Author Topic: Eurovision Song contest  (Read 15578 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Eurovision Song contest
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't get that reference - what's the "originally second place business"?  ???
The fact that the national preliminaries had actually been won by Andreas Kümmert.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 05:53:46 AM »
Ah, okay, I didn't think about that anymore. Although I doubt that Germany's chances would have been any better with him.
I agree, the UK song was also fun and the lights show was what I am expecting for Eurovision. ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »
Bumping this one up from oblivion, because the first semifinal is in less than 24 hours.
Will you watch it? Do you have favorites, or plan to leave the songs to be surprises? And WILL IT GET EVEN MORE WEIRD? :D
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
I was at the First Semifinal Jury Rehearsal today! : D

Needless to say, I was pretty impressed - I found last year really blah, but there are so many songs this year that I like. Including a few that are better on stage than in the production video, I think.

I don't want to spoil it too much, so I'll just say that Russia has a really good act, and I loved Cyprus, and the audience seemed really taken with Austria (well, I suppose I can't blame them, the singer is very cute and enthusiastic).

And yeah, we'll be watching tomorrow, too. But, er, on television. Yes.< 3
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 02:20:14 AM »
Yuu: keep us updated on what's going on over there, it sounds like a lot of fun (and I'm getting pleasant flashbacks to the year when Helsinki was the Eurovision city and how things were like)!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 02:22:41 AM »
I've actually never watched this, though I know people who do. Yuuago, I watched that first vid you put up, the Romanian vampire singer, and was just - totally gobsmacked? The dancers were amazing, truly amazing. The singer was strange. I didn't think castrati existed anymore, and his five-o'clock shadow really suggested that he wasn't one, but that vocal range! One wonders if he trained in opera.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 05:04:03 AM »
Yuu: keep us updated on what's going on over there, it sounds like a lot of fun (and I'm getting pleasant flashbacks to the year when Helsinki was the Eurovision city and how things were like)!

IT'S ALL SO VERY SHINY. I am amazed. : D

I've actually never watched this, though I know people who do. Yuuago, I watched that first vid you put up, the Romanian vampire singer, and was just - totally gobsmacked? The dancers were amazing, truly amazing. The singer was strange. I didn't think castrati existed anymore, and his five-o'clock shadow really suggested that he wasn't one, but that vocal range! One wonders if he trained in opera.

AH If that's the video I'm thinking of, Romania's entry from a few years ago, then yeah - Cezar is indeed an opera singer, and he sings countertenor which explains the range. The first time I heard opera acts for Eurovision I was a little bit weirded out, but it grew on me pretty fast. : D

Speaking of dancing - some of the acts I saw last night had some really awesome dancing included in it, it was SO cool to see it in person. *_* And the interval act (or whatever it's called) had some really impressive stuff too.

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
I found last year really blah, but there are so many songs this year that I like.

I'm so glad/relieved! Last year was a bit less than I was hoping for; looking forward to this!
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
I am going to wake up at un ungodly hour in the morning (4am-ish) just so I can watch Eurovision at the other side of the world!!!!! I've so many fun memories tied to the song contest and am so glad that this batch is looking more interesting than last year >"<
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:45 AM »
IT'S ALL SO VERY SHINY. I am amazed. : D

AH If that's the video I'm thinking of, Romania's entry from a few years ago, then yeah - Cezar is indeed an opera singer, and he sings countertenor which explains the range. The first time I heard opera acts for Eurovision I was a little bit weirded out, but it grew on me pretty fast. : D

Speaking of dancing - some of the acts I saw last night had some really awesome dancing included in it, it was SO cool to see it in person. *_* And the interval act (or whatever it's called) had some really impressive stuff too.

Unfortunately Romania had to withdraw this year  :(
Which is sad on it's own (and sad for us, because we lost a lot of votes without Romania)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
Unfortunately Romania had to withdraw this year  :(
Which is sad on it's own (and sad for us, because we lost a lot of votes without Romania)
Yeah I heard about that, it really sucks, especially since they were only told they could not compete like two weeks before the competition. That is very uncool.
But Hungary's song is pretty good - well, I liked their performance, so maybe you'll go to the final at least!

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »
Yeah I heard about that, it really sucks, especially since they were only told they could not compete like two weeks before the competition. That is very uncool.
But Hungary's song is pretty good - well, I liked their performance, so maybe you'll go to the final at least!

I really hope, we can get into the final - so please, cheer for Freddie a little :) Actually I like this song better than the previous years' entries, but the voting is not just about the songs but about the sympathy for the countries...

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
I really hope, we can get into the final - so please, cheer for Freddie a little :) Actually I like this song better than the previous years' entries, but the voting is not just about the songs but about the sympathy for the countries...

Oh yes of course, political voting etc, I know how that goes. But! While it's possible to guess, you never know what will happen for sure. : D Crossing my fingers! < 3

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm gon' be a filthy doubleposter. What did you all think of the 1st semifinal?

Helia, we got our wish, Hungary made it through! < 3 < 3

And ahhh Cyprus, I'm so glad they'll be in the final, I liked their song a lot. And Armenia.

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
I'm gon' be a filthy doubleposter. What did you all think of the 1st semifinal?

Helia, we got our wish, Hungary made it through! < 3 < 3

And ahhh Cyprus, I'm so glad they'll be in the final, I liked their song a lot. And Armenia.

Aw, thanks for the cheering; I've just arrived home for the results, but it made me happy  :D
except... no Iceland? I liked that song...