Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124158 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: Books!
« Reply #405 on: September 04, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
I've just started Names for the Sea: Strangers in Iceland and I'm really liking it despite expecting not to! It was a last-minute-whim library shelf grab and I'm reaaally picky with personal travel memoirs, but the writing is actually quite evocative and touching, so I'm digging it.

:o I might need to check it out. Definitely picky about travel narratives too, but I do like a good one now and then.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Q

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2016, 03:58:11 PM »
:o I might need to check it out. Definitely picky about travel narratives too, but I do like a good one now and then.

Finished it this morning and I do think you'd like it! Though I found a couple sections (the bits about the economy and the bits about elves) to be fairly skippable (but YMMV), I'm glad I read it.
Fluent: :usa:
Conversational: :norway:
Forgot most of it and started over: :russia:
Maybe someday: :hungary: :japan: :finland: :iceland:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #407 on: September 06, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
I've read it several years ago. One of my strangest experiences as a reader...

I highly recommend the Poe album Haunted as a companion piece to the book.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:41:39 AM by urbicande »
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
I highly recommend the Poe album Haunted as a companion piece to the book.

Ohhh, considering I'm still not very far into it I'll keep this in mind while I'm reading it, thank you !

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #409 on: September 12, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »
Finished The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin, and man did it go down fast. Also addressed the major problem I have with all the "alien invasion" stories where aliens attack Earth because they're out of resources, which is that the aliens are us. We would do this. We have done this. And no matter how many times we screw up, we will never, ever learn.

This book might have hit just a little bit too close to home, yes. Reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik next.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #410 on: September 12, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »
This book might have hit just a little bit too close to home, yes. Reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik next.

Oooh, I remember enjoying that one, let me know what you think!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Reading Jane Goodall's 'Seeds of Hope'. Well worth it so far.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #412 on: September 13, 2016, 01:09:13 AM »
I sold 35 books to a second hand bookstore on the weekend as part of an ongoing attempt to declutter. I got $60 in store credit, which isn't too shabby.

Of course I've got 3,000+ *other* books cluttering up my rather small apartment, so there's still work to be done  ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #413 on: September 13, 2016, 05:33:49 AM »
I'm reading a novel by Abdourahman Waberi, and if some are translated in English "La divine chanson" isn't (yet ?). The writing is often poetic, it's a good surprise and discovery :)
And I really want to read the last Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir translated in French, but I'm poor this month so it will have to wait until the next one...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #414 on: September 13, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »
So, I'm reading Lizard, a short story collection by Banana Yoshimoto. Her work has such an odd and... charming? Sense of magic.
Kitchen was the book that really made me fall in love with her work, though. It smacked me upside the head with feelings, and I still haven't recovered. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »
I sold 35 books to a second hand bookstore on the weekend as part of an ongoing attempt to declutter. I got $60 in store credit, which isn't too shabby.

Of course I've got 3,000+ *other* books cluttering up my rather small apartment, so there's still work to be done  ;D

Yay, more books!

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #417 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
Yes, but less books!

Sort of. What are you going to use that store credit for?

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #418 on: September 14, 2016, 09:40:01 AM »
Sort of. What are you going to use that store credit for?

Well I turned in 35 books, and I now have credit for maybe 3 nice books. So it's a net loss.

And I might save it for Christmas presents anyway.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #419 on: September 19, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
Finished Uprooted today. Overall really enjoyed it, not perfect but it was very, very good, and felt unique and fresh in spite of drawing on a lot of really common fairy tale tropes. I'd read it again. Long-winded review to follow...

Spoiler: Actual Spoilers • show

My favorite part of the worldbuilding was easily the Wood. I don't know, I love forests as a rule, but I also have a definite thing for dark malicious landscapes that change and corrupt or else just completely devour anyone who enters them. (Gee, is it any surprise that I'm also an avid Lovecraft reader?) Thoroughly enjoyed the origin story as well, though I did think that the whole situation was resolved a bit too easily in the end.

Now comes the complaint. And it'll probably seem weird that I'm spending so much time on a nitpick when I genuinely did like the book as a whole, but it's a nitpick that's already been picked and picked and picked several hundred too many times, if not more:

I really could have done without the Obligatory Romance.

Now, I really enjoyed watching Agnieszka and Sarkan bounce off of each other, from their first meeting when she was completely terrified of him because she didn't know what he wanted through their petty quarrels all the way until they actually learned how to get along and how much more powerful they could be if they worked together, not to mention admitting they actually cared about each other. Here's the thing, though - all of that still would have worked perfectly well if their relationship had been kept to that of master and apprentice. And this upsets me for a number of reasons:

-I think that platonic male-female relationships are really underexplored in fiction, and the master-apprentice front especially is one I've hardly ever seen done before. (Tenzin and Korra comes to mind, but practically nothing else.)
-Teacher-on-student severely squicks me out.
-The narrative utterly failed to convince me that they had actual chemistry - from where I was standing, it went from "they can't stand each other" to "Oh look, attraction."
-Yes, I understand that when one of the characters is immortal, or a member of a species that ages differently than humans, or has been frozen in time for multiple generations, there are automatically going to be different standards when it comes to age differences - but that still doesn't mean I'm going to accept that a centuries-old noble with his 17-year-old peasant apprentice is okay.
-I honestly thought that Agnieszka had better chemistry with Kasia.

Granted, I'll give it credit for actually acknowledging that platonic friendship is important, as opposed to another narrative pet peeve of mine where romantic love is treated as the only kind that matters. But... instead, I feel like it fell into the trap of showing me two girls who care about each other more than anyone else, will unthinkingly risk their lives for each other, and seem physically incapable of getting within arm's reach of each other without cuddling or holding hands, and expects me to believe that there's nothing going on between them except that they're really good friends. Then, this same narrative shows me two other characters who start their relationship with a massive power imbalance (though to the author's credit, at least it didn't stay that way) and can't seem to speak two words to each other without exchanging some sort of verbal jab, and expects me to buy that just because they're opposite sexes, in close proximity, and not related by blood, that somehow means they're romantically compatible. *headdesk*

...I'm not doing a very good job of selling this book, am I?

Okay, in spite of my whining I really did enjoy the story overall, and this is a complaint I have about just about every piece of popular media I consume. The rest of it was very much worth it - I liked the setting, for the most part I liked the characters, and I really want a sequel now about how Kasia put her life back together after her encounter with the Wood and how she ends up becoming the champion knight to two small royal children.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: