Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124224 times)

IKEA

Re: Books!
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »
Kiraly, I made my parents get the official Redwall cookbook so se could make all the recipies! If I remember, Turnip n' Tater n' Beetroot Poi was pretty good.
EDIT: we, not se
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:00:33 PM by IKEA »

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
Kiraly, I made my parents get the official Redwall cookbook so se could make all the recipies! If I remember, Turnip n' Tater n' Beetroot Poi was pretty good.

Nice! I seem to remember getting that from the library at some point, but I can't remember if it was before or after we had our feast. I'm sure part of the reason I didn't enjoy it is because I had never had beets before and it turns out I don't much like them. Ah, well.

Interestingly enough, the same friend who was my co-conspirator on that feast has now written the official Game of Thrones cookbook. I haven't actually read those, but the food is tasty. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
Interestingly enough, the same friend who was my co-conspirator on that feast has now written the official Game of Thrones cookbook. I haven't actually read those, but the food is tasty. :)

Be wary if you're asked to cater a wedding.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2016, 03:55:28 AM »
Read Lovecraft before sleeping = bad idea.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2016, 05:09:55 AM »
Lovecraft is definitely not lullaby material! At least he wrote some good drinking songs (I've made tunes for a couple of them, and sing them at feasts.)
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2016, 07:04:52 AM »
Lovecraft is definitely not lullaby material! At least he wrote some good drinking songs (I've made tunes for a couple of them, and sing them at feasts.)
I was thinking "It's two short novels, I can read just one..." but it was a bad idea. The Color out of Space is very... well, you see more than what is written.
But I had no idea he wrote something else :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2016, 07:38:18 AM »
Heh, Lovecraft before bed; there's always his stories set in the Dreamlands (notably the novella The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath), which are less horror and more fantasy.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
Meanwhile, I've started to read Neuromancer.

It's quite bleak.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
Mélusine: Lovecraft wrote short stories, novels/novellas, at least one verse-play (The Tomb), and scads and scads of poetry, much of it very good. I used to own a volume of his verse, can't remember the title, was it 'Fungi From Yuggoth'?

Another author to avoid at bedtime, though his work is brilliant: William Hope Hodgson, especially 'The House on the Borderland', a surprisingly modern horror/fantasy novel about an old house built around a dimensional portal. Both Lovecraft and Pratchett cited Hodgson as a seminal influence on their own writing, and a young Alfred Hitchcock was inspired to make the film 'In the Doldrums' by one of the short stories in Hodgson's 'The Boats of the Glen Carrig'.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
Mélusine: Lovecraft wrote short stories, novels/novellas, at least one verse-play (The Tomb), and scads and scads of poetry, much of it very good. I used to own a volume of his verse, can't remember the title, was it 'Fungi From Yuggoth'?

That would be right! Fungi from Yuggoth is one of the few of his works I've never got around to reading.

I got heavily into Lovecraft as a teenager. I would probably not be the rather strange person I am without his influence (this could be a good thing or a bad thing.. ;D )
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
Lovecraft is good for sleep. His heavy, clunky prose is a sure-fire way to fall asleep.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Mélusine

« Reply #206 on: March 13, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
Lovecraft is good for sleep. His heavy, clunky prose is a sure-fire way to fall asleep.
I have to disagree. For me, nothing is more a sure way to fall asleep than Marcel Proust.

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
Lovecraft is good for sleep.

You're only the second person I've encountered in my life who thinks that! The first was a baby-sitter who read it to a friend and I at bed time when we were very very young, and then got upset at us for refusing to sleep in our own beds after it. Still scares me too much to read alone at night; I've learned the hard way that even re-reading a story I know, that doesn't sound very frightening, is somehow still a bad idea.
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Mélusine

« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
The first was a baby-sitter who read it to a friend and I at bed time when we were very very young, and then got upset at us for refusing to sleep in our own beds after it.
O_o ... Some persons aren't made AT ALL to take care of young children.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
O_o ... Some persons aren't made AT ALL to take care of young children.
I have a hunch that Torbjörn might disagree. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15