Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124234 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Books!
« Reply #540 on: May 21, 2017, 12:47:15 AM »
What would obviously happen after a long time without reading had happened : I read The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) in less than 24h during the week and I'm at half of The long way to a small, angry planet (Becky Chambers), having began this one this morning. Ahem... ::)

I'm curious what you thought of "The Handmaid's Tale," given that so much of it is based on specifically American social and political trends (though you only have to look at places like Afghanistan and Iran to see how quickly any society can go backwards on women's rights).  Also, have you seen any of the new TV series based on it?  I haven't, but I'm tempted to subscribe to the streaming service Hulu just to watch it.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
I'm curious what you thought of "The Handmaid's Tale," given that so much of it is based on specifically American social and political trends (though you only have to look at places like Afghanistan and Iran to see how quickly any society can go backwards on women's rights).  Also, have you seen any of the new TV series based on it?  I haven't, but I'm tempted to subscribe to the streaming service Hulu just to watch it.
Back to high school, we had a project to prepare during the year, in group or not. It had to be in one of the four themes given for the year, and to involve two of our classes. I'll always remember the look of the other students when they learnt on what I was working ^^ ("Totalitarian societies in science-fiction literature")
So The Handmaid's Tale could have been one of the books I would have used to prepare this project if I've known it before :) That's probably why I read it so fast (That, and maybe a serious lack of reading recently.) I haven't felt it "so american", it... it's clearly a story that could take place in a lot of various countries. We have politicians (and simple persons too) here who still think that a woman's place is at home, and if you listen to Le Pen's niece women rights aren't clearly a priority (Her talking about abortion was... huuu... -__-) This book is powerful. Nothing is as horrible as Brave New World, to date, for me. I chose to see a little light of hope in The Handmaid's Tale, as I've done reading The Giver when I was a teenager. And I'll probably try to read an other Margaret Atwood's book because I enjoyed her writing.
And for the serie, it's because one person of fb talked about it that I decided that I had to read the book ;) I'll maybe try to watch it.

I'm still in The long way to a small, angry planet, and think to the forum sometimes because the characters are very different and there are questions about gender/species (It's SF) well written, to my mind. If it's good until the end it will definitively be a book I'll recommend to friends :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #542 on: May 22, 2017, 02:14:23 PM »
What would obviously happen after a long time without reading had happened : I read The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood) in less than 24h during the week and I'm at half of The long way to a small, angry planet (Becky Chambers), having began this one this morning. Ahem... ::)

I found the sequel to the Chambers to be a much better book.

The Handmaid's Tale...sigh...we're getting too close to that.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #543 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:25 PM »
I found the sequel to the Chambers to be a much better book.
I can't read it right now I've cried on the last chapters this afternoon.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #544 on: May 29, 2017, 10:51:58 PM »
One of my favorite authors is Charlotte MacLeod, who wrote (primarily) four series of so-called "cozy" mysteries. For some odd reason, I recently started thinking about one called "The Curse of the Giant Hogweed", written in the early-/mid-eighties. Instead of a mystery, though, it's a parody/pastiche of Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".
I won't give more spoilers, except to say that it's characteristically witty, so if you enjoy that kind of writing, you'll like it.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #545 on: May 30, 2017, 12:53:47 AM »
That sounds like fun!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #546 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:32 AM »
One of my favorite authors is Charlotte MacLeod, who wrote (primarily) four series of so-called "cozy" mysteries. For some odd reason, I recently started thinking about one called "The Curse of the Giant Hogweed", written in the early-/mid-eighties. Instead of a mystery, though, it's a parody/pastiche of Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".
I won't give more spoilers, except to say that it's characteristically witty, so if you enjoy that kind of writing, you'll like it.

I think I've read that! Was there an interrogation scene involving a... shall we say "medical appliance"?
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #547 on: May 30, 2017, 10:19:45 AM »
Books I'm looking forward to:

Ben Aaronovitch, "The Furthest Station" -- the appears to be a novella rather than a full novel. Release date June 30th
Charles Stross, "The Delerium Brief" -- next book in the Laundry series.  Release date July 11th
N.K. Jemisin, "The Stone Sky" -- final book in the Broken Earth trilogy and the one I'm most looking forward to of these three.  Release date August 15th.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #548 on: May 30, 2017, 06:18:34 PM »
N.K. Jemisin, "The Stone Sky" -- final book in the Broken Earth trilogy and the one I'm most looking forward to of these three.  Release date August 15th.

Ooh, I'm currently working my way through The Fifth Season, and really liking it so far.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #549 on: May 30, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Ben Aaronovitch, "The Furthest Station" -- the appears to be a novella rather than a full novel. Release date June 30th

Yes yes yes! *marks calendar*

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #550 on: May 31, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
Ooh, I'm currently working my way through The Fifth Season, and really liking it so far.

The Fifth Season was utterly brilliant and The Obelisk Gate is pretty damned good too. 

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #551 on: June 06, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
I'm on book 3 of Dune right now (The Prophet) and it's just. So. GOOD!! ;D I especially love all the world building and in-depth looks at the culture of the Fremen so far! needless to say, I've already recommended the book to all my friends. :P
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #552 on: June 06, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »
I just started "Wildwood" by Colin Meloy. It takes place in Portland, OR, Forest Park, near St. Johns, specifically, but the forest is a magical land, kinda Narnia-ish, and two teens(?) adventure into them. It's really fun for me to read, since whenever we go to Portland, we go to St. Johns and Forest Park, so I already know these places, but now they are magical. Strongly recomend this book to anyone who likes magic and maybe a few talking animals!  ;D
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #553 on: June 07, 2017, 12:47:24 AM »
I've just finished a re-read of Kim Newman's Anno Dracula and Bloody Red Baron. They're alternative history novels set in a world where vampires are real and Dracula's plot to take over the British Empire (in Bram Stoker's Dracula of course) succeeded. They're fantastically written, feature a really convincing depiction of a Victorian (in the first book at least) England where Vampires are now on top of Society, and Newman peoples them with dozens upon dozens of characters from different works (a few off the top of my head - Mycroft Holmes, Dr Moreau, Biggles, Raffles, Dr Caligari, you get the idea).

Highly recommended!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
Also, the latest Tanya Huff book, "A Peace Divided", dropped yesterday!  I'm about a quarter of the way through it.

Yay!  New Torin!