Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124247 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Books!
« Reply #435 on: November 08, 2016, 02:24:58 AM »
The Mowat book sounds fascinating. And I quite approved of Lady Franklin - there are a number of songs about her and her quest to find her husband, some of which I sing. It's a tragic and fascinating story, some of the ramifications of which are still going on.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
The Mowat book sounds fascinating. And I quite approved of Lady Franklin - there are a number of songs about her and her quest to find her husband, some of which I sing. It's a tragic and fascinating story, some of the ramifications of which are still going on.

Apparently Mowat's a pretty big figure in CanLit, but I never came across his stuff until now. Anyway, that one's definitely worth a read if you can get your hands on it.

: O I had no idea there were songs about Lady Franklin! I'll have to see if I can track some of them down.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

« Reply #437 on: November 08, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »
My favourite is 'Lady Franklin's Lament:

'Last night as the sun sank into the west
I fell asleep for to take my rest.
I dreamed a dream, and I thought it true
Concerning Franklin and his gallant crew...'

The tune is 'The Croppy Boy'. It's a very dark and beautiful song.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #438 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
Spoiler: Book Review: Written in Red by Anne Bishop • show

Warning: The review that follows, and the source material it's based on, contains potentially triggering material, including mentions of slavery and of physical and sexual abuse.

This one was hit-or-miss with me. It's more popcorn than I'd normally read, but I picked it up because the worldbuilding seemed unique and because I'm a complete sucker for stories of characters escaping abusive situations. The story itself had its good points and its bad points, one of the most frustrating ones being that while I understood what the author was trying to do, the narrative was telling a lot more than it was showing, so I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in the story as I could have been.

The Obligatory Romance: Feel free to roll your eyes at my tendency to harp on this. I could have told you before I even cracked the cover which two characters were going to end up as love interests, and while the book avoided a lot (though not all) of the common pitfalls of paranormal romance, it didn't really sell me on the ship either, and some of those aforementioned wait-this-is-controlling-and-intimidating-behavior-I'm-really-not-comfortable-with-this pitfalls were still there. I got the feeling that the author was at least aware that it needed to be addressed, but the attempts at doing so often came off as clumsy.

The Worldbuilding: No complaints here. I genuinely enjoyed the premise of an alternate history where humans have an uneasy coexistence with powerful creatures from myth and legend. I want to see more of where this goes.

The Characters: I had no complaints about the heroine as a character, though I had mixed feelings about her (eventual) love interest and about the villainess, who seemed to be there as part of a virgin/whore dynamic that made me really uncomfortable.

Our Vampires/Werewolves/Whatevers Are Different: While I appreciated the effort to portray the Others as a completely alien race that thought of humans as little more than intelligent meat, I felt that it was another case of telling and not showing - for a race that supposedly doesn't care about humans they'd sure made a lot of human friends near the end of the book. In keeping with the hit-or-miss pattern of this book, some of Meg's ability to ingratiate herself with them fit organically into the story while some of it felt really clunky and hand-wavy.

In short, it had some good points, and I enjoyed it enough to consider picking up the next book in the series, but it's not going onto my favorites list.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #439 on: November 22, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
I've just finished reading through all of Tanya Huff's "Valor" series (and the new book after that).  Have to wait until spring for the next one!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #440 on: November 29, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
And, now Sherri S. Tepper's "Grass"

I can't believe I never read it before that.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #441 on: December 07, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »
I just found out about Google Books today. It lets you search for books online, and there's a lot of freely downloadable pdfs of certain books, especially older ones on alchemy and such. Interesting stuff! I found a free pdf of The Kalevala as well. (Volume 1. Volume 2.)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #442 on: December 08, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
Charlie Jane Anders, "All the Birds in the Sky"

Magical and weird and so worth reading.

pillowcat

« Reply #443 on: December 09, 2016, 04:21:03 PM »

*perks up*
Someone mentioned Sheri S Tepper.
Read The Companions, too. I've read most of her stuff now but those are the best two. Maybe The Margarets.

I actually came here to squeal about "The Girl With all the Gifts". But stop talking Pillow.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #444 on: December 09, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
*perks up*
Someone mentioned Sheri S Tepper.
Read The Companions, too. I've read most of her stuff now but those are the best two. Maybe The Margarets.

I actually came here to squeal about "The Girl With all the Gifts". But stop talking Pillow.

I'd only read some of the True Game books and they didn't do much for me.

Latest book finished, Kij Johnson's truly excellent "The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe"

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #445 on: December 10, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

I also just read Grass. I'd been under the mistaken impression that I'd read it years ago, but it turned out that this was due to a confusion with a work by another author entirely that also had the word Grass in the title.

Portions of this were fascinating. But (spoiler I think so vague I'm not going to bother whiting it ahead):

While I don't object to love interests in general, and think that this very common human motivation does fit properly into many tales, I was annoyed by what seemed to me an entirely implausible and unnecessary sexual/romantic situation thrown into this particular story; which did also seem to me to carry strong implications of potential coercion which did not seem to be addressed.

IKEA

« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
If anyone's looking for humor, I highly recommend the Jeeves and Wooster series by P.G. Wodehouse.
The adventures of a rich idiot (Bertie Wooster) and his brilliant butler (Jeeves). Wodehouse has the best turns of phrase in the English language, bar none.
Link to read online

Róisín

« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »
That is a delight. I love those books!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
If anyone's looking for humor, I highly recommend the Jeeves and Wooster series by P.G. Wodehouse.
The adventures of a rich idiot (Bertie Wooster) and his brilliant butler (Jeeves). Wodehouse has the best turns of phrase in the English language, bar none.
Link to read online
I always preferred his Blandings Castle novels, myself.

Róisín

« Reply #449 on: December 19, 2016, 01:08:16 AM »
Those also are good.