Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124230 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Books!
« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »
Omg, the envy! And that's Bride's Story back there, right? I only have the three first volumes :(

Spoiler: show

Totally on topic cosplay bragging here! Me and bf back in 2013 :D

HhhhhOW DID YOU RECOGNIZE IT BY THE TOPS OF THE BOOKS ONLY? Anyway yes that's Otoyomegatari/Bride's Story! Btw your cosplays are amazing and made of gold, Laufey seal of approval all the way. <3
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #316 on: June 29, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
And while I was there I picked up a Terry Pratchet book, Raising Steam, and a random book that looked cool and seems to involve some necromancy and stuff in a fantasy world? idk, haven't read it yet.

Ooh, enjoy the Pratchett! (I can't remember, have you read his others? Raising Steam is one that benefits from having read some earlier books, if I remember correctly).

Also, I'm curious to know what the random book that looked cool and seems to involve necromancy. (If it's The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells you're in for a treat.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #317 on: June 29, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
Also, I'm curious to know what the random book that looked cool and seems to involve necromancy. (If it's The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells you're in for a treat.)
I'm always curious about cool books that involve necromancy.
*writes "The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells" on a nearby piece of paper*
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #318 on: June 29, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »
I'm always curious about cool books that involve necromancy.
*writes "The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells" on a nearby piece of paper*

Oooh yes, do look it up! And honestly, you could add "anything at all by Martha Wells" to your list, because I love her writing but it seems like a lot of people haven't heard of her. If you end up enjoying The Death of the Necromancer, her Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy that comes after it is also brilliant.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #319 on: June 29, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
I almost bought a volume of Vinland Saga on Monday - there was a stocktake sale at a local bookstore and it was going out cheap. But... my funds were limited and I decided to buy some other stuff rather than jump into a series halfway through.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:08 PM »
I almost bought a volume of Vinland Saga on Monday - there was a stocktake sale at a local bookstore and it was going out cheap. But... my funds were limited and I decided to buy some other stuff rather than jump into a series halfway through.

Good call. Best to start from the start. ;p Maybe the library will have it?
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »
I do like Vinland saga, although I read it online. you can buy comics in paperform? There's always the online option Tr

Not much of a book reader but I got myself Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley, it's really good but it helps if you know the story of the game it's based on. The book is about when they built the underwater city 'Rapture' till the chaos we know started.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
I do like Vinland saga, although I read it online. you can buy comics in paperform? There's always the online option Tr
I found an online version and OHMYGOSH IT IS AWESOME
Oooh yes, do look it up! And honestly, you could add "anything at all by Martha Wells" to your list, because I love her writing but it seems like a lot of people haven't heard of her. If you end up enjoying The Death of the Necromancer, her Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy that comes after it is also brilliant.
Mrrrh, forgot to look this up at the library! Next time!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2016, 09:32:18 PM »

Did someone say Vinland Saga because I'm almost sure someone said Vinland Saga!

A manga about vikings, why have I heard of this sooner ? *drools*

Also, I thought for some reason for a moment that this was a picture taken at a book store and it didn't register that this was your personal book shelf so I was very confused when I saw the SSSS book to the left there . .

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »
AHHH VINLAND SAGA IS SO GOOD. And totally warreants the capslock. You won't regret choosing that one, I think.
...and this reminds me that I am way behind on it, I really should fix that. *_*

No regrets here! I LOVE IT! I stayed up until about 2 last night and now I'm halfway through the first volume!

Did someone say Vinland Saga because I'm almost sure someone said Vinland Saga!

Ooh can I just come to your house and steal read all of them... :P

Ooh, enjoy the Pratchett! (I can't remember, have you read his others? Raising Steam is one that benefits from having read some earlier books, if I remember correctly).

I haven't read much Pratchett, but I did see the movie for Going Postal, and Raising Steam seems to be a sequel to that? it has the same characters and seems like a continuation of story.

The random book that looked cool is called Shadow Magic (which sounds like a kinda uninventive name?) But it looks interesting.

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »
The random book that looked cool is called Shadow Magic (which sounds like a kinda uninventive name?) But it looks interesting.
OH! I think I may have read about half of that book once, but then my mom was forced to drag me out of the bookstore. I did like the part I read, though. ^-^

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2016, 12:45:35 AM »
I haven't read much Pratchett, but I did see the movie for Going Postal, and Raising Steam seems to be a sequel to that? it has the same characters and seems like a continuation of story.

Raising Steam is actually the second sequel to Going Postal. The one in between is Making Money. And of course all three tie into the rest of the Discworld novels - particularly the City Watch ones.

There are actually some pretty good reading guides for the series out there, such as this one...

It's actually a few years out of date. Off the top of my head add Snuff after Where's My Cow?, Raising Steam after Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight after Wintersmith.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:51:14 AM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2016, 12:59:23 AM »
Raising Steam is actually the second sequel to Going Postal. The one in between is Making Money. And of course all three tie into the rest of the Discworld novels - particularly the City Watch ones.

There are actually some pretty good reading guides for the series out there, such as this one...

It's actually a few years out of date. Off the top of my head add Snuff after Where's My Cow?, Raising Steam after Making Money and I Shall Wear Midnight after Wintersmith.

Wow, that's about as complex as expected but still! Thanks, I should probably get that book before I dive into Raising Steam, I prefer to read things in the correct order.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #328 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:05 AM »

I've been doing it all wrong! D:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #329 on: June 30, 2016, 06:01:20 AM »
I've been doing it all wrong! D:
Nttt, that's not possible. The first Pratchett I've read was a short novel with the witches. I've began with the two first Discworld, and then I was taking the books my library had or which had my preference (So the ones with the witches, and/or the Death if possible ^^)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: