Author Topic: SSSS Crafting and Applied Arts Museum  (Read 54598 times)

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: SSSS Crafting and Applied Arts Museum
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
Martti: those little flower embroideries are lovely!  And if you are hand sewing heavy fabric, do you have a thimble? Or a saddlers' palm if you can find one? I find such tools very useful for sewing canvas or leather; if you go to a craft shop you should find several gadgets for making heavy hand sewing easier and safer. Such tools were once used by shoemakers, harness repairers and the like, and now for leather crafts.
I've never mastered a sewing machine, but can hand sew well enough. One of my sisters is a tailor, and she thinks it's very silly of me, but I've never managed to machine-sew without breaking the machine or sewing my fingers!

well, I know what thimble is, I saw it when I was little, but never used (used it as a toy like using as a hat or glass or something for a barbie-like doll or something lol), but we don't have one here. when it was really hard I usually picked something metal around (mostly scissors) to help me push through.
I never knew it was for that. I asked my grandma (she is the only one who had) what it was, she said it protects my finger to be sewn to the cloths, but I didn't image that way UNTIL NOW that it could help me push just through the fabric, wow....

and I actually sew my finger/hand to some fabric few times (not with sewing machine). I was always laughing like "oops I sew my finger to it again" xD
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »
well, I know what thimble is, I saw it when I was little, but never used (used it as a toy like using as a hat or glass or something for a barbie-like doll or something lol), but we don't have one here. when it was really hard I usually picked something metal around (mostly scissors) to help me push through.
I never knew it was for that. I asked my grandma (she is the only one who had) what it was, she said it protects my finger to be sewn to the cloths, but I didn't image that way UNTIL NOW that it could help me push just through the fabric, wow....

and I actually sew my finger/hand to some fabric few times (not with sewing machine). I was always laughing like "oops I sew my finger to it again" xD

I'm also particularly fond of the pioneer thimble (at least, that's what my mom calls it). It looks like the fingertip of a leather glove has been cut off, except it has a little circle of metal built in to the pad. I find it much easier to use than the regular type of thimble because the leather works better for picking things up and is generally more comfortable.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2015, 10:51:17 AM »
Ana, wherever did your mom find one of those? Or did she make it? I haven't seen one in about sixty years; my great-grandmother had one which her father had made for her.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »
Ana, wherever did your mom find one of those? Or did she make it? I haven't seen one in about sixty years; my great-grandmother had one which her father had made for her.

I honestly don't know. My mom has had a few since before I can remember, and because they're so hard to find, we keep the ones we have in special places so that we don't lose them. I think I saw them for sale in Joann Fabrics once...
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Thanks Haiz at Tiny Details thread, I had some pictures as a reference to make insignias. But they are tiny, so I might be not accurate with details.
I made two: swan and owl. To my mind, my owl is a bit cat-like ^^'

Materials: glass (for swan: 4,5x6,5cm; for owl: 3,5x4,5 cm), colours & contours for glass, micropearls, foil.
Backround: for swan - book on Celtic ornaments; for owl - fur.

Some details under cut.
Spoiler: show
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2015, 10:57:17 AM »

These are so beautiful! I'm trying to imagine the size and I'm just wondering how you managed to even make them, those are indeed tiny. You have the steadiest hand ever.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
Thanks Haiz at Tiny Details thread, I had some pictures as a reference to make insignias. But they are tiny, so I might be not accurate with details.

oh dang these are gorgeous O: the swan cross has SO MANY DETAILS and the blue glass is so pretty
you'll know where to find me.

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »

Materials: glass (for swan: 4,5x6,5cm; for owl: 3,5x4,5 cm), colours & contours for glass, micropearls, foil.

Some details under cut.

These are so pretty!
The owl being cat-like is a plus  ;)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »

Background: for swan - book on Celtic ornaments; for owl - fur.

Holy cow, those are gorgeous!  They look straight out of the High Middle Ages.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »

Some details under cut.

Wow these are beautiful please make all the things into glass. ALL the things. Then post pictures so that I can look at them. I love these so much wow.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Róisín

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »
Olga: These are incredibly beautiful! Would you consider making a tutorial on how these were created? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be fascinated to see the process.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »
Olga: These are incredibly beautiful! Would you consider making a tutorial on how these were created? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be fascinated to see the process.

I'm going to have to agree with you: these are amazing! And would you believe that Olga already made a tutorial for one of her previous works? It's really cool, you should check it out!

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
Yes, I saw and admired the previous tutorial. These look as if made a little differently? I know the basic work is likely similar, but some of the methods of the inlay look different?

theamynator

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2015, 12:09:55 AM »
I made SSSS-themed cookies once. Now that I've noticed this thread I regret not taking pictures. :'(

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2015, 03:43:34 AM »

Some details under cut.

I finally popped my head into this thread! And I'm happy I did--this is beautiful! c:
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz