Author Topic: Books!  (Read 124231 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: Books!
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2016, 02:40:46 AM »
I didn't even know The Moomins existed until a few months ago, I know it's for children but I've been really enjoying watching the show, and now I'm tempted to read the books at 24 years old especially because I have a LOT of questions about the story, like first of all how come Snufkin doesn't even know Joxter and why wasn't Joxter around to raise Snufkin and what not ?!? I'm judging you Joxter

Joxter is the type that never stays in one place for long, but thankfully the Mymble who's Snufkin's mother (a different Mymble from the one we see later on living near the Moomins) always had so many lovers that some of them must have helped with the child rearing! Besides when we meet her she's quite an apt mother of... um... well I think she also forgot how many children she already had by then, and when she and Snufkin are reunited she's made even more.

(Fun fact time, in that same book - Moominpappa's Memoirs - it's made clear that Little My is Snufkin's older sister.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:44:00 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2016, 03:12:27 AM »
I didn't even know The Moomins existed until a few months ago, I know it's for children but I've been really enjoying watching the show, and now I'm tempted to read the books at 24 years old especially because I have a LOT of questions about the story, like first of all how come Snufkin doesn't even know Joxter and why wasn't Joxter around to raise Snufkin and what not ?!? I'm judging you Joxter

Don't let the idea "it's for children" throw you off.  I'm a generation older than you and I just re-read several of the Moomin books.  They are profound and thoughtful, like many of the best "children's" books ("The Wind in the Willows," the Pippi Longstocking stories, "The Little Prince") as well as funny, clever, and touching without being sentimental. 

My favorites are "Tales from Moominvalley" ("The Hemulen Who Loved Silence" taught me, a talkative extrovert, a lot about introverts) and "Moominland Midwinter," which has a lot to say about adversity, resilience, and self-discovery.  But you probably want to start with the earlier ones, like "Finn Family Moomintroll."

Happy reading!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #302 on: June 24, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »
Waaaaah.  The latest PC Grant novel (Ben Aaronovitch) has been delayed AGAIN. It was supposed to be out this month, and it won't come out until October in the UK and *January* here in the US.

What!? No!! :( It's like every book I've been waiting on for the last two years has been delayed.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »

My personal favorite is "Moominland Midwinter"

What!? No!! :( It's like every book I've been waiting on for the last two years has been delayed.

Tell me about it!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Don't let the idea "it's for children" throw you off.  I'm a generation older than you and I just re-read several of the Moomin books.  They are profound and thoughtful, like many of the best "children's" books ("The Wind in the Willows," the Pippi Longstocking stories, "The Little Prince") as well as funny, clever, and touching without being sentimental. 

My favorites are "Tales from Moominvalley" ("The Hemulen Who Loved Silence" taught me, a talkative extrovert, a lot about introverts) and "Moominland Midwinter," which has a lot to say about adversity, resilience, and self-discovery.  But you probably want to start with the earlier ones, like "Finn Family Moomintroll."

Happy reading!

Awe man I keep on forgetting to respond to this. But yeah, I agree 100% that there's a lot of media out there that is touching and meaningful enough that you can still enjoy it when you're older. I definitely still enjoy 'The Little Prince' c:

Joxter is the type that never stays in one place for long, but thankfully the Mymble who's Snufkin's mother (a different Mymble from the one we see later on living near the Moomins) always had so many lovers that some of them must have helped with the child rearing! Besides when we meet her she's quite an apt mother of... um... well I think she also forgot how many children she already had by then, and when she and Snufkin are reunited she's made even more.

(Fun fact time, in that same book - Moominpappa's Memoirs - it's made clear that Little My is Snufkin's older sister.)
Yeah, I read somewhere on the internet about the Mymble and how she's had dozens of children with many different lovers, I think if all of them were there actively helping with the child rearing things would be pretty over crowded.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
I can't put down Good Omens... I even fell in that same vice that got me in so many troubles when I was a kid.... reading under the desk during classes!!! Or rather, reading under the desk at the office, which is worse.... I should be able to control myself!!!! Gaaaah, can you end already, blasted book!?!!??!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »
I can't put down Good Omens... I even fell in that same vice that got me in so many troubles when I was a kid.... reading under the desk during classes!!! Or rather, reading under the desk at the office, which is worse.... I should be able to control myself!!!! Gaaaah, can you end already, blasted book!?!!??!
Hehehe. I love that one! I just reread it!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »

Hmmm I've been meaning to re-read that ever since I heard there would be a television series. Thanks for reminding me.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:41 AM »
Hmmm I've been meaning to re-read that ever since I heard there would be a television series. Thanks for reminding me.
Oh yeah, it's been a while since I re-read that. Like, a few months, but that's enough to forget a few details. To the bookshelf!
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
So I went to the bookstore yesterday and found out that they have a manga shelf!!

So I bought some Noragami manga (which I have been looking for for ages) and also this cool viking one called Vinland Saga.

And while I was there I picked up a Terry Pratchet book, Raising Steam, and a random book that looked cool and seems to involve some necromancy and stuff in a fantasy world? idk, haven't read it yet.

My mom was very confused when she saw me poking around the manga area because my parents don't really know about my anime/manga obsession yet? but yeah she seemed fine with it and I was paying anyway so yeah.

Anyway, a trip to the bookstore is always good!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »
So I went to the bookstore yesterday and found out that they have a manga shelf!!

So I bought some Noragami manga (which I have been looking for for ages) and also this cool viking one called Vinland Saga.

And while I was there I picked up a Terry Pratchet book, Raising Steam, and a random book that looked cool and seems to involve some necromancy and stuff in a fantasy world? idk, haven't read it yet.

My mom was very confused when she saw me poking around the manga area because my parents don't really know about my anime/manga obsession yet? but yeah she seemed fine with it and I was paying anyway so yeah.

Anyway, a trip to the bookstore is always good!

AHHH VINLAND SAGA IS SO GOOD. And totally warreants the capslock. You won't regret choosing that one, I think.
...and this reminds me that I am way behind on it, I really should fix that. *_*

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2016, 05:16:54 PM »

Did someone say Vinland Saga because I'm almost sure someone said Vinland Saga!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:47 PM »

I am terribly jelly right now.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
AHHH VINLAND SAGA IS SO GOOD. And totally warreants the capslock. You won't regret choosing that one, I think.
...and this reminds me that I am way behind on it, I really should fix that. *_*
I had been meaning to read Vínland Saga! Except, crap, I just got back from my dad's house and my mom doesn't let me buy comics/manga! (Looong story. -__-) Ugh!

*sulks quietly in a corner*  :'(
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

moonamaija

• Tumblr
« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:54 PM »

Omg, the envy! And that's Bride's Story back there, right? I only have the three first volumes :(

Spoiler: show

Totally on topic cosplay bragging here! Me and bf back in 2013 :D
But Crowley remembered what Heaven was like, and it had quite a few things in common with Hell. You couldn't get a decent drink in either of them, for a start. And the boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.