Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124169 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: Books!
« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2016, 06:00:07 AM »
Been working my way through the second book in the Stranger series, and thoroughly enjoying it so far.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #451 on: December 19, 2016, 12:58:26 PM »
Wodehouse was one of my father's favorite authors. I didn't like the books as a child, but they grew on me. I inherited much of my father's collection, and occasionally re-read one of them.

They've also in the meantime become historical novels, which adds another touch. I often enjoy that in old mystery stories, also. The Dorothy Sayers and Ellery Queen books, for instance; none of these were historicals when they were written, but they are now -- and having been written from inside their times gives them a different feel than modern books written as historicals about their time periods. (With Wodehouse, of course, one has to allow for their being satires.)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
The 6th book in Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" series came out in the US on 31 Jan.  I bought in on 01 Feb and finished it this morning (02 Feb).  The series in general is fun -- good, solid urban fantasy crossed with police procedural.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
The 6th book in Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" series came out in the US on 31 Jan.  I bought in on 01 Feb and finished it this morning (02 Feb).  The series in general is fun -- good, solid urban fantasy crossed with police procedural.

Best quote - "It's getting needlessly metaphysical out here" :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »
Best quote - "It's getting needlessly metaphysical out here" :D

I am incredibly excited that this series has been brought to my attention for I have just begun running a urban fantasy D&D/Pathfinder campaign where all of the PCs work for the police, and I was bemoaning the lack of literature in such a department for inspiration.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2017, 11:18:42 PM »
I am incredibly excited that this series has been brought to my attention for I have just begun running a urban fantasy D&D/Pathfinder campaign where all of the PCs work for the police, and I was bemoaning the lack of literature in such a department for inspiration.

Rivers of London is your go to then. Also, are you familiar the Dresden Files? Harry Dresden is a Private Investigator rather than a cop, but he has to deal with the cops a fair bit.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #456 on: February 03, 2017, 12:08:46 AM »
Rivers of London is your go to then. Also, are you familiar the Dresden Files? Harry Dresden is a Private Investigator rather than a cop, but he has to deal with the cops a fair bit.

I am very aware! I haven't gotten to read them yet but I am working on their acquisition!
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #457 on: February 15, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »

You might also want to look up Charles De Lint's Newford books.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #458 on: February 15, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
Speaking of Butcher, I just finished re-re-re-...-reading Codex Alera and ohmygod why is it so good, how does he do it?! I usually have to wait months or at least weeks before I can reread something without getting annoyed because I know exactly what's going to happen, but I just read the series three times back-to-back.
I am not kidding, I have them on Kindle and I'd finish one book and immediately go to the next, and when I finished the sixth I just jumped back to the first and I had to force myself not to do it a third time because I had stuff to read for school.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #459 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »
Recently finished Hostage, the second book in the Change Quartet. (Now impatiently twiddling my thumbs until the third one comes out.)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #460 on: February 28, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
Charlie Jane Anders, "All the Birds in the Sky"

Magical and weird and so worth reading.

Hey! I'm sorry to burst into the conversation. I heard about this book. Where I live, it is still not translated, but the description is perfect.
I can only recommend the book of Patrick Ness " A Monster Calls". The book is short, but it causes strong emotions.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #461 on: February 28, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
Hey! I'm sorry to burst into the conversation. I heard about this book. Where I live, it is still not translated, but the description is perfect.
I can only recommend the book of Patrick Ness " A Monster Calls". The book is short, but it causes strong emotions.

That's OK. We're all talking about books :)

Latest new book finished, Kameron Hurley's "The Stars are Legion"  Again, it's...weird.  SF, but very organic and very squishy (literally).

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #462 on: February 28, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »

Was the book the base for the movie of the same name?
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:14 AM »
Was the book the base for the movie of the same name?

yes, this is true! I have not seen a movie in full, only the beginning with titles, but what I saw was enough to understand that it is also beautiful.

In Russia, one publishing house is now publishes a series of books. All books written young writers who are known on the Internet more than in life. Those books that I read, very interesting, but the chance that they will be translated into other languages do not. I can tell a plot but you can read them only if you know Russian, and it's sad.
And in general, I like to talk about Russian literature, because I know more about it than about the foreign, although foreign read more often.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
I just finished The Atrocity Archives, the first book in Charles Stross's Laundry series, which is a combination of espionage, physics and H.P.Lovecraft. I loved the setting, the ideas and the plot, but the writing style just didn't grab me. It came across as sort of bland and monochrome. I'll likely read the rest of the series, but I won't be hurrying to do so (I'll stick to the Dresden Files for the time being).