Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 46203 times)

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
Re: Cosplay (non-SSSS)
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »
Oh just so you know curry
I have an awesome tunic thing that is perfect for doing cosplays of God Teirs
It's John's color, but the Rouge design, and it's super cool I love it
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
Thanks so much! This really helped :) I actually don't need a wig if I keep my haircut! (I have perfect Dave hair if I style it) except it is brown, but I don't need to be completely canon. So much cosplay ing will be done! Thanks, Curry! <>

No problem, and I hope you have lots of fun! ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧
YEET

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
Oh just so you know curry
I have an awesome tunic thing that is perfect for doing cosplays of God Teirs
It's John's color, but the Rouge design, and it's super cool I love it

Ooooh cool! I did a Rogue of Void Roxy cosplay once, lemme see if I have pictures :0
Spoiler: yes. yes i do • show

Just one and it's a silly selfie and you can't even see the tunic. NICE
This was the first time I cosplayed Roxy, don't judge my sketchy makeup pleas >_>
YEET

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:08 PM »
Okay so.

I need cosplay help I guess?

Hi, I'm Nimphy. And this shall be the first time I cosplay.

Yay!

So for the first time, ofc, I wanted to do something important but not too complicated. SSSS was an obvious choice, and it seems that the only non-complicated character is Reynir!

Because he's not very complicated, yes? Yes?

So thanks to this thread I found tutorials for gloves and stuff, BUT... Can anyone give tips on the tunic/dress thingy? I am at a complete loss. Also, what materials might be good for a con in early November?

Well, as a one-time cosplayer, I feel completely qualified to answer your questions Not really I don't even know what I'm doing but I want to be helpful.
Spoiler:  because that turned out to be much longer than I anticipated • show
So you have a couple of options available to you for the tunic. The easiest in terms of sewing would be to find some sort of coat that looks similar and alter it to fit canon. This will involve lots of shopping in thrift stores and the like, but if you don't want to sew everything yourself, it's a good option. Your next choice is to make the tunic yourself and find a pattern that most closely matches canon. Again, there will be a lot of searching through catalogues, but a lot of times it's easier to make alterations to a pattern than try to alter an already-made coat (for example you'll have extra fabric ready to add things, and you'll be able to get just the right colors instead of trying to dye it). This takes some sewing knowledge because garments aren't beginner sewing projects, but from the sound of your post, you're not too worried about the sewing. Your last option is to draft a pattern on your own. I'd only recommend this if you have past experience sewing clothes, because it isn't easy. It also takes a few trial runs to get right, so you'll have to invest in a bit of cheap test-fabric (or reuse the curtains your friend is so kindly giving away  ;) ). For an overcoat like the main characters have it'll be a bit easier because it's not supposed to be tightly fitted to the body (and if you have a feminine figure you'll want to hide some curves anyway). These are your options. All of them will take a considerable amount of time, so choose the one that works best for you. Here's the link to the Uniform Overanalyzing Thread, which is definitely helpful for getting all those little details right!

As for the material, I'd make it out of something that you would normally wear in early November. I don't know exactly what your climate is like, but where I live, November is cold but not yet snowing. So for me, I might go with a medium-weight fabric like flannel (keeping in mind that you'll be wearing plenty of layers as part of the costume). But if your Novembers are warmer or colder, you may want a different material. You should also take into consideration the weight and drape of the fabric, as that will play in to how closely it matches the comic. Go to a fabric store and play around with the fabrics: you'll find one that's appropriately Reynir-y :)

And finally, just some general advice: go slow and check everything twice. You don't want your project to be ruined by a wonky seam or a hasty decision when it could have been easily avoided. And don't forget to have fun! Cosplaying is all about having fun after all, and running around goofily dressed as a fictional character ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »
There was a bit of conversation happening about bias tape in the main cosplay thread, so I found a few resources and tutorials for yall B)

List of Refs + Tuts
Nice Tutorial
Make Your Own Bias Tape

As for the tablet weaving, yeah that would be a lot harder but, here are some tutorials for beginners:

Little Sketch, but good Tutorial
Lots of Nice Pictures

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
So today we did a little photoshoot at Grótta, Seltjarnarnes. We got there at the low tide so we could easily cross to the island and it just... has so awesome photoshoot locations for a webcomic as wonderfully gloomy as Judecca can be (at worst at least, although arguably I'm cosplaying Nayko at her happiest moment orange dress). I'm putting the photos under a spoiler cut because the character I'm cosplaying, Nayko, has large scars on the sides of her mouth and I'm ok-ish at faking scars with make-up.

Spoiler: show

Yayyy! And now after all that gloominess... THE BLOOPER REEL.

Have you any idea how many times I got whipped in the eye by my wig, because I lost count. It hurts a lot by the way. :Þ

Bo-boop-be-doo...

This is me trying to stand still. The wind was so bad it almost threw me off this ledge a few times so a lot of the photos we got here look like the above - well, what few photos we got before I gave up and ran for cover. :D

Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
This one is my favorite :) Okay, we don't see a lot of the cosplay and character I don't know but the orange dress in this landscape is perfect.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2015, 05:03:06 PM »
So today we did a little photoshoot at Grótta, Seltjarnarnes. We got there at the low tide so we could easily cross to the island and it just... has so awesome photoshoot locations for a webcomic as wonderfully gloomy as Judecca can be (at worst at least, although arguably I'm cosplaying Nayko at her happiest moment orange dress). I'm putting the photos under a spoiler cut because the character I'm cosplaying, Nayko, has large scars on the sides of her mouth and I'm ok-ish at faking scars with make-up.

Have you any idea how many times I got whipped in the eye by my wig, because I lost count. It hurts a lot by the way. :Þ

Bo-boop-be-doo...

This is me trying to stand still. The wind was so bad it almost threw me off this ledge a few times so a lot of the photos we got here look like the above - well, what few photos we got before I gave up and ran for cover. :D

Ahh these are wonderful! I'm rather amazed that you got such good shots even with the wind. Love the work you did with the scars, by the way; looks great.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »

Bo-boop-be-doo...

I know I said this earlier, but I really really like the orange of the dress. Those pictures look great! The scars look so real  :o
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2015, 06:33:38 PM »

Dem be pretty convincing scars. Is it the kind of makeup that contracts the skin to make a scarring effect or is it adhesive latex?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2015, 06:47:12 PM »
Dem be pretty convincing scars. Is it the kind of makeup that contracts the skin to make a scarring effect or is it adhesive latex?

Rigid collodion, it's super handy for making convincing scars as long as they don't have to be deep (for some people it works really well but for some reason I can only achieve a superficial effect). For better gore effect I'd go for latex, but since Nayko's scars seem to be rather shallow the scarring liquid will do.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »

aaa the cosplay and the weather is absolutely lovely, but the art in this wall is REALLY COOL? reminds me of - hang on this isn't the picture thread, welp, i'll nyoom over to there
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:37 AM »
Rigid collodion, it's super handy for making convincing scars as long as they don't have to be deep (for some people it works really well but for some reason I can only achieve a superficial effect). For better gore effect I'd go for latex, but since Nayko's scars seem to be rather shallow the scarring liquid will do.

I think part of the reason why the scars look so dramatic on Joker cosplayers (for instance) is the colour of the makeup they apply. Your scars look like they have had at least a year to heal. If you look at pictures of people with actual Glasgow smiles (Tommy Flanagan for instance) or fencing scars you'll notice that the scars don't actually look that dramatic in most cases.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »
I think part of the reason why the scars look so dramatic on Joker cosplayers (for instance) is the colour of the makeup they apply. Your scars look like they have had at least a year to heal. If you look at pictures of people with actual Glasgow smiles (Tommy Flanagan for instance) or fencing scars you'll notice that the scars don't actually look that dramatic in most cases.

Nayko's look actually even paler, but those wouldn't show up in photos at all so I had to use some red... plus I used a bit of artistic licence in general and I'm not even sorry because it was so cold. :-\

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #254 on: September 20, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »
So, yesterday Solo spent about 8 hours stitching leather greaves  because there was free food involved because she's a nice person like that.

I've never worked with leather before, but my friend was like "Do you want to come over and help me?" and I thought, why not? It was actually really neat and I only injured myself once (and not very much, either) which is amazing given how accident-prone I am. I could've totally kept going if I didn't have to get home before the buses stopped running XD

:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden: