Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124164 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Books!
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Hi, it's me Crumpite... (like you didn't know ;')

I just found a link to some weird Norwegian tales from the 1800's.
What I've read is pretty good, so any fans of weird might want to take a look at this.
All are pretty short, but creepy  :)

Enjoy !

Are they in English or Norwegian?

By the way, since you're new here (I see this was your first post) Welcome! You might want to post in the Introduction thread.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
They are translations from the Norwegian.
Though it lists the books titles in Norwegian for those who read it and a short bio of the author.

Thanks for the introduction thread idea, I'll do that.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
AHH one of my favourite authors released a new novel a few days ago, and it's so good. < 3

It's The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher, better known as Ursula Vernon. The novel is a re-telling of HCA's "The Snow Queen", with some adjustments, and it's just so lovely and atmospheric and witty and charming. *_*

Soooo for those who like fairytale retellings with talking animals, Nordic settings, lots of magic, and a dash of f/f romance, I do suggest reading this one. It's a quick read, but it's lovely. Released as ebook only, I'm afraid, as are many of Kingfisher's other novels, but oh well. (The website lists which sites have it available.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
AHH one of my favourite authors released a new novel a few days ago, and it's so good. < 3

It's The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher, better known as Ursula Vernon. The novel is a re-telling of HCA's "The Snow Queen", with some adjustments, and it's just so lovely and atmospheric and witty and charming. *_*

Soooo for those who like fairytale retellings with talking animals, Nordic settings, lots of magic, and a dash of f/f romance, I do suggest reading this one. It's a quick read, but it's lovely. Released as ebook only, I'm afraid, as are many of Kingfisher's other novels, but oh well. (The website lists which sites have it available.)

I LOVE Ursula Vernon! I haven't read that one yet, but I bought it for my kindle. Maybe when I'm finished with the book I'm in the middle of now...
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »
In high school, I was reading some Pratchett on the bus, laughing discreetly alone.
Years after, I re-read one of my first Pratchett on the train, laughing discreetly (or maybe less at a moment ::)) alone. It's pleasant to see some good things don't change.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
In high school, I was reading some Pratchett on the bus, laughing discreetly alone.
Years after, I re-read one of my first Pratchett on the train, laughing discreetly (or maybe less at a moment ::)) alone. It's pleasant to see some good things don't change.

This is one of my favorite things about Pratchett: he's one of the few authors that can make me laugh out loud. When my brothers and I started going through his books in high school, one of us would start laughing at something in the book and then read it out loud to the others. (I'm not very good at this because I laugh too hard and it's hard to tell what I'm saying, haha).
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

IKEA

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »
Umberto Eco died on Friday (RIP) so yesterday I started to read Foucault's Pendulum. So far it's really good, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries, conspiracies, or lots and lots of allusions.

IKEA

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
5 years and 1 month to the day since Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series, died. RIP to the man who got me hooked on reading.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2016, 01:23:50 AM »
…And here's where LooNEY_DAC kvetches and whinges about being part of small or passé fandoms.

Has anyone not related to me on this forum ever even heard of Eleanor Cameron? Jay Williams & Raymond Abrashkin? Hopefully more of you have heard of Stephen Manes, Clifford B. Hicks, E. W. Hildick and Donald J Sobol.

So much for the obscure children's series authors. Moving to sci-fi, I tend towards the originators: Jules Verne (in translation only, I'm afraid), and H. G. Wells (though I haven't managed to read most of his political and/or historical writings). In later sci-fi, I prefer "Doc" Smith's Lensman series (not so much his others, though), everything H. Beam Piper ever wrote, some Poul Anderson, some Harry Turtledove, most Timothy Zahn, and some Larry Niven.

I already mentioned Charlotte MacLeod as one of my old favorite mystery authors, and Erle Stanley Gardiner always delivers a pleasant read. I also enjoyed Michael Shaara's historical novel The Killer Angels and Jeff Shaara's sequels and prequels. I've always enjoyed Robert Louis Stevenson, Conan Doyle, and Baroness Orczy, and I'm currently exploring Dumas and Hugo. I have quite a bit left to go, though.

So, how alone am I?

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2016, 02:16:07 AM »
Not alone at all! Add D.K. Broster, Jeffrey Farnol, Rosemary Sutcliffe, Evangeline Walton (who did the most accessible retelling of the 'Mabinogi' tales I've read), Madeleine L'Engle, John Buchan, Gene Stratton-Porter, and Kipling's lovely science-fiction stories, including 'With the Night Mail'. Lots of other Kipling. William Hope Hodgson. Algernon Blackwood. Clark Ashton Smith. Maurice Walsh (who wrote, among other good things, the story on which the movie 'The Quiet Man' is based). And yes, H. Beam Piper, Poul Anderson, also William Morris and George MacDonald and Michael Scott Rohan.

And let us not forget George Turner, Cordwainer Smith and John J. Alderson!

EDIT: If you like detective and puzzle stories, how could I forget Poe's detective stories, Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael tales, and the satirical archaeological mysteries of Elizabeth Peters. Those are somewhat better for being read in sequence, so as to keep track of who are all the characters and how they relate to one another at particular points in the story, but 'The Last Camel Died at Noon' is a glorious send-up of a whole genre of adventure stories, as well as a ripping yarn in its own right.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:30:02 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
Surely no detective story list would be complete without Randall Garrett's Lord D'Arcy tales!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »
Yes, definitely Lord D'Arcy. I always liked his sidekick Master Sean. And Garrett wrote marvellous locked-room murder mysteries.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
Róisín I LOVE Elizabeth Peters! I don't often read mysteries but the Amelia Peabody books are gold. I agree about reading them in order, too...I definitely didn't, and some plot points/character arcs were sort of spoiled because of it.

Róisín

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
Another author I highly recommend is Dorothy Dunnett. Her 'Lymond' series is likely her most well-known work, but I also like her pure historical novels. 'King Hereafter' is an excellent take on the 'MacBeth' tale. LooNEY, I think you, in particular, would enjoy Dunnett's work. The novels are fast-paced, full of accurate historical detail, and the Lymond books in particular slide her characters seamlessly into the tapestry of history. The author is extremely erudite, but writes in such a way that the layers of learning are there for those of us who enjoy such things, but they lie very lightly on the story, and don't get in the way of the action. The language is pure gold. Again, the Lymond novels are best read in order, to get the full picture of what is going on. Great puzzle stories!

IKEA

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
Roisin: Any friend of Cordwainer Smith is a friend of mine! Also Robert Reed, Alan Steele, and some of Naomi Novik's stuff. Asimov's magizine is a great place to find new sci-fi writers.