want Onni too... *grabby hands*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »

Oooooh! He's perfect!!
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #433 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »

dfléjnvcsalkfvféljlksjfglddfénsádaséafgjvkádőeofjfé.lcekgr
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*can't speak*
I will protect him and keep him safe as he is "relocated"~
I can't wait for it~ it is sooooo coool!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #434 on: September 20, 2015, 07:44:02 AM »

Very nice! =)
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19: