Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124250 times)

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
Re: Books!
« Reply #330 on: June 30, 2016, 06:59:08 AM »
Raising Steam is actually the second sequel to Going Postal. The one in between is Making Money. And of course all three tie into the rest of the Discworld novels - particularly the City Watch ones.

There are actually some pretty good reading guides for the series out there, such as this one...

It's actually a few years out of date. Off the top of my head add Snuff after Where's My Cow?, Raising Steam after Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight after Wintersmith.
Yeah...I just read them in publication order, it seems to have worked fine.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #331 on: June 30, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
Nttt, that's not possible. The first Pratchett I've read was a short novel with the witches. I've began with the two first Discworld, and then I was taking the books my library had or which had my preference (So the ones with the witches, and/or the Death if possible ^^)

Yeah, this! I mean, sure, there is technically a story order, and some of the later books are more tied to the previous than is the case in the earlier parts of the series, but... I started with the first novel, then jumped around according to whatever the library had at the time, and it worked out okay.

Most of them can stand enough by themselves; you just have to be willing to roll with anything that seems confusing. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #332 on: June 30, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
Ahh, bless you for posting that, Purple Wyrm, I was going to go looking for it if you hadn't. It's pretty helpful if you want to read in order, but as others have said, reading order isn't critical. I'm pretty sure my first Discworld book was Feet of Clay, and then I read a bunch of the other books that they have marked as "standard novels" (Jingo, Maskerade, Hogfather, Carpe Jugulum, to name a few) because that was what my library had. Over the years my brothers and I slowly amassed a collection of Discworld paperbacks to fill in the gaps.

That said, I think with some of the later books (especially the Tiffany books, which are marked on there as "young adult novels" in the Witches chain, and the last few books in the Industrial Revolution chain, starting with Going Postal) benefit from having read earlier books. For the Tiffany books, that's because they follow one main character through her growing up, and they often reference events in previous books. For the Industrial Revolution books, it's because they show advances in technology that have world-changing consequences, which I find interesting to see as it goes along. But, that said, it probably isn't crucial to read Making Money before you read Raising Steam, especially if you're already familiar with Going Postal. (Also, there's a movie of that? What?)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2016, 08:45:08 AM »
Oh naturally! You can jump into the Discworld at any point and enjoy them just as much!

The first I ever read was Pyramids. I was 13 and it completely blew my mind that anyone could think like that :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
Now everyone has reminded me that I've been intending to read Discworld for a while now. XD

Also, a nearby library was getting rid of all the books they no longer wanted for free, so I ended up getting four bags of them. Which for some reason is mostly biographies, which I rarely read, but I guess not many other people wanted those. XD
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
(Also, there's a movie of that? What?)

Yes! and it's very good too! Everybody should watch it! :D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #336 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Yes! and it's very good too! Everybody should watch it! :D

I second this wholeheartedly! Charles Danse as Lord Vetinary is spot on!
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #337 on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
There's actually three live action adaptions, Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal. I haven't seen The Colour of Magic but the other two are pretty good.

(EDIT: Looks like the link I found for The Colour of Magic only has the first ten minutes and the rest isn't on YouTube. Boo!)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:12:52 PM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »
There's actually three live action adaptions, Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal. I haven't seen The Colour of Magic but the other two are pretty good.

(EDIT: Looks like the link I found for The Colour of Magic only has the first ten minutes and the rest isn't on YouTube. Boo!)
A few years ago, we had Hogfather on tv during Christmas' vacations :) It was a nice surprise.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »

Ooh, yeah. Hogfather used to be on Netflix (I don't think it is anymore, alas) and I watched the first half but never got around to finishing it. I'll have to do that one of these days.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »
Let's see, who recommended Brandon Sanderson? Aha, here we go:
I want to recommend Brandon Sanderson to EVERYONE. :) He's a fantasy/science fiction/sorta-mystery writer. His books are incredible. He's my favorite author ever.
Thank you, you wonderful human being! I finished reading The Alloy of Law a few days ago and now I really miss reading it. I am regretting my decision to leave the rest of the Sanderson books I got from the library at home.
The world was so marvelously thought out, and the plot twists were unpredictable and each one made the story more complex... [/rambles incoherently]
10/10 will read again!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #341 on: July 04, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
Ugh, I should really start reading Discworld too. I've been putting it off for about three years because I just never had time... Until now...

Anyways, I also have my own book recommendation to post here: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It originally came recommended to me by Melusine, I think, and I picked it up last week, and didn't put it down once until I was done. It really appealed to me for a lot of the same reasons that SSSS did. Of course, it doesn't have visual art like SSSS but the prose is amazingly well-written. Also, it has one character who writes a graphic novel and then later an apocalypse hits. The character's name even shares the first two letters with Minna (Almost seems like the author got some ideas from SSSS  :D ).

Anyways, I'd highly recommend it to all Minnions.

Wow, this is my first post in a long, long time. I hope all of you have been well, and sorry for just being a sneaky vaettur for so long.

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
Mwahahaha I have just found this thread and should read all the previous pages, but if I do I am certain I'll be irrevocably sucked in (and I've so many books already that I still need to read).

Recommendation: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak has been my favorite book for the past two years or so (call me clichéd, but I really really do love it). Understand, if you don't already, that it is set in 1930's/40's Germany, and that this greatly affects the content. It is truly the first book I've read that I felt sat in my brain and read my thoughts. The first read is great, but the second read is the best, in my opinion. It is longer, though, and I always need to reread it despite rarely making the time to do so.

Another recommendation: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson--born a webcomic and now a graphic novel! It is a serious delight from start to finish, and I have read it many times (once twice in a row, immediately going back after the first read to start over). Incredibly charming style, beautiful characters, suspense, action, dumb jokes, and a fairly quick read!

Currently reading: Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I expect that Hamilton will take me considerably longer to finish, seeing as it's roughly 800 pages. But I SHALL DO IT!

This reminds me how very dreadfully I need to reorganize my books; bye for now!

I believe I've briefly heard Discworld mentioned elsewhere? Is it really that mandatory of a read? The volume of the canon seems a bit intimidating...
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »
The Book Thief is great. It's one of the few books that can actually make me cry at the end...
I also love how it has Death as the narrator, and the way it turns Death into a three-dimensional character.
And Nimona! I love that one!

If the sheer size of Discworld seems daunting, it's okay to read one (each book is fairly short), forget about the series for a year, and come back later. There's no pressure to read all of them like there is for Harry Potter. Most of them work fairly well as stand-alones. But even if you just read one, it will be worth it! I promise! :))
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
Though events make more sense if you know who everybody is. Starting at the beginning is a good idea.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!