Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124189 times)

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Books!
« Reply #690 on: July 16, 2019, 05:28:03 AM »
If any of you know the podcast the Bright Sessions, it really reminded me of it just more for adults and a lot darker.
Omg yes I love the Bright Sessions. I haven’t read any VE Schwab yet but was planning to so maybe I’ll start with Vengeful
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #691 on: November 09, 2019, 04:11:40 PM »
Omg yes I love the Bright Sessions. I haven’t read any VE Schwab yet but was planning to so maybe I’ll start with Vengeful

I've been reading a lot of her other books and I am addicted. I just finished the Shades of Magic series and I cried and I never cry from things like books or movies with a couple of very specific exceptions.

I've actually been reading a lot lately. I've read close to a book a day for the last month. The latest one I finished was rereading the Night Circus. I read it when it first came out, but I had to reread it because Erin Morgenstern just had a new book come out: The Starless Sea. I'm set to read that one next. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I was also wondering if anyone here has read anything by Sarah J Maas. Last week I also finished reading all of her books (I know. I've been reading a lot), and I have some thoughts I wanted to discuss and I was curious to hear if anyone else had some thoughts and wanted to discuss them with me. I've read some reader reviews and people either tend to really hate or love her books but I haven't had a chance to really talk with anyone about it except ranting to my partner (who hasn't read any of them XD). So if someone is interested I don't mind if you love or hate them I just wanted to hear what you have to say.

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #692 on: November 23, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
I just finished Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. Her SF books are, oh, so deeply human. It's a... luminous writing, full of... I don't even know how to explain it. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, her first one, made me cry at the end because it was absolutely touching. She writes humans, aliens, different genders, and there is something very positive in her stories. If you like SF, a well written one focused on characters and not so much on science, go for it, you shouldn't regret <3
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

steadfastjewel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they / them / theirs
« Reply #693 on: November 23, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »
oooh, Melusine, thank you for the recommendation! I myself have been on an Ursula K LeGuin tear recently, so other warm, personable sci-fi suggestions are always appreciated.

This week, I finished reading The Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin, not sci-fi). It's really refreshing to read a novel that's less than 150 pages! Short and sweet. I had to pace myself so as not to chew right through it. I've known of Earthsea by hearsay from childhood, and I must say reading as an adult has been delightful. I will certainly be continuing the series, even if they're 'for kids'  :P
 You know a book has put you in a proper dreamy headspace when you find yourself fumbling through the halls of your house in total darkness, feeling for the gaps in the walls like Tenar in her Labyrinth.

[This is my sixth(seventh?) LeGuin book this year, someone please hand me another author to break the spell]

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #694 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
Mélusine, sounds like a fascinating author, I have not met her work. Since a lot of my last few weeks has involved hurry-up-and-wait (lengthy medical appointments with long waits, bushfire evacuation and so forth) I have had more reading time than usual,  I borrowed two new books by favourite authors from my friend Liz, with whom we stayed while evacuated, and whose library is at least as eclectic as mine.

First, ‘Spotted Dog’ by Kerry Greenwood, who writes detective stories. Very good ones. She has several series, one set in the 1920s, one in the present day. Spotted Dog is one of the latter. Both her detectives are female, eccentric in different and original ways, and the tales are set in Melbourne, a city I know and love, and often feature both real locations and scattered through the stories a few real people whom I know, sometimes as themselves, sometimes lightly fictionalised. I enjoy both of her detective characters, but especially the one in this book, Corinna, who is a baker in inner-city Melbourne. Most of the stories revolve around food, as you may gather from the titles (spotted dog is a bread pudding dish, though this tale also involves an actual dog), and include easy and delicious recipes. The mysteries are good puzzle stories and play fair with the reader, which is another thing I enjoy. I just finished that one, and it was well worth the reading time.

Presently reading Charles de Lint’s ‘Spirits in the Wires’, which is SF/fantasy/what the hell is going on here puzzle story. Involving magic, computers, folklore, music, AI and a delightful group of ongoing characters who are creative people who also want to understand what is going on. De Lint’s stories often include music, both his original compositions and traditional music. Some of his books, especially ‘The Little Country’, include the written music the way Greenwood’s books include recipes.

Both writers appeal to me, since many of their tales follow my particular interests: food, folklore, magic, music and puzzles.

And le Guin is also a delight!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:30:13 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #695 on: November 23, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
I just finished Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers. Her SF books are, oh, so deeply human. It's a... luminous writing, full of... I don't even know how to explain it. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, her first one, made me cry at the end because it was absolutely touching. She writes humans, aliens, different genders, and there is something very positive in her stories. If you like SF, a well written one focused on characters and not so much on science, go for it, you shouldn't regret <3
I agree, they’re amazing. The characters are just so damn good, and I also really appreciate how they’re not on some big quest or trying to save the world or anything, they’re just... people. I feel like you often don’t get enough of that in sci-fi or fantasy these days. They’re the kind of books that make you feel warm inside.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Mélusine

« Reply #696 on: November 24, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »
I feel like you often don’t get enough of that in sci-fi or fantasy these days.
I like my SF or fantasy books like that, but I agree, it's rare to find some really out of the stereotypes of their kinds... often it doesn't "work" enough to continue being published when they're not "as the common readers want their stories". (Like Steph Swainston's The year of our war never being translated after the first book in France to my despair as a teenager...)
I was really glad to have discovered Becky Chambers and happy that her books are recognized as good :) and ended up crying talking about The long way to a small, angry planet with her at a literary festival but shhh, that's an other story...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #697 on: November 24, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Hmm. There aren't any Becky Chambers in either of the two libraries I usually go to, but there are several in the library system they're part of; I could order them in. Will make a note to do that.

One of my usual libraries does have several Kerry Greenwood, though not Spotted Dog. Have made a note on the errands list, which has that library on it already as the current pile, read or not, is out of renewals and about to come due shortly.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #698 on: November 25, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
I bought a new physical book for the first time (well, second time) all year. It's Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, the sequel to Carry On. Before I could read it though, I realized it had been too long since I read the prequel, so I binge-read all of Carry On in less than 2 days, because I have way too much free time and it's a page-turner. Then I dove into Wayward Son.

You can tell that Rowell has grown up in fandom spaces (and not just because she wrote the book Fangirl), because her latest book is a fresh take on one of my favorite genres of fic; that is to say, the Road Trip Fic. Carry On mostly took place in a Hogwarts-esque magic school in Great Britain, but Wayward Son is a meandering journey across the United States, and is appropriately much larger in terms of tone and scale. While Carry On provided some pretty solid worldbuilding, managing to cram in magic, vampires, dragons, and all the rest, it also felt on some level like the story was being made up as it went along. Not so with Wayward Son. The magic system is unchanged, but the fresh perspective of America really serves to highlight just how weird and kind of messed-up these characters are due to their insular magickal upbringing. They're older now, more than a little traumatized from the events of the previous book, and to my surprise that trauma is represented realistically, in their struggles with mental health, relationships and early adulthood.

Also there's magic, vampires and dragons in this one too. So, y'know. That's kind of right up my alley.

(The other book I bought this year was This Is How You Lose The Time War, Epistolary F/F Enemies to Lovers with lyrical prose that reads almost like poetry.)

The holidays are coming up, so I'm looking for more book recommendations, if anyone has them!

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #699 on: November 25, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
I bought a new physical book for the first time (well, second time) all year. It's Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, the sequel to Carry On. Before I could read it though, I realized it had been too long since I read the prequel, so I binge-read all of Carry On in less than 2 days, because I have way too much free time and it's a page-turner. Then I dove into Wayward Son.

You can tell that Rowell has grown up in fandom spaces (and not just because she wrote the book Fangirl), because her latest book is a fresh take on one of my favorite genres of fic; that is to say, the Road Trip Fic. Carry On mostly took place in a Hogwarts-esque magic school in Great Britain, but Wayward Son is a meandering journey across the United States, and is appropriately much larger in terms of tone and scale. While Carry On provided some pretty solid worldbuilding, managing to cram in magic, vampires, dragons, and all the rest, it also felt on some level like the story was being made up as it went along. Not so with Wayward Son. The magic system is unchanged, but the fresh perspective of America really serves to highlight just how weird and kind of messed-up these characters are due to their insular magickal upbringing. They're older now, more than a little traumatized from the events of the previous book, and to my surprise that trauma is represented realistically, in their struggles with mental health, relationships and early adulthood.

Also there's magic, vampires and dragons in this one too. So, y'know. That's kind of right up my alley.

(The other book I bought this year was This Is How You Lose The Time War, Epistolary F/F Enemies to Lovers with lyrical prose that reads almost like poetry.)

The holidays are coming up, so I'm looking for more book recommendations, if anyone has them!

I loved Eleanore and Park also by Rainbow Rowell. It was such a nice love story, and I'm not usually one for books where the centre focus is romance but this book was really good. If you haven't read it I recommend it, and also maybe going through and reading some of her other books. Attachments is pretty good as well.

I recently just finished reading the newest fablehaven dragonwatch book. I know fablehaven is for 10 year olds. But it's sooooooo gooooooooood. I met the author when his first book came out and went through the rest of my elementary school and middle school days staying up all night to read the new one as soon as it came out. Last year I learned that the author is writing a new series in the same world with some of the same characters and the third book of that series came out last month. The series is basically about these kids who go to stay with their grandparents who run a preserve for magical creatures, and then they learn about all these other hidden preserves of magical creatures and they go on these crazy adventures to protect the preserves from the modern world and vice versa. In the latest series there is a dragon rebellion and aahhh they're just so gooddddddd.

I'm currently rereading The Ocean at the End of the Lane because I've sold my soul to Neil Gaiman <3 <3 <3
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #700 on: December 26, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »
I recently got given a ton of e-books, all of them from the Sister Fidelma series. So my current book recommendations are the Brother Cadfael and the Sister Fidelma series. Both are historical mystery series, and pretty well researched. Cadfael is set in Shrewsbury, on the border of England and Wales, during the conflict between King Stephen and Empress Maud around the mid 1100s, and uses Welsh, English, and ecclesiastical law. Fidelma is set in various parts of Ireland and at times other parts of the British Isles and Rome, but is mostly concerned with Irish law (and at times Saxon, ecclesiastical, and Welsh laws). It's set around the mid-end 600s.

I recommend them both as just fun and interesting books in general, and also as a way to give context to Welsh and Irish law in particular. It definitely helped me hook information more easily when I was studying those laws as an elective last year. They also both open a bit of a window onto the cultural, political, and church conflicts of the time. It's by no means a perfect picture, or even necessarily an accurate picture, seeing as there's only so much material that's survived from those times, but it does make them more alive and human, something that history always needs, and in both cases the authors did their very best with the material available to them.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Róisín

« Reply #701 on: December 26, 2019, 05:39:39 AM »
Lenny, I have only read one of the Fidelma books and quite liked it. I do know a bit about Old Irish law and the Brehon Code in general, and the bits included seemed accurate.

The Cadfael books I have read most of, and like well. It helps that the author is a real-world historian, and that she started writing the books as a fundraiser for the restoration of the Monastery of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. I know less about the English law of the time than I do of the Irish, Manx and Cornish codes, so can’t speak to that, but what I do know well is the herblore, culinary lore, brewing, gardening, farming and medicine of that period. And that is all spot-on. The Monastery has been very thoroughly restored, since the books proved to be an excellent fundraiser, and even includes a herb garden and apothecary such as Cadfael would have had. The books are also good puzzle stories, with just enough clues that an intelligent and observant reader can work out the answer at about the same time the in-story detective does. Always a good thing in a detective story.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #702 on: December 26, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
Ooh thank you Lenny! I love Brother Cadfael and have read all that are readily available in our library system. Must definitely give Sister Fidelma a try!

Have you guys read C J Sansom? He is another writer with a historian background (PhD). The protagonist of his main series, Matthew Shardlake, is a lawyer in Tudorian England (based in London he travels in various business). Some of the books are brilliant, the rest merely good. Definitely recommended if you haven’t tried.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #703 on: December 26, 2019, 06:14:12 PM »
For that matter, have you read the Jasper Shrig stories by Jeffrey Farnol. He more usually wrote historical novels, but these are detective stories in which the detective is a Bow Street Runner in London. ‘Murder by Nail’ is good. Darker than the other two writers.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #704 on: December 26, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
ooh, so many interesting looking recommendations!! I just finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and am very sad because I don’t know what to do with myself now that such an engrossing story is over :(. But I did encounter a TON of new deities and folk legends to research (as if I’m not enough of a mythology nerd  :))), so YAY! Anyway, yeah, said book has probably already been mentioned on here, but it’s a really good one! Had a lot of plot twists I actually wasn’t expecting
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:57:40 PM by Alkia »
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05: