Author Topic: Music that fits SSSS?  (Read 71030 times)

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
Re: Music that fits SSSS?
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2016, 02:39:26 AM »
I nominate the final part of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Variations (32:09 onwards) as Spleipnope's theme...

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
Purple Wyrm: I laughed so hard when I read your post, because a few weeks ago, I heard that song on the radio while in the car with my dad and I thought about Sigrun, too! Props for the nice translation, btw, without speaking the language :)

(Also sorry, I'm new on the forum and haven't gotten the hang of the commands for quotes and all that stuff, I'm very inexperienced with forums in general.)
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
Well, I had a giant post of recommendations written out, but my computer decided to randomly go back a page, so.  I'll shorten it up for my own sake. Bizarre URLs on Last.fm are due to the accents and such in the artist names.

Obviously, anything Immediate Music/Globus, Two Steps from Hell, Gothic Storm, Groove Addicts, ICON Trailer Music, Really Slow Motion, all of it trailer/production tunes (and by majority, action, horror, and dramatic mood).

Triakel: Swedish folk group that plays almost entirely traditional tunes. Highly recommended if you're a fan of any folk involving "old-time" instruments (fiddle, accordion, etc.).

http://www.last.fm/music/Triakel

Valravn: Danish band (split 2013) that merges Faroese/Danish/Norwegian folk melodies and styles into electronic dark pop. A bizarre, but very well-done mix of past and present. Started out playing mostly folk tunes but later wrote their own.

http://www.last.fm/music/Valravn

Vàli: Dark ambient folk from Norway. Perfect for travel sequences in an apocalyptic world. Has two albums that I'm aware of, both excellent, featuring mostly guitar, cello, and flute.

http://www.last.fm/music/V%C3%A0li

Árstíðir: Beautiful acoustic music that blends Icelandic folk with hymns and some modern elements. Some recent fame for their collaboration with Anneke van Giersbergen on a classical album (their tune Heyr himna smiður was featured all over the Internet after an impromptu a capella performance in a train station). Absolutely beautiful and laid-back. Highly recommend all of their albums and said collaboration record with Giersbergen.

http://www.last.fm/music/%C3%81rst%C3%AD%C3%B0ir

If anyone has a specific request ("I like so-and-so, what should I check out next") I have a lot of music in my collection and can probably help you find something, so feel free to ask!  More to come soon.
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2017, 04:28:24 AM »
That tune from the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime has been getting into my head each time I read a new page of Chapter 14. In the anime itself, it plays once, in the emotional aftermath of a battle during which the protagonist had to kill a villain that was a "came back wrong" version or his mother and saw said villain's surrogate child run away crying. I feel the SSSS crew got a just about equal emotional load here.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »
Bumping in, haven't followed the thread, but as I was listening to D-songs for one of the fanfic-challenges I stumbled over Mikkel's theme song:

Less Than Jake - Devil in My DNA

And I just... Gosh blast it, it was so Mikkel I almost stopped in the middle of the road to look for the jaw I dropped!

Edit:
Let me add Sigrun's Theme Song as well:
OTTAWAN -  D.I.S.C.O

You might not agree for the first minute, but keep listening and it'll make sense!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:44:31 AM by Windfighter »
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »
Every time I listen to Boulevard of Broken Dreams (which is a lot), it always reminds me of Lalli.
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Harper

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
I have found so much great music on this thread. I actually started a Spotify playlist for SSSS right as I started reading, so that I could feel "immersed" I suppose. It's pretty strongly inspired by this thread and Nordic folk music generally. You can see it here if you have Spotify (it's giaaaant be warned):

https://open.spotify.com/user/windhovergyre/playlist/6oiA3V7DOxZ2TyofthCSss

And so I can contribute- I just adore the band Frigg. They're a (mostly) Finnish (mostly) traditional strings group, and I think a lot of their music fits SSSS. They can do intense upbeat music like this:

Or more somber, thoughtful music like this:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
I have found so much great music on this thread. I actually started a Spotify playlist for SSSS right as I started reading, so that I could feel "immersed" I suppose. It's pretty strongly inspired by this thread and Nordic folk music generally. You can see it here if you have Spotify (it's giaaaant be warned):

https://open.spotify.com/user/windhovergyre/playlist/6oiA3V7DOxZ2TyofthCSss

And so I can contribute- I just adore the band Frigg. They're a (mostly) Finnish (mostly) traditional strings group, and I think a lot of their music fits SSSS. They can do intense upbeat music like this:

Or more somber, thoughtful music like this:

THANK YOU, I've been wanting to make a SSSS spotify playlist for forever now, but have been extremely intimidated at the prospect. Now I don't have to! :D
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »
This has always reminded me of Reynír, and, to a lesser extent, Tuuri. It's teeechnically a coming out song, but I took the lyrics a little too literally.

:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
I personally declare "Endless night" from the The Lion King musical the soundtrack of the last few pages and possibly of any time skipped between Chapters 14 and 15.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
I found that Windswept by Crywolf was rather fitting

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
I was just adding a Tvtropes entry about the Odense hospital flashback and realized that this music would be quite fitting for it.

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
This song may just work soon enough, considering how our crew is planning a return trip and some current issues:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #238 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
This song may just work soon enough, considering how our crew is planning a return trip and some current issues:

Never heard of this game before now, but I have a feeling I want the soundtrack already. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  :D
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:05 AM »
While listening to music on YouTube to get me through the work day I realised that Ásgeir Trausti's Torrent seems to fit pretty well with SSSS. Maybe it's just because he's from Iceland and everything even faintly Nordic/Scandinavian makes me think of the comic, but check out the lyrics and see how well they seem to fit the expedition...

Gods of iron clashing, wind in battle through the night
Tears will fall, and strength is needed to overcome
This old house is full of leaks and mold on the walls
Dragons of the mind are lurking in the shadows

Torrents wash away
Everything
Raindrops flowing all around

Queen takes King, the pawns are falling onto the ground
Over you and me, there is rising the pink moon
Merciless though the wind takes hold with freezing cold
Come, my friend, sit with me, take council in the warmth

Torrents wash away
Everything
Raindrops flowing all around

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t