Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 46201 times)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2015, 11:21:40 AM »
Laufey - I actually got so interested after seeing your cosplay that I went ahead and read the whole thing :P I think that photoshoot really captures the feel of the characters and story. Nice job

Solo - That sounds interesting like fun, it's so nice when you get to lean new things and get free food. I've never really worked properly with leather before, but from experience doing other things first time, only one injury sounds grand!
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Any advice on where to buy sequins, and how to attach them, and how far apart they can be while still providing distinct lines?  The Marching Abominable colors are red, yellow, and black, so I think I can make a suitable basic performance outfit by adding yellow sequins to a red shirt (no, no phaser burns) and black pants I already have.   :D

Are there any easy sequin attachment methods that are also fairly durable?  I'm a lazy cuss, I'll confess upfront!   ;)  Or alternatives to sequins, cause neither the Professora nor I actually sew beyond buttons and basic repairs.  Most of my sewing was unit patches for JROTC in high school...in the 70s.   ::)

Or ideas for band-like costumes that aren't actually double-lined to fake something like a breast plate.  We're Abominable, not Spit 'n' Polish! :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:55:57 PM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »
Any advice on where to buy sequins, and how to attach them, and how far apart they can be while still providing distinct lines?  The Marching Abominable colors are red, yellow, and black, so I think I can make a suitable basic performance outfit by adding yellow sequins to a red shirt (no, no phaser burns) and black pants I already have.   :D

Are there any easy sequin attachment methods that are also fairly durable?  I'm a lazy cuss, I'll confess upfront!   ;)  Or alternatives to sequins, cause neither the Professora nor I actually sew beyond buttons and basic repairs.  Most of my sewing was unit patches for JROTC in high school...in the 70s.   ::)

Or ideas for band-like costumes that aren't actually double-lined to fake something like a breast plate.  We're Abominable, not Spit 'n' Polish! :D

I have absolutely no experience sewing sequins in amounts greater than 1, but they're sometimes sold in these strands which might be helpful for what you're trying to do.

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
Or alternatives to sequins, cause neither the Professora nor I actually sew beyond buttons and basic repairs.  Most of my sewing was unit patches for JROTC in high school...in the 70s.   ::)

Well, you could try fabric puffy paint. I don't know how durable it is when you want it to stay on, but I've had an impossible time trying to get it off of something that I didn't want it on ::). And it would take much less time than sewing sequins.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #259 on: September 26, 2015, 11:53:29 AM »
I have absolutely no experience sewing sequins in amounts greater than 1, but they're sometimes sold in these strands which might be helpful for what you're trying to do.

I didn't know sequins came strung together like that.  You've given me an idea!  ;D

Well, you could try fabric puffy paint. I don't know how durable it is when you want it to stay on, but I've had an impossible time trying to get it off of something that I didn't want it on ::). And it would take much less time than sewing sequins.

Thanks, Ana--I'll check that out.  At least I won't be quite as clueless when I visit the store.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:56:40 AM by DaveBro (Phasing out "ReturnOf") »
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #260 on: October 04, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts entirely as cosplay, but it could be used for that, so I'm going with it. After over two years of work, I finally finished my 4th Doctor scarf. The picture doesn't do it justice, because I couldn't find anyone to model it for me. But here it is!

And for those of you who don't know how freaking long this thing is, here is the original it is based off of.

:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #261 on: October 04, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts entirely as cosplay, but it could be used for that, so I'm going with it. After over two years of work, I finally finished my 4th Doctor scarf. The picture doesn't do it justice, because I couldn't find anyone to model it for me. But here it is!

You are really a hero! =)
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #262 on: October 04, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »

This is a most wonderous doctor who scarf! *steals*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #263 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

4 is the *best* Doctor.  (Not coincidentally, also my first Doctor)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »
This is a most wonderous doctor who scarf! *steals*

DON'T YOU DARE. I worked way too long on this to get it stolen by you *hugs scarf tighter*

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »

That looks like it could cause some discomfort if someone steps on it/it gets caught in something.

Mélusine

« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »
That looks like it could cause some discomfort if someone steps on it/it gets caught in something.
I'm always wondering how many times the Doctor has fallen because of the scarf ::)
But good job, Ana ! :D Now I want to knit...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »

Actually, if I recall correctly, the actor there (Tom Baker) once tripped on the scarf and broke his collarbone. After which, the scarf was shortened considerably >_> (Don't worry, I sized mine down a bit so that it doesn't drag on the floor. It could get caught in stuff, though)

I'm always wondering how many times the Doctor has fallen because of the scarf ::)
But good job, Ana ! :D Now I want to knit...

Always knit! Or crochet in my case. After the scarf, I made a tiny turtle ^-^

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:15:42 PM by Ana Nymus »

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Mélusine

« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Always knit! Or crochet in my case.
I'm trying to learn and failing for now. :-[
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
I'm trying to learn and failing for now. :-[

Don't give up! It took me years to figure it out and be able to crochet easily, and I had the wonderful help of my grandma, who is a crochet master. If you find a project that you really want to do, it'll help motivate you to improve and learn. I'd suggest signing up over at Ravelry, they've got a ton of projects of all sizes and skill levels, and lots of people to ask for help if you're stuck.

I also speak SCIENCE!!!