Author Topic: Covid 19 - Thoughts and feelings  (Read 12886 times)

itstricky

• Tumblr
Re: Covid 19 - Thoughts and feelings
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 11:01:33 PM »
Later reply to this but could use a spot to talk about all of it. I am kind of new to the forum, I had posted a bit and got distracted because I moved to Japan. So I was there when everything started to happen. Actually I was working on an isolated farm when I got called home by my university. (very fun and wild trying to partake in international air travel around then, if I do say so myself)

Japan started to take everything very seriously back in early January. So I had the very unique experience of trying to caution friend back home (Chicago and Detroit USA, can I get a YIKES) about taking things seriously and being safe, only to get the usual responses that were super dismissive and upsetting! It was serious whiplash when they were nearly crying a month later begging me to come home as quickly as possible. I also got a few rants here and there from people telling me that Japan was secretly Worse and More Dangerous than the USA. (hah) (not that i'm saying its totally safe its just a whole different ballpark...) It was also uncomfortable coming home and being perceived as Dangerous because I had been on a plane. (not seeing family for several months and then being told to get in the car and not touch anyone upon meeting again is just uncomfortable, even if they were totally within reason)

(fun side story: they made me wash every single item on me and take a shower as soon as I got home. I have been rereading SSSS as a cope and it was a very similar experience to the decontamination showers they take)

I'm slowly coming to terms that this whole experience has been a bit traumatic... for everyone, which includes myself. I don't usually use words like that because it feels like I'm being too dramatic, but I find it necessary in this case to start feeling better. Not only was I forced into a particularly dangerous situation by being told I had to travel, but I picked up my life and moved out over the course of two days without saying goodbye. I went from feeling safe in a country where I could afford health care if I was sick, and bike anywhere I needed to if I had to buy food, to the chaos that was America in late March. (I had to fill out a survey the other day in which I was asked how often I eat fresh vegetables and I had to respond with "almost never")

I live alone (with my cat of course!) and don't have a car. Frankly I usually forget about the outside world these days unless I somehow have an opportunity to go grocery shopping, and then I do a quick news search. I think I'm starting to feel better but am very stressed as things start to open up and I prepare to go to school again. (!???)

I had been putting off my yearly read through of SSSS because I thought it might be upsetting but truly the most fun I have had is reading through the prologue. I definitely cope well with relatable stories, and I don't think anything I have consumed to date has captured exactly how I felt in early February as much as the prologue. Who knew that something I have been reading for years would become so relatable so suddenly! I was laughing at quips that have filled me with dread until this point.

This has turned into quite a long post! I haven't had much of an opportunity to talk about everything since I came home (except for with my cat of course!) so its refreshing to know that other humans may be on the receiving end of all of this. I hope everyone is taking time for their hearts and brains (and souls) just as much as they are taking care of their health and safety!

It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 12:36:19 AM »
Yesterday my sister visited (after a fashion) to give me a cloth mask that she'd ordered. It was the first time that we'd spoken face to face (sorta) since April - we'd set up an agreement whereby I'd call every day to report in. Philippa has taken the precautions very seriously, wise soul that she is. Apart from that, I have pals on Skype-chat, and another friend who calls mainly to express his thoughts on the pandemic and wonder what will happen to America.

All these make me think how rarely I've spoken to people beyond the bare minimum of shopping. On Monday, I remember how I felt better for a woman taking the time to thank me for making space on the pavement for her roller-blading daughter; a little exchange that's become meaningful.

I remember, too, the times I'd speak my thoughts on what's happening, and the phrase I so frequently uttered; "This is a time like no other." I didn't mean it literally. What I meant is that for just about everyone, in the West at least, there is nothing to compare with COVID-19. Eight decades have passed since the Second World War began, and a century since the (misnamed) Spanish Flu of 1918-1920. Generations that lived in the fear of nuclear destruction find that catastrophe had come upon them quietly, like... well, a thief in the night.

I have a slight advantage in dealing with this situation, inasmuch as I'm used to spending a lot of time in my own head, letting my imagination run free, and rendering them into stories. Róisín, I know, is coping by doing what she always does; the right thing by others.

Be well, everyone.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
can I get a YIKES
YIKES
That is a lot to go through, with the travelling, moving, whiplash, and getting ready for school starting back up. Take care of yourself!

And Yastreb, it's good to hear that you've been able to talk to others a bit more recently, even though as you say you're able to deal with this situation better than a lot of others might.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 02:41:30 PM »
I have been surprised how soon this thread went silent, so I’m very glad to see it resurrected! Particularly I’m surprised with myself, I assumed I would be writing several times into this. I was very distraught at first and I usually unload by sharing.

I have been coping better than I would have thought at the start. Now, I’m living with my family, i.e. husband and two teenagers plus a doggo, we have enough space for everyone and there haven’t been actual lockdowns in Finland so we have been able to go outside throughout. So, I’ve had it very easy compared to many others. At the moment I’m no more than mildly worried on personal level, although the overall situation is getting worse all the time and I of course worry for the countries where the situation is bad. Obviously we may also be facing a second wave, but surprisingly enough I haven’t been very worried about it yet.

I usually tend to worry, maybe I ran out in the spring.

Itstricky, You have had quite an experience, no wonder you feel traumatized! I’m glad we can help you by being here.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »
Itstricky, that sounds like a really unsettling experience, all the chaos of leaving and travelling and then... solitude. It sounds like you're coping well, it's cool that SSSS (and its fans) have helped.

Yastreb, your meaningful little exchange resonated with me. I was in my car rubbing alcohol on my hands prior to taking off my mask after grocery shopping, when another vehicle pulled up beside me, driver's side to driver's side. It was a colleague who I hadn't seen in person since mid-March. He had a quick question, but we ended up chatting "country conference" style for about 10 minutes. It was all pretty inconsequential, but it was very nice to chat face to face, even at 2 m distance. We rib one another a lot, so there was a lot of laughter in those few minutes. I find myself valuing those types of interaction more these days.

Jitter, I like your hypothesis of running out of worry. Maybe that's what happened to me, I'm normally a fretter but I'm feeling quite content.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

itstricky

• Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 01:02:27 AM »
I saw this prose by Mary Oliver recently and it sat well with me, I think its great to allow yourself to be content in these times. Sitting and worrying doesn't do us, or the overall situation, any good. I think a lot of us feel like we should be resisting it because everything looks glum but maybe that's not necessary.

If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy, don’t hesitate. Give in to it. There are plenty of lives and whole towns destroyed or about to be. We are not wise, and not very often kind. And much can never be redeemed. Still, life has some possibility left. Perhaps this is its way of fighting back, that sometimes something happens better than all the riches or power in the world. It could be anything, but very likely you notice it in the instant when love begins. Anyway, that’s often the case. Anyway, whatever it is, don’t be afraid of its plenty. Joy is not made to be a crumb.

Its great to allow those little moments be exciting and happy if they are meant to be.
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 01:38:30 AM »
That is a wise thought! Worth remembering.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »
Jitter, I like your hypothesis of running out of worry. Maybe that's what happened to me, I'm normally a fretter but I'm feeling quite content.
Welp, I seem to have an infinite supply of worry, because I'm nowhere near being calm these days. Or ever, for that matter.

Also,
can I get a YIKES
YIKES. That's one hell of an unpleasant experience you've gone through, itstricky. You have every right to be traumatized.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
I will admit, getting a haircut during a pandemic and a hurricane was not my brightest moment. In our defense, we didn't expect the rains to hit until a couple hours later, but they actually hit just as we were leaving. We're fine, we just lost power for a couple days and there were a lot of downed trees and branches on the roads but nothing was damaged.

It's interesting going outside now, since I so rarely left the house these past couple months. A lot of people are good about social distancing and wearing masks, but then there are some people who completely disregard everything and stand right behind you at the farmers' market without wearing their mask properly (I'm not mad about it, why would you think that /s).
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 02:46:04 AM »
Here's an interesting article about the Pandemic of 1918 to 1920, and what should have been learned from it, but was forgotten.

https://crafty.diply.com/139417/1918-pandemic-guidelines-reveal-that-people-werent-listening-bac

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana

"History repeats itself; the first time as tragedy, the second as farce.”
Karl Marx

"They are dying. That’s true. It is what it is."
Donald Trump
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 05:49:43 AM »
Yastreb, thank you for putting this up. So very true!

Róisín

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 11:44:55 PM »
And a nasty piece of info from Utah: mink on a farm there were tested after they started dropping dead, and turned up positive for Covid, also having infected some of their handlers. We already knew cats could catch it. I wonder what other animals are vulnerable? Scary.

lumilaulu

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »
Yeah, that's happened at least twice in the Netherlands, IIRC. There have been a few instances of dogs getting it too.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2020, 04:31:52 AM »
There are in fact now 30 European Mink farms that have been infected with COVID-19 in the Netherlands. It's worrisome, the European mink is already critically endangered as is. That said, they seem to be infected from human contact mostly, so keeping them away from us and us away from them seems to be enough, and they've been testing preventatively on minks that have died for any reason in order to catch it and place necessary regulations in place as early as possible - current spread is within estimates. And there aren't really any wild ones here to spread it among.
Am notified of private messages via email.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
And a nasty piece of info from Utah: mink on a farm there were tested after they started dropping dead, and turned up positive for Covid, also having infected some of their handlers. We already knew cats could catch it. I wonder what other animals are vulnerable? Scary.

I know dogs have been known to catch it. : (

Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man